Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2018, 18:57   #1

Boat: Cabot 36 - Que Sera
Best seacock for saltwater intake in head

Looking for recommendations on the best 3/4" seacock for this application, which involves more use of the shutoff handle than any other seacock on my boat. I'm leaning toward the Groco BV-750 ball valve, which appears to have a particularly rugged handle, but also considering the Spartan barrel valve. My original 41-year-old valve is showing its age. Thanks in advance for any wisdom --
chuck g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 19:00   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Best seacock for saltwater intake in head

I do not have Spartan experience, but my Groco’s seem fine, and the more they are used, it seems to be the better they work, if there is a problem it comes from them not being exercised for months.
I think if frequently exercised, then they have a whole lot of cycles in them.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 20:15   #3

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Best seacock for saltwater intake in head

I recently purchase a solid bronze Spartan to replace the seacock for my engine. It's been sitting on my desk for a couple of months now & it's really quite impressive. The Groco FBV has a chrome plated brass ball which I don't recommend. The Groco BV has a stainless steel ball which costs more but will hold up much better. The Perko seacock has a plastic ball. I'd pass on that. The Spartan does cost twice as much as the better Groco but there's a Spartan on Ebay that's priced well:

https://www.ebay.com/i/172888783356?chn=ps
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 06:12   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I think the Groco BV series are the best seacocks on the market. I don’t understand the Fascination with Spartan tapered cone seacocks. They’re way over priced and require more maintenance than a ball valve design.
Old 14-07-2018, 07:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I think the Groco BV series are the best seacocks on the market. I don’t understand the Fascination with Spartan tapered cone seacocks. They’re way over priced and require more maintenance than a ball valve design.
The only reason people choose a plug valve (Spartan) over a modern ball valve is they see them recommended in old books. The magic invention required to make a ball valve work was the Teflon seats. Before that, the plug valve was the best, not any more.

A well built ball valve with Teflon seats that is lubricated annually, and protected from galvanic or stray current corrosion is a forever investment. If you are going to use a ball valve as a seacock, get one BUILT as a seacock, not a general plumbing valve.

Materials of construction will be appropriate, threads will match (if you don’t know the difference between NSP and NTP you probably should be working on seacocks), and the handles will be made of something corrosion resistant.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 08:02   #6

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
The only reason people choose a plug valve (Spartan) over a modern ball valve is they see them recommended in old books. The magic invention required to make a ball valve work was the Teflon seats. Before that, the plug valve was the best, not any more.

A well built ball valve with Teflon seats that is lubricated annually, and protected from galvanic or stray current corrosion is a forever investment. If you are going to use a ball valve as a seacock, get one BUILT as a seacock, not a general plumbing valve.

Materials of construction will be appropriate, threads will match (if you don’t know the difference between NSP and NTP you probably should be working on seacocks), and the handles will be made of something corrosion resistant.
Perhaps you mean NPT and NPS.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 08:11   #7

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
A well built ball valve with Teflon seats that is lubricated annually, and protected from galvanic or stray current corrosion is a forever investment.
A well built tapered cone seacock that is lubricated annually, and protected from galvanic or stray current corrosion is a forever investment.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 08:27   #8

I'm a little surprised that Forespar's marelon seacocks haven't been mentioned. Non corrosive and typically non binding they are a very viable choice.
Old 14-07-2018, 08:32   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have seven Groco ball valves.
Five were put out the Boat in 1987 when it was manufactured, two more were added about 2015.
You can’t tell any difference between them operationally. How long is a valve expected to last?
The ones one the sink drains are stiff, I’m sure that is because they are really never exercised and I assume something builds up on the ball.
None have ever been lubricated, what line would you use on a synthetic valve seat?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 08:38   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbo View Post
I'm a little surprised that Forespar's marelon seacocks haven't been mentioned. Non corrosive and typically non binding they are a very viable choice.
We have started to replace ours with Trudesign valves cheaper than real bronze and no problems with corrosion.

Manual Ball Valve | TRUDESIGN

The first was the heads discharge valve which replaced a rather dubious chromed brass valve.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seacock Kits.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	173563  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 08:46   #11

The one bad thing about ball valves is many have a small opening through the ball. If you want true size and flow you need to buy up a size. Go look at the bore through the ball on say a 1" ball valve. It's probably something like 3/4".
There may be true to size ones out there though... Like Scout said, a tapered cone seacock is a lifetime investment. :>)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 08:48   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have seven Groco ball valves.
Five were put out the Boat in 1987 when it was manufactured, two more were added about 2015.
You can’t tell any difference between them operationally. How long is a valve expected to last?
The ones one the sink drains are stiff, I’m sure that is because they are really never exercised and I assume something builds up on the ball.
None have ever been lubricated, what line would you use on a synthetic valve seat?
I use silicone brake grease to lube the Teflon seals.
Old 14-07-2018, 08:54   #13

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck g View Post
Looking for recommendations on the best 3/4" seacock for this application, which involves more use of the shutoff handle than any other seacock on my boat. I'm leaning toward the Groco BV-750 ball valve, which appears to have a particularly rugged handle, but also considering the Spartan barrel valve. My original 41-year-old valve is showing its age. Thanks in advance for any wisdom --
The Cape Dory Board • View topic - Spartans Seacocks For Sale

This may be just what you are looking for.....at a bargain price
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 09:00   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Marelon or bronze (not the expensive tru-hull [bloody useless - sold as safety asset] but mushrooms and vent)
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 09:25   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
Marelon or bronze
Ok, good so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
(not the expensive tru-hull [bloody useless - sold as safety asset] but mushrooms and vent)
And the problem is? with thousands of yachts safely floating about with them all over the world.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, salt, water