Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Do you allow head to be flushed with paper?
Never: I insist all TP be saved, not flushed 6 18.18%
Paper in head is OK. 27 81.82%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2010, 12:27   #1

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
Aw, Crap !

I read an article that most cruisers do not allow anyone to put paper in head but dispose of later in shore side garbage. This practise is to keep head from plugging up. I want to know what others think and what they are doing.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 12:34   #2

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
This very recent thread includes discussion on toilet paper.

One More Harbor Dropping Dye Markers in Holding Tanks
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 12:42   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Last year was my first time on a boat with a head. We chartered in BVI. Doing it again in 29 days! (but who's counting...) I basically told everyone 1-2 sheets max. That was also the same info the moorings gave us as well. Never had a problem the whole trip.

I would say use 10 sheets if you must, but flush in between each one
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 12:59   #4

I'll leave it at this:

Buy a pack of lunch sized paper bags for $2 in a grocery store. Keep them in the head. Buy a couple packs of flushable wet wipes, also keep in head. Use wet wipes after #2. Place in paper bag when done. In port, throw in trash can. At sea, toss out porthole.

Staying clean at sea is tough enough without having a filthy rear end to go with it.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 13:12   #5

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Paper products pumped thru the marine head can and do clog the operation of the head. Paper products can and do lodge in the joker valve, causing backflow of "stuff" to sometimes overflow the head. To much clogging material in a paritialy clogged hose can ruin a daysail. Sometimes paper products float, making a conversation topic.
What I always tell my guest is if you didn't swallow it, don't flush it thru the head.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 13:17   #6

Boat: Nordhavn 47
We are also hashing this topic out at Toilet Paper vs Marine Heads

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 13:50   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
During our family's 39 years of living aboard we have always flushed toilet paper and we have never experienced a clog from the use of this paper. I typically replace the sanitation hoses every five to six years as they become coated with mineral deposits from the reaction of salt water with urine. This deposition can be reduced by adding an ounce of vinegar (acetic acid) with each flush. Though, I too, have used the axiom, "Only put items in the head that you have swallowed first"; I was disappointed one cruise when a crew member had the habit of swallowing the husks of sunflower seeds and they packed the joker valve. Toilet paper can be wisely purchased without dyes or added chemical fragrances and made from recycled paper for the environmentally resonsible cruiser; however, there's not a risk of clogging the system with sufficient flushing to move everything to the holding tank or beyand the through-hull if offshore.
Old 14-09-2010, 14:35   #8
CLOD

Boat: none
I think some of these anti-paper things are insane. I will admit that I tried regular TP with my electric head, but it seemed to have a hard time with it so I went back to the single ply regular stuff. On the other hand maybe that time it wasn't the paper at all and when it came down to it the head didn't clog and nothing of course made it into the hose.

I just don't see bagging used paper as part of an enjoyable boating life and feel that this falls into the "sailors are too paranoid" world.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 14:42   #9

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
For 20 years of full time cruising and living aboard we have bought standard, at the grocery store, toilet paper, flushed it through the plumbing into the holding tank, never had a clog and never had issues with the holding tank. I don't think I really want used toilet paper around the boat stored in any container or bag. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 14:46   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I typically replace the sanitation hoses every five to six years as they become coated with mineral deposits from the reaction of salt water with urine. This deposition can be reduced by adding an ounce of vinegar (acetic acid) with each flush.
Little thread drift here, but due to recent and extremely hideous clogged plumbing line experience, I got quite intimately acquainted with -- much more intimately than I would like -- with the insides of our sanitation hoses. They were pristine without the slightest trace of deposit.

Our practice is to run some hydrochloric acid based toilet cleaner ("Harpic") through both toilets before leaving the boat after every cruise, letting stand for an hour or two, then flushing thoroughly with fresh water, and shutting off the through hulls. For what it's worth, this system has proved itself to work very well.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 14:58   #11

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
In Turkey, the toilet paper in the brown bag routine is common among many local yachts that you charter. It's not my bag, but it works for some people.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 15:28   #12

hi,
Spent some time in Thailand where they use a hand shower to clean.
Simply horrid going back to filthy paper.
With the hand shower you can also use soap, and dry up just like a regular shower...
Hand Held Bidet Bathroom Bidets Sprayer Bidet Washlet Bidet Toilet | Mini-Shower™
And on a boat, storing the feces smeared paper in another container to be eventually transported to shore? OMG, pretty gross when you think about it. i'm sure the guests and neighbors can smell it.
I will definitely be installing one on the next boat.
cheers
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 07:14   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 70' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
During our family's 39 years of living aboard we have always flushed toilet paper and we have never experienced a clog from the use of this paper. I typically replace the sanitation hoses every five to six years as they become coated with mineral deposits from the reaction of salt water with urine. This deposition can be reduced by adding an ounce of vinegar (acetic acid) with each flush. Though, I too, have used the axiom, "Only put items in the head that you have swallowed first"; I was disappointed one cruise when a crew member had the habit of swallowing the husks of sunflower seeds and they packed the joker valve. Toilet paper can be wisely purchased without dyes or added chemical fragrances and made from recycled paper for the environmentally resonsible cruiser; however, there's not a risk of clogging the system with sufficient flushing to move everything to the holding tank or beyand the through-hull if offshore.
What He says...!!!!

I have lived on boats most of my life starting when I was 7 years old.. The only problems I ever have was when the lady's would mistakenly flush a tampon down the head, and you end up taking it apart to get at the clog.....LOL..
Old 15-09-2010, 08:15   #14

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
I'd rather clean out the head plumbing from time to time than have a bag of used bog roll sitting in my boat. My only experiences have been cleaning the seriously clogged head on a boat we'd just bought (lovely, strangers poo) and the regular scheduled servicing of our heads.

Marine heads will process bog roll if you keep in mind that your 2" (or less) discharge pipe will at best carry 1/4 the volume of your land-based throne. In 8 years (not living) on our previous boat, and over a year living on our current boat we've had not a single blockage.

What takes a 'flush' at home needs 4 on the boat. We explain it to our guests, we also have a plastic 'cheat sheet' in the heads, and I inform all guests that as host I'll dismantle the damned thing, but they'll be running the foul bits topsides for a good cleaning.

Never had a problem!
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 09:01   #15
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Buy a pack of lunch sized paper bags for $2 in a grocery store. Keep them in the head. Buy a couple packs of flushable wet wipes, also keep in head. Use wet wipes after #2. Place in paper bag when done. In port, throw in trash can. At sea, toss out porthole.
Now, this is the best idea I've heard in the whole forum, and if we didn't flush, I'd use this one!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote