Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2009, 09:04   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
pricey, but...

...the Whale 220 graywater system is by far the best upgrade we've made so far to our boat. Wish I'd discovered this system eleven years ago when I started living aboard.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:31   #17

Boat: 57' English narrow boat but aspiring Bruce Roberts Spray owner
I have a 24V Whale Gulper High Flow pump that I use to drain the shower.

1) A tip if you have one of these pumps: install a diverter valve and a reasonable length of suction hose on the inlet side. This allows you to use these pumps to drain anywhere on board. For example: blocked sink? No problem.

2) My 2nd gulper has just failed - a horrible grinding noise. On inspection, the gears are grinding themselves to bits. This is the same failure mode as the last unit. The unit I have already has brass or bronze gears - no nylon in sight.

I'm not aware of any reason why this should have happened. They were installed correctly. They were dry. There are no valves on the outlet that would stress the unit if accidentally closed. There were no obstructions or blockages. There are only two people on board and, from memory, both units failed after not much more than a year of use.

To their credit, Whale replaced the first one. I'll be calling them tomorrow to see if they'll replace the replacement. Fingers crossed!
Uisce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:57   #18

Boat: 57' English narrow boat but aspiring Bruce Roberts Spray owner
Update: The High Flow pump has been discontinued. I've replaced it with a 220. I thought it wasn't working to start with because it's so much quieter than the High Flow pump. Half the price too.

I originally bought the High Flow because I thought the larger bore might mean it was more reliable. It remains to be seen how long the 220 will last with its presumably nylon gears... I'll try to remember to post back here if/when I have further problems.
Uisce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:03   #19

Boat: Defever 41 "Bear Holiday"
Send a message via Skype™ to hanschristian38
Be Careful!

These pumps have a diaphragm that expands and contracts to provide the suction to empty the holding tank. This part can crack after only a few years of use. The crack can be large and if your through hull is below the water line and open, the water can come in very rapidly when the diaphragm breaks.

I had this happen. Make sure you have spare parts on board. (valves and diaphragm)

Always make sure you close the seacock after pumping.
hanschristian38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:00   #20

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: Anyone Using Whale Gulper Pumps Onboard?

Old thread but it still works,

Anyone ever use a Gulper 220 to empty there black water holding tank ? All the stuff in mine has been macerated so no big chunks and lots of water . Should work ?

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote