Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2016, 06:58   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Anyone Using this Hose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens View Post
After buying and discarding several different "stowable" hoses I finally settled on the same solution as Carstenb - sectional hoses. I bought the best quality 75' hose sold at the local home store that is certified for potable water. Then cut it in two and added quick release fittings on the cut ends. For filling my water tanks dockside one section is plenty. If I need more length I can just click the two sections together. Coil the sections just like you do cordage with a slight twist in each loop. I bought a couple of plastic cinches from WM that make securing the coils easier than using line and they have a handle for pulling the hose up from the bottom of a cockpit locker.
It's not high tech, nor is it a perfect solution, but I can live with it.

John
It could be that different hose coils differently, with different propensity to kink.

The hose reel, by the way, works brilliantly. It was just too big. If I could find one which is compact, even if it's not very long, I could extend it with a normal hose. Hmmmm.

Maybe something like this:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebas...cr-3110-330180

It's only 10 meters, though.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:10   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

This looks really compact. It's a 3/8" hose, however, not 1/2".

I can't believe I'm spending all this time on a bloody hose

But I hated struggling with the old one all summer last year. In contrast to the UK, you have to use your own hose practically everywhere in the Baltic.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 02-03-2016, 07:20   #33

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebas...cr-3110-330180

Could have missed it but I didn't see any sign that it was suitable for potable water.

I've had a few hoses that weren't and they did taint the water - kind of a TCP smell - I find it extremely unpleasant.

Only fades after using almost a whole 400 litre tankful - can't say it tastes bad but the smell...
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:22   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Then there's this:

Roll On 20M Super Flat Water Hose Food Grade Reel Caravan Motorhome Boat: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

What looks good about this, is that the hose apparently will snap back into its flat condition once it's disconnected. That was what as missing from that horrible French hose I had -- you had to squeeze out the water yourself.

If all you have to do for this to work is keep the reel higher than the end of the hose, so that the water flows out of it, then this is no problem. Maybe I'll try this.
Walt Whitman
Old 02-03-2016, 08:07   #35

Boat: Stamas, 320 Express, 34' LOA

I like these hoses a lot! Use at home, in my boat, at the dock! Just buy the heavy duty ones. I agree with the others that the cheaper ones will breakdown!
Ahneema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:24   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahneema View Post
I like these hoses a lot! Use at home, in my boat, at the dock! Just buy the heavy duty ones. I agree with the others that the cheaper ones will breakdown!
Which one are you referring to?
Walt Whitman
Old 02-03-2016, 08:32   #37

Boat: Catalina MkII 42

Never take the hose inside your boat, they can explode. I had one blow up on deck, the fabric on the outer cover developed a 'run' like a nylon stocking and instantly the inner tube erupted like a giant hernia then exploded. But otherwise, they stow so easily. I made a bag for mine next hose to prevent the fabric from snagging on anything.
Alika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:49   #38

I have one of these in the back yard, works well, like all these flat hoses, a PITA to wind up...

http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Flow%C2%...ater+hose+flat

Dave
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:01   #39

Boat: Catalina 30

Had someone pick one of these up at a discount store for $20 or so. I don't know how it lasted long term but we were using it to feed a power washer at the boat yard. We had it stretched across the parking lot and over 2 days of cleaning it was run over by every piece of equipment they had. Big fork lifts, 30+ foot sail boats on yard trailers, cars, and trucks. Never sprang a leak or tore.

As far as them possibly not lasting long term I am of the mindset and would much rather buy 3 or 4 of them at $20 a pop and if one breaks just bust a new one out of the packaging. Even 4 of those would take up a fraction of the space of a conventional and be less hassle. For short money on each one I would take ease of storage over worrying about replacement cost
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HOSE.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	119917  
Old 02-03-2016, 12:03   #40
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker

I've had several and have two with black ones with the brass ends on the boat now. (google it on amazon and they are more expensive than the plastic ones) The plastic end fitting ones don't last as long. Two things. You can not leave them pressured up at all for much longer than a few mins. So use them to wash the boat, fill the tanks and know that you're going to replace them in a few years but two of them together provide over 100' of hose that fits in a 3 gallon bucket. I'll just buy two more if/when these fail.
Direct line-713-817-7216--Houston Texas
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:32   #41

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Not sure if the same brand, but one type of those fails regularly. maybe google it.
I was gonna go with one till i did some reading... not good press anywhere on it
Old 02-03-2016, 12:50   #42

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
X-Hose:

Attachment 119882

XHose Expandable Hose

This looks like just the ticket, maybe.

Hoses are a PITA on board. I used to carry one on a cassette/reel. This worked well, kept the hose unkinked, was not expensive, easy to use, but very bulky. I got tired of it taking up so much space in the laz.

Then I bought a French flat fabric one, in a special squeegee flat very compact reel case. When you finished using it, you retracted it into the case, running it through squeegee rollers to press the water out. It was carp. Total PITA to get it back into its box, then after only one season it sprang a leak. It cost a lot of money, too.

So last summer I threw the leaky French expensive hose in the trash, and just bought a length of regular hose pipe. It's a PITA to roll up, kinks, doesn't store well, and I'm on the verge of tossing it.

Frustrating that such a banal little thing like a hose can cause so much trouble.

So what about the X-Hose? Anyone using that?
yes, I've had two linked together for about a year now and I really like them. They are very easy to stow away. I hope they last.
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 13:01   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Very, very mixed reviews. Some seem to have had very good luck with them. Many others, not. It's hard to know what to expect.

I notice that the X Hose has a 3 year warranty you can buy for 5 pounds. I am guessing they can't be all that terrible, if they are able to guaranty them for 3 years.
Walt Whitman
Old 02-03-2016, 13:33   #44
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Here you go, motorized and all
https://www.rexandsonsrvs.com/hose-r...--6042-6042-rv

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 13:34   #45

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

I've had a couple of the x-hoses, one for potable water, another for deck work and rinsing the holding tank. One did rupture once and, of course, inside the boat. I was cleaning the bilge. If one ruptures, about all you can do is try to kink it behind the break while you run like hell to turn the water off. I took it back to the store with a copy of the warranty in my hand and fire in my eye. The store made it good w/o an issue, but the manager said to keep the house out of the sun. So I just marked them and put them in the lazarette to come out when needed. They really are kink-free and take up no space and do not require a wrestling match to deploy or subdue. They are great for traveling. I have a large red india rubber hose on the marina pedestal, but while cruising, we toss the x-hoses in the lazarette and they do fine. Best to avoid snags too.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote