Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2016, 19:10   #46
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Any Reason Not To Use PEX On A Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Because of the intermittent nature of use of faucets and showers on a boat, I feel for the typical cruiser in the <60 foot range should not worry about insulating the hot water. Insulation only slows the heat loss and odds are it would be cool anyway in an hour.

For the larger yacht/ ship with an extensive hot water system it makes more sense, specially if they have a hot water return line (and they would).

Same applies to homes BTW.

Agree. Any benefit of insulation would be hard to measure and really not worth the effort.

Halden Marine Services – Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 14:05   #47

Go WIRSBO / UPONOR PEX.

I know this is old, but I've been using the product for - can't remember - 20 years?

Invest in or rent the expander tool. Fittings end up bullet-proof. With their pre-fab UPONOR logic plan and multi-port tees, you will really reduce your fittings.

Also, with a Milwaukee battery operated expander, you can get into any space.

Crimping can be a REAL pain in tight spaces of a boat.
Ottersan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 14:31   #48

What is the deal with PEX? I thought it was slip together fittings, but now I see a bunch of crimping stuff at the hardware store also? Did they give up on slip fit?

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 14:42   #49

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
What is the deal with PEX? I thought it was slip together fittings, but now I see a bunch of crimping stuff at the hardware store also? Did they give up on slip fit?

There are essentially four different connection methods:
* push to fit (sharkbite, etc)
* crimp rings
* expander (pro-pex)
* press-fit (pex press)

When I redid a cabin I used expander. It is very solid, lots of pros use it. Lifetime joints that are fast, easy, and cheap. The one downside is the tool needed is somewhat expensive although you may be able to rent it. I think Dewalt has one now which is a bit cheaper if you already have their batteries. One nice thing about the expander (pro-pex) method is there is no external metal crimps to corrode.

Most hardware stores do carry sharkbite and other tool-less push to fit connectors they may have been in a different section.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 14:50   #50

Thanks, I did some home stuff recently with the shark bite. Not that impressed really. Fittings way too expensive for what they are. Limited types available. I noticed also that, under pressure, if the tube is semi rigid and angled too much at the fitting it will leak/spray.
Seems like a "solution looking for a problem" a bit. Convenient in other ways though. Rigid tubing on boat with slip fittings would worry me I think but maybe not that bad.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 15:01   #51

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Thanks, I did some home stuff recently with the shark bite. Not that impressed really. Fittings way too expensive for what they are. Limited types available. I noticed also that, under pressure, if the tube is semi rigid and angled too much at the fitting it will leak/spray.
Seems like a "solution looking for a problem" a bit. Convenient in other ways though. Rigid tubing on boat with slip fittings would worry me I think but maybe not that bad.
Yeah the only thing the sharkbites (and other brands) have going for them is you don't need a tool.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 15:14   #52

Boat: 32’ Sloop
Re: any reason not to use PEX on a boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I didn't think about the "sharkbite' fittings. I've only used Pex in the house and there I used the crimpers.
Your worried about restricting by crimping, but you slid one pipe inside of another ?

I’d use the crimps instead, but by all means ALWAYS have some sharkbites and spare pex on hand, one of the great things about pex, aside from how strong it is, is how very easy it is to repair if somehow you managed to break it.

Outside of that situation, sharkbites are mostly good for simple connections in small areas where you cant get the crimper.
IslandInfedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 16:16   #53

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I know this is an old thread but I’ll add that I redid all the fresh water lines on my boat around 5 years ago with PEX and sharkbite type fittings. Easy to run the lines and easy connections. Not issues at all with cold or hot water.

Oh, when I first connected the lines I crossed the hot and cold to the shower mixer. A week later when I discovered the mistake it was easy to pull apart the sharkbite fittings and reconnect them properly.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 16:26   #54

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

The po of my boat did the 15mm shark bite thing. It’s been great. There is one connection on the low pressure side of the water pressure pump that sometimes needs a wiggle but great.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 16:35   #55

For some good videos on the WIRSBO / UPONOR system:

The fittings: expander system

Distribution: multiport tees

Thoughts:

High initial tool cost.
Reasonable fitting cost.
Bulletproof once installed -- it will not leak,
Depending on which fittings you choose, can have zero metal in the entire system -- crimp, pipe, or fitting.

Seriously, these will not leak - under low or high pressure.

I have no affiliation with them - like many here, I just really love this stuff.
Ottersan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 17:47   #56
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

While I have nothing against Sharkbite fittings and always have some aboard, we replumbed our boat (and those of many clients) with Uponor ProPex. We have a couple of the Milwaukee expander tools; amazing, fast, and very reliable.
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:00   #57
Marine Service Provider

I built an entire 120,000 btu/hr chilled water system on a 90 foot custom sport fisher from scratch using ProPex this was 10 years ago, system is running 24/7.
Not one leak.
Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:18   #58

Boat: Catalina 30

I'm coming in very late on this post.

I have a Catalina 30 that I need to replace all fresh water hoses. I too, didn't think of pex for this application. I have replumbed a couple houses with it and love it.

I saw a post or two about using 3/8" instead of 1/2". I believe the PVC hoses in there now are 1/2". I have never used the fresh water system so no frame of reference on volume or pressure of the existing system.

Assuming it still works, the pump is a Shurflo, 2.8GPM, 45psi. So sayeth the sticker.

Any advice or suggestion on what size pipe to use?

Using the bypass on the hot water to reduce wasted water it the coolest thing I've heard all day. Great idea
MC4Sunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:28   #59

Boat: Cape Dory 30c

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahag View Post
I'm going to rig up a deck washdown pump due to a new member in the family (dog). Was going to do the typical reinforced hose routine but thought of all the pex parts and pipe I have laying around from doing bathroom remodels; seems like it would be a winner on a boat, especially if Alaska ever freezes again, which hasn't happened much since I came here three years ago.

Any experiences or thoughts about this? Also, I already have a 4 GPM pump and would like to locate it near the thru hull, which may be about 5-6 feet lower than the outlet; any worries about pumping ability?

Thanks-
Scott
I have the pet tools. Only thing I can think of is if the collars start leaking but I guess you would repair that the same in a house. Pressure in a boat is way lower so a more flexible 'hose' type pipe with worm drive collars might be more diy friendly.
Mara Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:45   #60

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC4Sunz View Post
I'm coming in very late on this post.

I have a Catalina 30 that I need to replace all fresh water hoses. I too, didn't think of pex for this application. I have replumbed a couple houses with it and love it.

I saw a post or two about using 3/8" instead of 1/2". I believe the PVC hoses in there now are 1/2". I have never used the fresh water system so no frame of reference on volume or pressure of the existing system.

Assuming it still works, the pump is a Shurflo, 2.8GPM, 45psi. So sayeth the sticker.

Any advice or suggestion on what size pipe to use?
I’ve been building homes for 45 years.
1/2” and 3/4” are easier to find.
3/8” will give you more water than you require on a boat and save your water as well. There’s a formula for volume, something like 3.14 * diameter of pipe * length.
Sharkbites are great for repairs. We DO NOT use them in in-accessible locations due to occasional leaks or failures.
Our warranty is lifetime. As long as you live in the home we come back. We like Pex and copper.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote