Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2018, 13:17   #1

Boat: 36' Cape Dory
Any Idea Who Makes This Head?

Hi,

My marine toilet (aka head) is leaking when it has standing water in the bowl.

While I'm at it I may go ahead and replace other gaskets, etc.

I can't figure out who the manufacturer is. Attaching a couple of pictures.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cbwdhbiig0..._2798.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/22a1joemvl..._2801.jpg?dl=0

Please let me know if you know...

Thanks,

Chris
vonchris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 13:39   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: Any Idea Who Makes This Head?

Looks like a Raritan modified for electric flush to me.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 14:06   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
Looks like a Raritan modified for electric flush to me.

Thanks, I forgot to mention it is electric flush with the oprtion to flush with the handle.

fyi... the former owner used to call it "the champion." It has worked well... so far...
Old 15-07-2018, 14:53   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

It’s this

http://raritaneng.com/raritan-produc...hii-and-pheii/
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 15:20   #5
Marine Service Provider

It's Raritan PHEII ("e" means it has an electric motor added). The owners manual for it is here: PH II Owner’s Manual

From the limited amount of info you provided, I'm guessing that it needs a new bowl gasket...a part that's in the rebuild kit. If it was mfr'd before 6/92, PHIIRK is the correct rebuild for it. If it was mfr'd after 6/92, you need kit PHIIRKC. There are just enough different parts in each to keep the two kits from being interchangeable, so be sure to get the right one.

The PHII has been the top rated manual toilet since Raritan introduced it in 1982. but adding a motor turns it into a horrible excuse for an electric toilet. The motor only replaces the pump handle..the pump is still a manual pump. The motor pumps the toilet much faster, and with a much shorter stroke than pumping manually, which causes it to take longer to prime and therefore wears out the rubber o-rings etc much faster...and also causes the toilet to "choke" on flushes that deliberate pumping manually can push through...and it has a high amperage draw compared to most electric toilets. I know a lot of people who've added the motor who wish they hadn't...who've opted to disconnect it again permanently and put the pump handle back on. The PHE II (electric version of the PH II) also costs more than a real electric toilet.

It's only because for some reason there are still barely enough sailors who want to have it both ways--the "push button convenience" of an electric toilet that can be converted to manual in the event of a catastrophic power failure that Raritan still offers the motor. But there's no advantage to that...'cuz if you don't have enough power to flush an electric toilet, you don't have enough to power nav equipment, lights, communication equipment or anything else either...but you DO still have a bucket and a long line to toss the bucket overboard to "flush" it. So whether you can flush a toilet or have to resort to using the bucket is the LEAST of your worries!

(I'll get off my soapbox now.)

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 15:28   #6

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
The motor only replaces the pump handle..the pump is still a manual pump.
The guy that "engineered" it should be beaten with his own slide rule.
Raritan is a good head, I've put one in every boat. For some reason, my wife is not fond of used heads so I replace them when I buy a boat and start "fresh". I think the last time I got a PHII it was about $350.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 15:33   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I first converted our PHII’s to “fresh heads” which makes them freshwater flush, then later converted the forward one, the only one we use to a Sea Era Head. We live aboard and it has been in use for over a year and I have yet to have to do anything to it, which surprises me, I would have thought by now at least the joker would have gone bad. It has the electric panel so it is a true push button device.

I bring this up in case you decide to convert, you keep your current bowl and seat and that saves some $$
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 15:42   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

A64 beat me to it. If you want an electric toilet buy a Raritan Sea Era Conversion Kit. Reuse the bowl from your PHE. The Sea Era is proving to be very reliable.
Old 15-07-2018, 16:56   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah, well remember where I bought it don’t you?
Old 15-07-2018, 19:51   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Yeah, well remember where I bought it don’t you?
Yes I do! Thank you!
Old 15-07-2018, 20:39   #11

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=a64pilot I bring this up in case you decide to convert, you keep your current bowl and seat and that saves some $$

You don't even get a new seat? I think the stock seat is a piece of crap. I've installed little bumpers to keep it centered but it still wiggles.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 12:21   #12

Boat: Camano 41

I have a Raritan electric head on the boat, just replaced the gasket set for the pump. $359.00 for the kit. I was advised that could get a replacement head for this price. So I bucked up.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 13:02   #13

Hi,

Thanks to everyone who jumped in with VERY helpful information. All spot on and saved me a lot of time :-)
Old 16-07-2018, 13:21   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Mason View Post
I have a Raritan electric head on the boat, just replaced the gasket set for the pump. $359.00 for the kit. I was advised that could get a replacement head for this price. So I bucked up.

You paid $359 for a rebuild kit for the PHII (kit is PHIIRK)???? Even if that was in CAD, it's outrageous! LIST price is $76 USD...a google search for it turned up half a dozen sources for under $60 USD. Where are you shopping???

Even if the toilet is actually the electric macerating SeaEra, the rebuild kits for it are under $50USD...

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 14:30   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=Ecos;2674268][QUOTE=a64pilot I bring this up in case you decide to convert, you keep your current bowl and seat and that saves some $$

You don't even get a new seat? I think the stock seat is a piece of crap. I've installed little bumpers to keep it centered but it still wiggles.[/QUOTE]

You can get anything you want to pay for. Including the whole thing.
I have an aftermarket good seat, looks like oak maybe seat and lid, and the bowl being 30 yrs old still looks new. I assume porcelain lasts a long, long time.
So the kit is actually the base if you will and likely saves a big penny in shipping, cause that bowl in neither small nor lightweight.
I rather like having the option of converting and not having to buy expensive stuff I don’t need.

Tags
head