Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2015, 18:21   #1

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)
any experience with deck mounted AC unit?

I currently have a standard inboard marine AC unit, the type that uses sea water through the heat exchanger and frankly it is a pain in the arse. It gets an air bubble in the water line everytime I go out that requires bleeding the line before I get back and even worse, the cooling plates frost up in the high tropical humidity and becomes a solid block of ice reducing its cooling efficiency. I have to manually turn it off every couple of hours to let it defrost.

I notice that some of the long term liveaboards around me have fitted standard domestic window units on their saloon roof with makeshift ducting through a hatch. I dont want to go down that path because I think it looks ugly and would have to be removed everytime I go out.

So I have been looking at those low profile units they make for caravans and RV's. They are low enough not to interfere with my boom or rigging but I have never seen anyone here in Thailand using one to ask for their feedback.

Any comments would be appeciated, especially about robustness and corrosion resistance.

Thanks in advance
Old 13-04-2015, 20:51   #2

Boat: 1969 Roamer ChrisCraft, Riveria, 46'
Re: any experience with deck mounted AC unit?

A good friend had one on his boat in Florida. It was well sheltered from sea spray and such. I serviced it several times. It worked well, was water tight for rain, but I would not want it installed anywhere a wave could hit it. The salt air would corrode up the condenser fins and require a good cleaning every year. After about 5 yrs the condenser is shot and the compressor will cutout due to thermal protection. But compared to the cost of marine units and servicing, it was a cheaper option that didn't require half the maintanence.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
neptunesjester is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, enc