Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-11-2008, 06:15   #16

Boat: Beneteau First 42
We have a 12 year old 16,000 BTU KING-AIR - The Best in Marine Comfort A/C system that runs like a champ, is remarkably quite, and keeps our 42' Beneteau as cold as a meat locker even in mid-summer in the Tampa Bay area. Friends of ours with a sistership to our boat have a 2 year old 16,000 Flagship unit. They frequently comment on how quiet our system is by comparison; and, on how much cooler our boat is than theirs.

s/v HyLyte

"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:28   #17

Boat: Alden 50 in Narragansett Bay, RI
Originally Posted by Just a Tinch View Post
Frankly....I am having the Cruis-airs pulled out of my boat and am replacing them with Mermaid units. The fans on the cruis-airs never shut off, are loud...and they weren't doing a good job. The Mermaid units are great....I installed one on my sailboat.... it was easier than one might expect. Home - Mermaid Manufacturing - Home of Mermaid Marine Air Conditioning I would suggest you look into Mermaid units before you do anything. Yes, its a personal opinion....but it seems I know a number of people who share the same opinion. Also, Mermaid Marine Air units come as cooling only and/or reverse cycle heat. 5 year warranty. An added benefit is they are located in FL....not too far from where I live.

Note that CruiseAir units can be programmed to shut off the fan between cycles by simply punching in the appropriate key on the control pad.
Having had both on different boats, My perception is that A/C is A/C and neither has any significant advantage over the other, in terms of noise, reputation, quality or any other consideration. The only real caution I'd suggest is to make sure whichever you choose has either a plastic or SS drip pan.

S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 07:41   #18

Boat: Grand Banks 42 Classic - Heads Up
Send a message via Yahoo to CaptHead
I am on my second AC for my boat. My first was a King Air 19,000 BTU and it kicked ass. Only 1300 watts and more BTU pew watt than any other brand. It went BANG and shut off one night so I thought it blew up.

I found Artic Air, in FL also, and bought their unit. When you compare them side to side, both are 19,000 BTU and only use 1300 watts AC, the Artic has thicker wall tubing and I think that is a plus.

My Grand BAnks Trawler has a ton of glass and the unit sets under the settee and I also duct to the aft cabin. It is reverse cycle and you could cook meat inside the boat it is so effecient on the heat side.

Artic Air is 800-230-5464

The King Air, I took it out of the boat when the Artic unit arrived and tested it. It worked great! I sold it to another boater on a Force 50 and it is still working great.

I found out you need to back flush the condensers to get the buildup off. I also have a bucket I fill with water and acid I pump through it to clean. They work like new after you flush.

Captain Head
1966 Grand Banks 42 Hull #17
Twin Ford Lehman Diesels
Sterling LP over Epoxy
Life is Great, Skip the Beach
CaptHead is offline   Reply With Quote

air conditioning

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: