Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2013, 16:45   #1

Boat: 1976 Hudson Force 50
Anyone have one of these on board?

Looking at tackling a new refrigeration project, and wondered if anyone has one of these units (Norcold DE-0061) on their sailboat? I like the idea of the efficiency of a top loading refrig/freezer system with a dual evaporator (engine drive and 12 volt DC) but one of these would be much easier to drop in and a lot less work and ultimately cost as well. We have a 51' Hudson Force, so I have plenty of room for it and lots of batteries already, but I was wondering what the power draw in the tropics for this unit will be. (amp hours you are actually seeing used in the carribean).

I am fully aware that the top loading units are more efficient but am looking for feedback on this specific unit.
Old 18-06-2013, 16:54   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Anyone have one of these on board?

hay planb--am on a formosa 41 in tropical mexico thinking similar thoughts--entertaining those of engel, dometic, norcold, now i know there is such a thing as a drop in .... and there are one or two other brands i have been advised.....are you going to use the space wherein your old box was??
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 16:59   #3

Hey there Zeehag. I have been following your RF threads as well. No, I plan to put it in the lower salon, where its nice and cool there. When I redid our galley in the upper salon, I decided I needed the deep drawer space for stowage and knew I wanted to put the ref/freez down below. We currently have a 5 cu foot 120 volt apt style refrig there. so time to convert over to a 12 volt system.
Old 18-06-2013, 17:32   #4

i see...i want to put a drop in kind of thing into the space my huge box still occupies--there is plenty of room and ventilation for engel or dometic or some kind of ready made 12 v thing for colding foods....something that is easily removed and replaced, as i know repair is necessary even with good marine systems---so i want it to be removable as well as functional. seems i should be able to eventually place 2 units in same place--is large enough---freezer and fridge--then i willbe almost normal, if that is even possible
Old 18-06-2013, 18:11   #5

I gave up on being normal a long time ago. <G> But yep I hear you on the drop in and ready made system. Everything on a boat is temporary, (except maybe bad crew) LOL...but seriously eventually it will need to be serviced regular maintenance, repaired or replaced. So the KISS principal definitely applies. I have been considering installing 2 4.5 cu foot built in top loading systems, use one as a refer and one as a freez and that way I have a backup in case something breaks at some remote place (not that that would ever happen...)..then I see these nice shiny portable units or drop in units and think mmmm maybe just maybe..there is a balance between work/cost to put in one of these easier units. If the energy difference is only a few solar panels then that is well worth it to me...

You still in Mexico?
Old 18-06-2013, 19:15   #6

still in mexico--barra de navidad now for summer, complete with the runaway diesel and repair list in hand--lol-- good summer rates here this year, so marina is where i am now for the moment...
where are you these days?

is same ratonale i keep for the both units in one place--i think my old fridge box and the junk keeping it in place should be able to hold 2 medium sized to small units, one freeze and one fridge--and if i buy one at a time i may even be able to eat and feed gato during the months i purchase each one...lol
Old 18-06-2013, 20:17   #7

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacht_planb View Post
Looking at tackling a new refrigeration project, and wondered if anyone has one of these units (Norcold DE-0061) on their sailboat? I like the idea of the efficiency of a top loading refrig/freezer system with a dual evaporator (engine drive and 12 volt DC) but one of these would be much easier to drop in and a lot less work and ultimately cost as well. We have a 51' Hudson Force, so I have plenty of room for it and lots of batteries already, but I was wondering what the power draw in the tropics for this unit will be. (amp hours you are actually seeing used in the carribean).

I am fully aware that the top loading units are more efficient but am looking for feedback on this specific unit.
I have one of these units on a power boat (not my sail boat). In the tropics you can estimate it will run 80% of the time or more. It is not water cooled so it has to exchange heat with the surrounding cabin air. Unless you put it in an air conditioned space it will run nearly 100% of the time during daylight hours. At night it might only run 65% of the time. So on 12V you should estimate about 65AH per day or maybe a bit more.

About the only way to help it run less is to make sure the heat exchanger on the back of the unit is well ventilated. Possibly a cooling fan added back there would reduce the AH a bit.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 04:50   #8

Yep, I figured as much, thanks for the info. At 5.4 am/hr * 24 that appprox 120+ amp hours per day, (even at 80% of the time that would be 103 amh daily) which is by no means efficient... Guess that answers my question.....Thanks for hte quick response. This msg forum is the best!

Take care all!