Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-11-2014, 09:51   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 40
Re: Any reason to maintain direct discharge in the PNW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
Perhaps the confusion is mine, but as I understand your question, you are not proposing to eliminate your ability to pump the holding tank overboard. Instead, you are proposing that everything go into holding tank and from there you can either pump at a station or overboard. Your question is limited to the benefit of keeping the y-valve that directs to head either straight overboard or into the holding tank. If I have that right, the thinking that went into my boat may be of use. First though, it should be noted that my boat was set up with redundancy of all mission critical systems, and simplicity, with the thought that the boat should be able to travel anywhere, suffer system failures along the way, have enough redundancy to keep going if if a critical system fails, then get it fixed in even remote ports.
With regard to the head system, there are 4 heads divided into two completely redundant systems (ie, 2 holding tanks, two pump outs, etc.). Each head has a y-valve allowing it to dump straight overboard. That could be useful in the event that it becomes impossible to pump out the holding tank. Although I have never needed to use that feature, it is potentially very useful.
I don't consider the head mission critical, worst case, hang your butt over the side.

A bucket as a backup is simplicity.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:56   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I have no thru hull valve. The boat was manufactured without one (the discharge is above the waterline).

I was boarded by the USCG a few months ago but they did not inspect my waste system. The actual regulations don't require a Y valve, just an effective way of preventing overboard discharge. If push comes to shove I'll contest it.

Here is the regulation (for the USA):

Notice the phrase " Acceptable methods of securing the device include— " The regulation does not exclude other methods. Also, as I mentioned, I have no valve so none of the suggested methods apply to my boat.
I haven't tested my theory, but as described before my pumpout hose has a tee leading to a diaphragm pump to a through hull. The pump has a removable handle. Without the handle my system is ineffective, locked, incapable of accidental discharge.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:39   #33

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntscout View Post
Wow, that took some doing. I would never have figured that one. Did the PO never realize that it was installed like that I wonder?
Don't think so. Systems weren't a strength of this boat. (OTOH, I'm quite good at plumbing and electrical, so it was a good boat for me)

I've passed poopinspection with locking the thru hull that is the macerator discharge. Was also told that a keyswitch for the macerator would do also.
Old 11-11-2014, 19:11   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
I don't consider the head mission critical, worst case, hang your butt over the side.

A bucket as a backup is simplicity.
That would work for you and me, but with my wife, three daughters and in-laws on board, if the heads don't work the trip is over. And if we don't get back to facilities before someone has to use plan b, there may not be another trip for a long time.
Old 11-11-2014, 19:25   #35
Marine Service Provider

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntscout View Post
Sorry I mis-typed, I meant Puget Sound going all no discharge as of 12/31. I assumed most would put in Y valve but obviously not required as long as there is a way to prevent discharge.
That myth or a similar one circulates every year...but it's just wishful thinking on the part of the enviromental activists. The Sound cannot become an NZD because it's a "navigable interstate waterway"...which is defined as "capable of interstate vessel traffic"...iow, either flows through more than one state or provides access to waters beyond the boundaries of a single state , which the Sound indisputably does. That puts not only the Sound, but even Lake Union and Lake Washington, under federal jurisdiction which allows the discharge of toilet waste treated by a USCG certified Type I or II MSD...and will continue to do so until or unless there's a change in federal marine sanitation laws.
https://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-B...dp/1892399784/
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: