Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2010, 05:42   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Air in My Water System

I thought I had this solved. I was always getting the water pump running and not stopping. No leaks in the system downstream of the pump. I finally redid all the connections in the intake side and the run-on pump and spitting stopped. The water pump would suck air from tiny gaps in the intake side of the plumbing and run continuously. Repairing the connections fixed that.

Until now. I think it put air into the system this time by running the water tank dry. But I've run about 200 gallons through since then and I still get spitting, gurgling, and some pump run-on (where the pump continues to run with no water flowing). I think I have air in the system, including the hot water tank, but running 200 gallons thru should have cleared the air out by now.

I have a new flo-jet pump, a new 1 gallon accumulator tank, a 6 gallon hot water tank. The water storage is the lowest point of the system and the hot water tank is the highest point of the system. I have a brass check valve on the input side of the hot water tank and a check valve at the output of the storage tank.

Again, the system worked very well for several months until I ran the water tank dry, sucking up air into the system.

How do I get the air out of the system?
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 05:45   #2

You have an air leak. Check everything again. Did you use any larger hoses on smaller barbs? (Naughty)
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 06:08   #3
Marine Service Provider

Nothing changed since the system was working well except that I ran the tank dry. The system was working exceptionally well before that. Now I have air downstream.
Old 17-09-2010, 06:30   #4

Boat: Grand Banks 36
Air pockets can trap on high spots both on suction and discharge. One solution is to run full flow with as many faucets open as possible to try and scour the air pockets out of their hiding places thru water velocity.

Either that or daddle is correct, you still have or recently acquired another air leak on the suction side.
pumpcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 06:31   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42
We have gone through the same ballony a few times and it can be very frustrating, In our case I found that air trapped in any of the yacht's lines had to be purged, including the line to the foot pump in the galley and the line from the hot water tank. On our boat it generally takes two or three tank refills before all of the air is expelled or disolved into the water itself.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 11:12   #6

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
I may have missed it, but did you replace the pick up line going into the water tank. I has the same problem with my boat, but also had a bad diaphragm on a brand new pump .. GOOD LUCK
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 11:33   #7
CLOD

Boat: none
If you pumped the tank empty, are you sure you haven't clogged the pump strainer and it is barely pumping and that's why it runs all the time?
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 12:30   #8

Boat: Sceptre 41
I had a similar problem and it turned out to be that the new pump had to high a pressure. When I turned the pressure down everything worked great. I found the solution after I had replaced the accumulator tank and some other parts.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 16:00   #9
Marine Service Provider

I think it's air trapped in the lines. The pump does not run ALL the time, but it will start to run when running water and then Sometimes won't shut off. Very intermittent. I think I need to run & run & run water to flush water bubbles out of pockets. Hopefully.
Old 17-09-2010, 16:26   #10

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
I had to change the copper pickup tube in the tank. Easy to do, but drove me nuts looking for the source of the air in the water system.
I just unscrewed the pickup fitting, looked at the little pinhole at the halfway point, groaned, bought a bronze elbow and some copper tubing, drilled the elbow a little, brazed in the copper, cut to length........good for another 30 years.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 19:27   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Start bleeding the syatem from the furthest fixture back towards the pump. Fore and aft. Bleed both hot and cold water sides.
Ensure that hotwater tank is full
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 07:31   #12

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by armani View Post
Hello, what a superb information providing from you. I like this so much. Today i know something different because of you as fresh air is a must to ensure the health of those who live in the house good ventilation is a must.
Thanks for this great sharing.

What are you trying to sell!!!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 04:02   #13
Marine Service Provider

since you brought it up...

I totally rebuilt the manifold for the two tanks, resealing every single joint. And it fixed it perfectly. No more problems at all...

for about 2 months. Then it started up just as bad if not worse. I think it's because the manifold is in the engine space. The heat is loosening the joints from expansion/contraction and eventually I get an air leak on the intake side.

So this winter I plan on moving the manifold out of the engine room. Big chore but hopefully it will work permanently.

Thanks all
Old 23-01-2019, 16:24   #14

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'
Re: Air in My Water System

Wow. I am having same problem. Replaced pump twice. Pump runs constant. I turn it off at breaker when not needed. Ill have to check the supply side fittings.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 09:25   #15

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC
Re: Air in My Water System

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
I thought I had this solved. I was always getting the water pump running and not stopping. No leaks in the system downstream of the pump. I finally redid all the connections in the intake side and the run-on pump and spitting stopped. The water pump would suck air from tiny gaps in the intake side of the plumbing and run continuously. Repairing the connections fixed that.

Until now. I think it put air into the system this time by running the water tank dry. But I've run about 200 gallons through since then and I still get spitting, gurgling, and some pump run-on (where the pump continues to run with no water flowing). I think I have air in the system, including the hot water tank, but running 200 gallons thru should have cleared the air out by now.

I have a new flo-jet pump, a new 1 gallon accumulator tank, a 6 gallon hot water tank. The water storage is the lowest point of the system and the hot water tank is the highest point of the system. I have a brass check valve on the input side of the hot water tank and a check valve at the output of the storage tank.

Again, the system worked very well for several months until I ran the water tank dry, sucking up air into the system.

How do I get the air out of the system?

Perhaps if you go sailing and open all the faucets this will help dislodge air pockets?
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote