Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2014, 14:35   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Anchor locker drain too low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Forget about a check valve. Make sure the bottom of the locker is well above the waterline. Insure the the drains are open. If necessary, cover the outside of each drain with a small clam-shell vent cover, facing away from normal water flow, so it purges the locker and deflects water from intrusion.

Agree.

The anchor locker does not necessarily have to be above the waterline but if it is below:

- It needs to be sealed from the outside waer
- You need to drain it to the bilge
- Or you need to install a bilge pump and pump it out

If water is getting into parts of the boat that it shouldn't - anchor locker to bilge - then you need to reseal the anchor locker.

If your boat is designed for the locker drain to be above the waterline and it isn't you need to figure out why the bow is so heavy and correct that.

If you are sure it is just splashing the the clamshell cover may help, but if the boat is plowing, it may not.

For me the real issue is why the locker is draining into the cabin.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 14:40   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Anchor Locker Drain Too Low

The clam shell Terra Nova posted will cause a low pressure area over the drain with water flowing over it, which will actually pull water from the locker. If it's just getting in from pressure from forward movement and is not under the water line, the clam shell cover should be all the fix you need. I'd definitely try it before doing anything major.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 14:47   #18

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Hmmm interesting. I will give that a shot. I had originally glassed the locker because the bulkhead at the foot of the v berth was moist and showing signs of rot (mold). I really, really thought I had done a thorough job so it's hard to understand where the water is coming into the rest of the boat from. The boat is out of the water so I'm going to do a very thorough survey of the bow under the waterline.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 30-11-2014, 14:49   #19

Is it possible that an over pitched prop would cause the bow to squat down in the water? It is really low in the water when motoring. Maybe a good four inches under the bow wave. IMO we are not that loaded down in the bow especially because we are trimmed properly when not under way.

Old 30-11-2014, 17:07   #20

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

A Look At Anchor Lockers - Practical Sailor Article

Some info-hope it helps. cheers/ Len
deblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 17:35   #21

My boat was built with a Crash Bulkhead to Lloyds & DetNorskeVeritas standards in 1984.It came with the aluminum LPG tank & solenoid installed in the anchor locker & I'm happy with that. The original rubber seal around the propane line,where it passed thru this watertight bulkhead, rotted from age,& I replaced that.
The crash bulkhead is a requirement in Euro boats,& IMHO should be a requirement in all boats.It acts as a second "bow" in the event of a collision,& is an inexpensive option during construction,plus,there is no stink or water intrusion into the v-berth,as there can be with the N.American method of putting a hatch thru this bulkhead.
My only complaint is that the anchor locker drain hole goes out thru the stem.This allows water to be driven in thru this drain in very rough conditions.
I will install drains in back corners of locker,allowing water to go out both port & stbd bow cheeks.
Old 30-11-2014, 20:59   #22

I see nothing wrong with a propane tank in an anchor locker. The whole concern would be pooling propane but as you mentioned your drain is I. The bottom of the well so any leaking propane would just drain out.

As for your hole issue, that pretty much describes what i am experiencing. I may go for a couple of extra drains though the thought of drilling more holes in my hull doesn't really jibe well.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:05   #23

unbusted67 Longer you own her,the less you will be concerned about holes & such,as long as the mods are well thought out & done "properly".There is no perfect fits all vessel. Most can use some improvement.
I think I will use white delrin/nylon normal thru hulls,intended for hose,& saw them off flush to the inside nut,as I only have to go thru 5/8" of solid f-glass hull. They are well above W/L,the white will blend with my white hull,& I don't like the idea of protrusions,such as clamshells,etc,that could get bumped or catch on something.That is just my opinion,cosmetically thinking.

cheers/ Len
Old 01-12-2014, 12:41   #24

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
...I will use white delrin/nylon normal thru hulls,intended for hose,& saw them off flush to the inside nut,as I only have to go thru 5/8" of solid f-glass hull...
Your proposed method will insure that not all the water will drain out.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 17:12   #25

Boat: CORBIN 39
Re: Anchor locker drain too low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Forget about a check valve. Make sure the bottom of the locker is well above the waterline. Insure the the drains are open. If necessary, cover the outside of each drain with a small clam-shell vent cover, facing away from normal water flow, so it purges the locker and deflects water from intrusion.

I cannot believe all the dumb answers to this no brainer question. I had the same problem, never gave it a second thought. Block the forward facing hole and drill another hole in the side, cover with this clam shell plate mentioned above. Is it that hard to comprehend?
sailr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 17:21   #26

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
I see nothing wrong with a propane tank in an anchor locker. ...........
Fine but what are your qualifications in the field of flammable gasses??

Do you feel you are more qualified than the folks who write the ABYC specifications? The ABYC is very specific in its requirements and throwing a propane tank in an anchor locker would not be compliant with these specifications.

Suggesting that someone ignore established safety regulations is not very responsible.
Old 01-12-2014, 17:31   #27

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

If you run into something hard, it is likely your bow will be damaged.

If someone runs into you, it could be anywhere.

So it seems to make sense that the bow is the most dangerous location possible for a propane tank.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 18:43   #28

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

As to the anchor locker problem, if the wood in there is all epoxy sealed, then raising the floor is relatively easy. Just get some 2-part pour foam such as this Fiberglass Supply - Pour Foam & pour it in until the bottom of the locker is at a height of your liking. As long as the surfaces where you're pouring the foam are, are clean, it'll bond to them fairly well.
Then, simply glass in a new "floor" over top of it, & install a new drain in the chain locker.

And if for some reason you don't like it, it's not all that difficult to remove. For the most part, a sharp filet knife will make quick work of it. After of course, you cut out the glass over top of it.

Also, it should take care of any small, pesky leaks, which you describe in your current locker. Because as it mixes & expands, it tends to fill most small holes & crevices. Just be careful with it, as it does exert a fair bit of pressure when it's expanding. Enough to rupture some sealed spaces if one's not careful, & puts in too much, without leaving a way for it to expand to it's full size.

- On the propane locker bit, where is it located? I ask as I'm picturing it being up in the bow (where most anchor lockers are). A locale about as far from one's stove as it's possible to get.

Also, just based on common sense, I would think that chain & line going into & out of a locker under a fair bit of load would be VERY hard on any tank valves & hoses, even if it didn't snag on them.
Plus galvanized chain would be pretty hard on rubber hoses from an abrasion perspective. Not to mention that if the tank is in a bow locker, it's going to be subject to being soaked & or submerged in a lot of seawater. Probably not the best thing for a steel & or aluminum tank, valve, & hand wheel.

And what about any solenoid valves, & their attendant wiring? Stuck in there with all of the above "hostile environmental" factors.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 19:07   #29

Anchor Locker Drain Too Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Fine but what are your qualifications in the field of flammable gasses??

Do you feel you are more qualified than the folks who write the ABYC specifications? The ABYC is very specific in its requirements and throwing a propane tank in an anchor locker would not be compliant with these specifications.

Suggesting that someone ignore established safety regulations is not very responsible.

Ahhhhh I've installed propane systems professionally to AbYC standards. Have you?

Here you go buddy. Read up.

https://law.resource.org/pub/us/cfr/....A-01.1993.pdf

Old 02-12-2014, 04:26   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
Ahhhhh I've installed propane systems professionally to AbYC standards. Have you?

Here you go buddy. Read up.

https://law.resource.org/pub/us/cfr/....A-01.1993.pdf
As you've described it, your installation does not comply with ABYC A-01.

It's not a dedicated locker, nor gas-tite to the interior, and the drain gets submerged.

I suggest you re-read Section 1.12
LOCATION AND INSTALlATION - CYLINDER AND CONNECTED DEVICES

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor locker, anchor