Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2013, 16:32   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Best bilge pump to keep the bilge as dry as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv.antea View Post
To Jedi: good ideas, indeed. You got a make and a part # for a suitable 12V timer relay?
Good looking equipment. Does it tollerate a bit of oil?

Consider also a manual over-ride switch at the binacle. I have a pilot light on the level switch and a run light. Also, a manual switch to drive the bilge level to "pumping air". You can quickly judge how long it takes to fill to the switch. I know that is about 5 gallons. Easy to estimate a leak rate.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:27   #17

Boat: TOM LACK, CATALAC 9 M

Hello, we just bought some new ones for our Cat. We bought 4 of them to install in every underneath space... just in case. And after reading professional and customers reviews the best quality-price which is automatic and can run dry is :
Amazon.com: Seasense Auto 800 GPH Bilge Pump: Sports & Outdoors

''Let's do it!''
ChristianneCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:44   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianneCS View Post
Hello, we just bought some new ones for our Cat. We bought 4 of them to install in every underneath space... just in case. And after reading professional and customers reviews the best quality-price which is automatic and can run dry is :
Amazon.com: Seasense Auto 800 GPH Bilge Pump: Sports & Outdoors

Looks like a good deal. I assume 12 VDC since I could not find volts and amps specs. Couldn't find gpm/head data either. Should be fine in a CAT probably with shallow lift. You might want to do a rate check before you install - just so you know. Use the same hose and length you will have installed and lift the hose to the same height. See how long it takes to empty a 5-gallon bucket. I have my pump installed with an alarm and manual over-ride switch so I can command it on from the cockpit. Pilot light next to the switch tells me any time it is running.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 14:29   #19

Boat: TOM LACK, CATALAC 9 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Looks like a good deal. I assume 12 VDC since I could not find volts and amps specs. Couldn't find gpm/head data either. Should be fine in a CAT probably with shallow lift. You might want to do a rate check before you install - just so you know. Use the same hose and length you will have installed and lift the hose to the same height. See how long it takes to empty a 5-gallon bucket. I have my pump installed with an alarm and manual over-ride switch so I can command it on from the cockpit. Pilot light next to the switch tells me any time it is running.
Yes, it's a good one and yes it's 12 volt DC (1.9 amp draw) and thanks for the tips. Here more infos about this bilge pump : AUTO 800 GPH BILGE PUMP - seasense

It's very efficient. We have tested it.... with our bait's tank And we have a connetion's setup like yours. A boat professional electrician has just redone all our electrical power. We have 2 X 130 solar pannel with converter + 8 Trojan gofcart batteries with a converter Freedom HF 1800. So we have AC and DC and we are able to be autosufficient for a long time : our goal.

''Let's do it!''
ChristianneCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 12:04   #20
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

I get tired of using the wet/dry vac and was searching the internet for something else for that last 1/2" of water and this thread came up.

Maybe someone has an answer.

I'm thinking maybe a little peristaltic hose pump. Low amps and can be run ddry so just leave it on all the time.
Old 28-07-2015, 12:23   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I get tired of using the wet/dry vac and was searching the internet for something else for that last 1/2" of water and this thread came up.

Maybe someone has an answer.

I'm thinking maybe a little peristaltic hose pump. Low amps and can be run ddry so just leave it on all the time.
To really get that last bit of water you need a diaphragm pump that can pump dry. The downside is that they don't move water very quickly and are really only useful for that last little bit. So you need a system, not just one pump.

Ideally you would have three classes of pumps.
1) A diaphragm for small amount on water. The smaller the better really. We use a 6gph pump for this. Ideally they are located out of the bilge and discharge directly overboard. But since the flow is so slow they can be plumbed to something else. In our case the sink stand pipe.

2) The normal drop in cartridge pump. Reasonable flow, and large hoses will move a decent amount of water. This is what most people think of when they talk about bilge pumps

3) A trash pump. Powered either by a PTO from the engine or its own gas engine. These will move tens of thousands of gallons an hour. This is the only thing that will stop a boat from sinking if you get a hole.

Of course on a small boat it may not be reasonable to invest in all of this, and the related hoses and maintenance.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:13   #22

Take a look at Arid Bilge at Arid Bilge Home. The concept seems quite interesting.
Admiral Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 08:48   #23

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Nelson View Post
Take a look at Arid Bilge at Arid Bilge Home. The concept seems quite interesting.
And very expensive, their 1-zone model starts at $1900.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 13:41   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

A less expensive system that also works http://drybilge.com/
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 15:51   #25

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

We have a Whale bilge pump for our primary which has the advantage of being up and out of the bilge with only the hose leading to the bottom. We can drain the bilge down to maybe 1/4” or so. It depends on how you architect the position of the hose end so that is sits nearly flat to the bottom but not so low that it gets stuff caught in it.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge