Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2015, 11:46   #31

Re: Best Fresh Water Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I don't know the details on how the pump works, but can assure you that the motor does run at variable speeds - producing variable output.

It is possible that it also uses a bypass valve to help control output at lower levels, because its lowest speed is still higher than that on our old Shurflo VSP.

However, it just isn't a problem for us at those low flow levels, so there is no need for us to add an external valve and figure out how to close off the internal pump valve (is this even doable?).

Mark
Yes, it is doable, But this type of setup is designed for a consent speed pump.
mramoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 12:47   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I didn't mean to imply that we pile our chain on deck. Our chain crosses 7-8' from the bow roller to the windlass and straight down into the anchor locker.

I rinse down the pile of chain in the anchor locker. The anchor locker has no connection to the interior of the boat and drains directly overboard.

Walking on our salty decks sure does track the salt around and into the boat for us. Including onto the cockpit cushions. And when we sit behind reefs in the trade winds, the salt gets into the cockpit and all over the dodger, bimini, frame, decks, etc.

A pilot house provides a good half-way house for trapping and containing this. Being a catamaran, our insides are very open to our outsides, and on the same level.

Mark
Ah--so you have a similar chain set up as we do. We find that it takes the entire distance from bow roller to windlass to get all the mud off the chain sometimes. Our anchor locker can be pumped out--it is segregated from the bilge--but is low down and doesn't drain it must be pumped. All the more reason for our chain to be spotless when it goes through the windlass. It would be easy for you to set up the sort of fresh water mist that would be useful--because it could go into the chain locker and drain freely.

Yes--the wind blows salt onto everything on your boat when there's salt spray in the air. Sparkles and pretty as it builds up but not the best for keeping things corrosion-free is it?

Largely because I like things clean and it's too hard to keep things clean with people walking all over the cushions in the cockpit. In the cockpit, we sit on individual cushions (the square throwing cushions or folding stadium cushions, or a washable beanbag (see Freebag)) but don't have fitted "cockpit cushions" nor do we have permanent cushions in the charthouse. I regularly hose down the entire cockpit with salt water. With a northern cruising grounds and charthouse to protect us from the elements (like a low pilothouse) we also don't have a dodger, Bimini, etc, over the outside steering station. I have sprayed down our sail covers with salt water when they are dirty and fresh water is unavailable. Dirt is less desired than salt and thus far all is good.

Since we are sailing in cooler climates, we have no reason to keep all the hatches open to the salt spray that you may experience in your more tropical (sounds like) environment.
Old 23-11-2015, 05:52   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Update if anyone is interested.
I installed this pump AQUA KING™ II Fresh Water Pumps

It replaced a Jabsco diaphragm pump, goal was less pulsation in water flow, a quieter pump and greater flow. It is smoother and quieter, it also draws considerably more power, I had to replace my 10 amp breaker with a 15 amp one as it would trip the 10.

It did not appreciably increase flow rate, the Jabsco 3.3 GPM flow rate was higher than a single shower apparently uses, so I did not get an increase in flow rate. I did get a quieter, smoother pump but it draws about 50% more power.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water