Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2010, 21:58   #1

Boat: Pearson 367 Cutter
Algae in Water Tank

I have a pressure Pump & a foot pump in my galley sink. Lately, I have been getting a lot of algae coming out of the foot pump faucet not the pressure faucet. I put a filter between the foot pump and the faucet, does't do much good. Any advice?
Clorox ?
hooligan6a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 22:10   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan6a View Post
Clorox ?
Yep! try running City water through it and ad about an ounce bleach more per gallon and run the pumps a little. Then let it sit for a day or two and flush it all out. If you have an access port reach inside with a bottle brush too. Change the filter too.

If you have plastic tanks it may retain the smell for a few days but will eventually go away after going through a few tanks full.
Old 20-06-2010, 00:51   #3

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
FWIW we always add one teaspoon of the Chlorine powder that they sell to clean tanks, each time we fill up (400 litres).
I cannot pick any difference in water taste, and each time I open the tanks to check things - we've never even anything other than clear water!
Oh yeah. I am still alive.
Cheers
John
Old 20-06-2010, 01:49   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
We use 30 mil bleach per 220 litre tank. Thats a nip measure... or 6 teaspoons or 2 table spoons

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 02:42   #5

The thing is the algae only comes out of the faucet from the foot pump not the pressure pump. If it is not coming out of the pressure pump it is not coming out of the tank. The foot pump has new hose and the new filter. Eureka !! It must be growing in the pump, not the tank Thank you all.
Old 20-06-2010, 10:00   #6

Boat: a sailing boat
The filter will not do. Start with cleaning the hoses. Often it is just them. Otherwise flush and de-algae the tank. There is good stuff for that in most chandleries. Get the bio-degradable stuff, avoid chlorox - it is bad for Mother Nature.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 10:30   #7

+1 to check the hoses first (and the foot pump itself). When this has happened to me, it is usually because there is a low spot in a hose that holds a puddle of water when the pump is not in use (and there is also air in part of the tube). The pressure system has no air in the lines. Probably easiest to replace the piece of hose. You might also add a check valve near the faucet so the line doesn't drain and let air in.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 10:51   #8

I also add chlorine (bleach). When filling a tank from a good municipal system, I add 1 teaspoon of standard 5% household bleach per 100 gallons. This is about 0.5 ppm . Most municipal systems in the US treat to 1-2 ppm. I figure the extra 0.5 won't change the taste and gives a little extra punch. If the water source looks/smells clean but is questionable, I'll double the amount. If it doesn't look/smell good, I'll use the water maker rather than put bad water in the tank.

Note that chlorine dissipates quite quickly in the presence of air (including in a vented water tank). The chlorine is pretty much gone after 24 hours.

Carl
Old 20-06-2010, 11:17   #9

Algae in tank

I agree I don't like clorox or any chemicals for that matter I have an aluminum tank and it don't like chemicals. No, it is not the hose, it is new. If it is in the tank why only out of the foot pump and not the pressure pump It must be in the foot pump. Why won't the filter work? I like the idea of a check valve.
Old 20-06-2010, 11:22   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
, avoid chlorox - it is bad for Mother Nature.

b.
In moderation, everything is permissible! Even drinking too much water can kill a person.
W/O bleach you can imagine what a bacterial smelly world we'd live in. Go into a public restroom that hasn't been treated with bleach.
Old 20-06-2010, 11:31   #11

Any chance that the algae is in the outlet side of the filter housing? Quite possible if the filter is only partially full of water after the water drains back. Or even in the faucet fitting itself? Doesn't take much.

Good point on chlorine. If I had an aluminum tank I wouldn't routinely add chlorine.

Carl
Old 20-06-2010, 11:36   #12

Most chemicals are not good for aluminum tanks. Plastic or steel OK, have to be careful with aluminum. I'm not a "greenie", if I had steel or plastic, I would dump in some Clorox.
Old 20-06-2010, 11:43   #13

Carl, Everything from the pump to the faucet is new it is either in the faucet itself or the pump. I'm going take both out and clean and soak them in Clorox