Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2016, 04:57   #1

Aquatec watermakers

I was looking at getting a Spectra Ventura 200T but the pricing of it here in Europe makes it way more expensive than I am prepared to pay. As an alternative I’ve started looking at the Aquatec DC500 which is made in Germany and is in my acceptable price range

Aquatec Produkte 12 oder 24 Volt

Besides the pricing and the double output volume (60l/h v 31l/h), another plus for the Aquatec is that it is even more modular than the V200T giving me more potential installation options.

Downside is that the Aquatec is not an energy recovery WM and for every litre of water produced, it uses a bit more than 2 times the amps (44a/h for 60l V 10a/h for 31l).

Regardless of which water maker I get, I'm planning to get a Superwind wind gen to go along side the 200w solar to charge my 440ah house bank. The EU pricing is such that I can get the Aquatec & Superwind for around the same as the V200T

There will be two of us onboard and I want it to be "comfortable" for my girlfriend and not need to conserve water.

My guess is that running the DC500 for two hours every second day (120L less flush) will perhaps be sufficient, and if I time the running of the WM with a fully charged battery and a bit of wind, then the 44 a/h power drain will not be such an issue. If there is no wind and sun and I’m short of water, then the 60l/h will mean I don’t need to run the motor so long.

Aquatec do make a smaller capacity unit, the DC320 which produces half the water at half the amps, but its only €300 cheaper and the unit is no smaller. I assume that my house bank size along with Solar/wind charging is more than sufficient for the DC500.

Anyone have experience with Aquatec? and do my numbers “add up”?
Old 14-02-2016, 05:24   #2
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Aquatec watermakers

Hi hoppy. I don't know about the aqua tech but we had the same thought process (wanted a spectra in Europe but too expensive there)
We installed a similar energy recovery type which we are pleased with. I think 26Ah for 65l
http://www.uchimata-shop.fr/serie-es...30l-h-12v.html
Very automated, just press a button for making water or flushing
They also have less expensive manual and less volume models.
I would also consider one of these which I've heard some good reports on
http://www.eco-sistems.com/en/
I think the energy recovery type is worth the extra dollars on a cruising yacht relying on solar and wind. Maybe not so critical if you don't mind running a genset.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 21:17   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

It's a rare case that a good used Spectra pops up. But I just had a customer of mine who has a Spectra 200T manual I sold to him about three years ago stop by the Miami show. He installed it but just never used it more than 30-40 hours. I personally pickled the system a little over a year ago. I don't often vouch for a used system unless I know it's history intimately like I do this unit. He wants $3,500 for the system which retails new for $6,800. The $3,300 difference would pay for a new SuperWind350 (Which by the way you can get from me as I am also a distributor for these wind generators) with money to spare. Just something to think about.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
(954) 515-7077
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 02:09   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
It's a rare case that a good used Spectra pops up. But I just had a customer of mine who has a Spectra 200T manual I sold to him about three years ago stop by the Miami show. He installed it but just never used it more than 30-40 hours. I personally pickled the system a little over a year ago. I don't often vouch for a used system unless I know it's history intimately like I do this unit. He wants $3,500 for the system which retails new for $6,800. The $3,300 difference would pay for a new SuperWind350 (Which by the way you can get from me as I am also a distributor for these wind generators) with money to spare. Just something to think about.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
(954) 515-7077
PM Sent
Old 10-01-2019, 10:46   #5

Boat: Sunbeam 44 cc

Is it still available? Can you ship to Spain?
Cheers,
Tobiss Barcelona
Quirocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 20:27   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirocat View Post
Is it still available? Can you ship to Spain?
Cheers,
Tobiss Barcelona

Unfortunately that was a few years ago and it went quick. I wish I could figure out a way to get a Spectra to you for the price I charge here in the US.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 05:49   #7

A very important topic to consider is service and spare part availability. We had a new Spectra Ventura 150 installed on out yacht and cruised with it for 3 years/20000miles. My conclusion is that the service from Spectra is very good. IF you need a special part while being in Tonga, it is great to have a reliable supply chain because you are out of water for some time.... Product quality was so-so: We had to replace important parts two times (cracks in the housing) and the performace has been a bit lower than advertised. Still I would consider Spectra again if I need a new watermaker.
myocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 06:08   #8

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Hi hoppy. I don't know about the aqua tech but we had the same thought process (wanted a spectra in Europe but too expensive there)
We installed a similar energy recovery type which we are pleased with. I think 26Ah for 65l
http://www.uchimata-shop.fr/serie-es...30l-h-12v.html
Very automated, just press a button for making water or flushing
They also have less expensive manual and less volume models.
I would also consider one of these which I've heard some good reports on
http://www.eco-sistems.com/en/
I think the energy recovery type is worth the extra dollars on a cruising yacht relying on solar and wind. Maybe not so critical if you don't mind running a genset.
The Eco-sistems Splash 25 was around €3,000 a couple of years ago, now all of a sudden they want closer to €5k when you include tax.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker