Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-01-2016, 09:12   #31

Re: "Alternative" marine toilet installation?

I do really appreciate the input but I do have to say that my original post was not "Should I install a composting toilet?" it was a request for help regarding using a conventional marine toilet in my application.

I do understand the composting toilets. I have done a great deal of research and come to the conclusion that now is not the time for me to introduce the composting toilet to my household. I do intend to install a composting toilet as a second toilet to give the crew an opportunity to get used to it and decide if it is a good fit. Then consider replacing our primary toilet with a composting toilet.

That project is going to have to wait for warmer weather.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:18   #32

While we are engaged in potty discussion.... I have another question:

I sailed with some find folks off of Maui on their Columbia 43 and liked the sign that they had posted in the head and have been looking for one like it to no avail. Perhaps someone here knows where to find it?

I don't remember the exact words on the sign but the gist of it was: "Setters welcome, Pointers go ashore" and it had the green circle & red circle symbols over pictures showing people setting & pointing....

Old 04-01-2016, 11:28   #33

Boat: Creekmore 34

Two words: Air Head.

Best thing we've done to our boat in 15 years.
Simply Sailing Online
Old 04-01-2016, 11:48   #34

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Sailing View Post
Two words: Air Head.

Best thing we've done to our boat in 15 years.
Simply Sailing Online
No reason to call the OP names just because he hasn't figured out how this solves his problem.
Old 04-01-2016, 16:21   #35
Marine Service Provider

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
No reason to call the OP names just because he hasn't figured out how this solves his problem.
Airhead Toilet
https://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-B...dp/1892399784/
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 16:50   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I am not sure but I think that it only counts "name calling" if it is not true

I keep the space between my ears pressurized to roughly 14.7psi most of the time.....
Old 04-01-2016, 18:20   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohave_steve View Post
Per my earlier post: I have extensively researched and I do intend to try out a composting toilet when the weather gets warmer.

What I am not going to do is replace my one and only toilet with a composting toilet until I know that the Admiral will be comfortable with it. Nor am I going to ask her to walk through the snow to use an outhouse.
Understood...:] I was thinking if you did a little test and liked it, you would be better prepared to broach the subject. Pooping in what basically amounts to a bucket is horrifying to most women. You have to have some good solid answers the first time you broach the subject.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:31   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by morven55 View Post
Understood...:] I was thinking if you did a little test and liked it, you would be better prepared to broach the subject. Pooping in what basically amounts to a bucket is horrifying to most women. You have to have some good solid answers the first time you broach the subject.
If it were just me there would have been a composting toilet installed long ago. But, due to the very point that you make, I have been gently encouraging the idea.

In the words of the great philosopher Jeff Foxworthy: " If Momma aint happy then you aint happy! If Momma aint happy long enough then you ant happy with half of your stuff!"....

Thanks for the suggestions & info.
Old 29-05-2016, 00:01   #39

Boat: Sold Catalina 250

Marine Toilets Fail.
While I have only researched composting toilets, i understand that much liquid gets in the way of composting. I like the sign idea and installing in one head to see how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 29-05-2016, 01:03   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
Marine Toilets Fail.. ?....
, i understand that much liquid gets in the way of composting......
If you can let go of the "composting" part, you can make better headway.

The word composting is simply inaccurate. They are not composters. You put wet poop in, it dries it out. End of story. Add moisture, expect longer drying process.

This is like thinking you are safe because you own a "Life"raft. Or that a life "preserver" will in fact preserve your life.

Get the compost word out of your head. Replace it with Cat Box minus the cat box smell, because they pee in theirs.

The females aboard Minggat are directed to watch the urine jug in my C Head because they are the ones who sit down to contribute the most.. Each male gets his very own empty liquid laundry detergent bottle.

One woman thought that adding kitchen waste to compost was a good idea. She also thought that dumping the urine jug into the desiccating side would work. The resulting ammonia smell told me what she had done. Rather than keel haul her, I simply had her help me change out the media. That was such a non-issue, compared to the sewage spills I have endured.
Old 29-05-2016, 04:57   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
The word composting is simply inaccurate. They are not composters. You put wet poop in, it dries it out. End of story. Add moisture, expect longer drying process.
I can just see it:

Me: "Hey darling, instead of flushing the head, we can just leave the poo sitting there until it dries up and then throw it out. What do you think? "

Her: "*&^%$%!"
Old 29-05-2016, 07:53   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
Marine Toilets Fail.
While I have only researched composting toilets, i understand that much liquid gets in the way of composting. I like the sign idea and installing in one head to see how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Definitely want to keep solids and liquids separated, that is what generates odors.
Old 29-05-2016, 08:12   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I can just see it:

Me: "Hey darling, instead of flushing the head, we can just leave the poo sitting there until it dries up and then throw it out. What do you think? "

Her: "*&^%$%!"
Maybe rolling up dry leaves in a paper roll, putting it in your mouth and lighting it on fir. (cigarette) makes more sense to you.

For me, something about storing wet sewage on my boat, and dealing with a wet sewage system when it lets you down brings back very very unpleasant memories.
Old 29-05-2016, 08:30   #44

Boat: Rafiki 37

Yes, they're not really composters, although if you leave it long enough it will compost. You could bag it, or carry two bins. Regardless, the end result of 5-6 weeks of continual use is slightly moist soil. Looks, smells and yes indeed even feels like good quality potting soil. Nothing offensive or untoward that would disturb those the more delicate amongst us (Stu ).

I'm always amused at the argument that somehow a desiccating head is more icky or disgusting or offensive than any other toilet. In heads with holding tanks you're carrying around a bin of truly offensive slurry. And likely it is somewhere underneath where you live, so you're likely sitting/standing/walking on it as well.

If you're a direct flusher then you likely have a meat grinder (a macerator) which gets to chew up all your chunky bits. This gruesome tool is sitting pretty close to anyone who enters the head. How is that not disgusting?

Of course, if you're the type that just lets it fly, well all I can say is please don't visit any enclosed anchorages or marinas with little flow. THIS is the most disgusting thing I've ever heard.
Old 29-05-2016, 09:25   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yes, they're not really composters, although if you leave it long enough it will compost. You could bag it, or carry two bins. Regardless, the end result of 5-6 weeks of continual use is slightly moist soil. Looks, smells and yes indeed even feels like good quality potting soil. Nothing offensive or untoward that would disturb those the more delicate amongst us (Stu ).

I'm always amused at the argument that somehow a desiccating head is more icky or disgusting or offensive than any other toilet. In heads with holding tanks you're carrying around a bin of truly offensive slurry. And likely it is somewhere underneath where you live, so you're likely sitting/standing/walking on it as well.

If you're a direct flusher then you likely have a meat grinder (a macerator) which gets to chew up all your chunky bits. This gruesome tool is sitting pretty close to anyone who enters the head. How is that not disgusting?

Of course, if you're the type that just lets it fly, well all I can say is please don't visit any enclosed anchorages or marinas with little flow. THIS is the most disgusting thing I've ever heard.
AMEN Brother Mike!!!

Well said!

Tags
installation, marine, oil

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: