Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2016, 15:04   #16

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Re: Advice needed: Sink & shower discharge

My opinion is different from the other posters.

First, do I understand you correctly that you will drain the sinks and shower to a sump? To me, a sump is a low part of the bilge designed to be the primary point where water collects before being pumped overboard by a bilge pump. Is this what you mean?

If so... I have seen boats with showers and sinks that drain to the bilge, and it winds up being a mess from hair, etc. that accumulates over time. If the sump that you are planning to drain to is a low part of the bilge, then I foresee a long term maintenance issue that you will be dealing with. It can cause interference with float switches and bilge pumps. I just would not drain all of that stuff into the bilge.

A gray water tank, as some other folks have discussed, is one way to solve the issue.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 20:33   #17

We live aboard 7 months a year. My galley sink goes over (aft) with a long low slope and works fine, no clogs, no smells, etc, via corrugated white sanitation hose.

The shower and head sinks go into a plastic sump boxes as are sold in many boat stores. There is a built in large filter (which never seems clogged) with multiple inlets (3 I think) and is powered by a rule bilge pump and switch. You clean by remove 4 screws in the cover, but it's almost never required, though I pour a small amount of bleach down the sink if I see mold through the clear lid.

The aft head sump box actually pumps into the forward head sump box before going over via a single above waterline through hull. Seems hokey, but they are on a single breaker so are always turned on together and as needed via the internal float switches. Works like a champ, few through holes.
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 08:18   #18

Boat: Mason 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjcook View Post
I give it a plus on the shower and basin...not the galley sink...too much crud potential, rice, other scraps to plug sump strainer...just a thought...
Agreed.

Been living aboard the last 25 months. When I was new, I would try to dump all the food scraps down the galley sink and one day, it got blocked big time. There is 2 deep sink so all the craps / gunk came flowing the other sink - yuks.

Now I use a very fine strainer in the sink to ensure only liquid get outs. The rest are disposed off in the bin.
ericoh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 08:40   #19

I would not route the galley sink to a sump. Too much smell and condensation etc. I am a firm believer that too many people worry about seacocks. I’ve been there done that. I removed a few seacocks in lieu of one large one. The hoses, T’s,clamps etc running all over to get to that one large seacock are far more risk than a good seacock located nearby.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 08:42   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoha View Post

i didn't want to deal with storing/disposing of the galley water with all the grime and all. but after washing hands and brushing teeth and what not the water is probably still better than saltwater for flushing, or am i wrong?

thank you!
anton
My experience:-

1. I use the shower sump water. After 2 person on the shower, there was too much water flooding the shower room. lol.

2. If I use stale shower water - it stinks worse than using sea water.

3. My head sink is higher than the head so when there is water in the sink, it will flood the head - have to clear the water either manually or 12v pump.

Good luck.
Old 27-01-2016, 08:53   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post

First, do I understand you correctly that you will drain the sinks and shower to a sump?

.. edited..
A gray water tank, as some other folks have discussed, is one way to solve the issue.

Cheers!

Steve
Yes Steve, you caught me here. lol. I am newbie . Using the bilge sump would a smelly proposition. I was thinking of a gray water sump ie Whale Gray Water Tank.

Thanks.
Old 27-01-2016, 08:57   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I would not route the galley sink to a sump. Too much smell and condensation etc. I am a firm believer that too many people worry about seacocks. I’ve been there done that. I removed a few seacocks in lieu of one large one. The hoses, T’s,clamps etc running all over to get to that one large seacock are far more risk than a good seacock located nearby.
Thanks food for thought before I plug up the holes.
Old 27-01-2016, 09:01   #23

Anything with a pump etc is more likely to fail and require maintenance than a simple seacock.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 09:01   #24

Wow. I am overwhelmed by the experience and great tips by this forum.

Thank you for all your responses. Much appreciated. Will keep you updated on my final outcome.
Old 27-01-2016, 09:04   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Our Moody came with shower / sink discharging just above the waterline ask does the sink on the other side. That just leave the engine intake and heads to worry about. If you are thinking about new valves, how about plastic ones so removing the corrosion problems.

Pete
I am going to try out TrueDesign from New Zealand.
Old 27-01-2016, 09:12   #26

My shower drain is plumbed to the sump (which is physically separated from the main bilge) which in turn is pumped out by small bilge pump via float switch and discharges above the waterline. The sink drains (head and galley) are drained above waterline. I use fine strained ss meshes for the double sinks which I got at Walmart for $1 each. Why invent the wheel so to speak? BTW as I usually pre-wash my dishes with sea water I expected the "made in china" ss meshes to disintegrate seasonally but at $1 each I figured it was OK. It's been 5 seasons, still using the same meshes.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 15:56   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post

First, do I understand you correctly that you will drain the sinks and shower to a sump? To me, a sump is a low part of the bilge designed to be the primary point where water collects before being pumped overboard by a bilge pump. Is this what you mean?

.....edited...

Cheers!

Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post

Steve & Cheechako,

My thoughts seems to go faster than my ability to describe them - being a newbie again. Agreed on not routing all the waste to the bilge sump. I am looking at Whale Gray Water tank .

Thanks for pointing me out.
Old 28-01-2016, 20:18   #28

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

My Galley sink drains into a holding tank and I use a masterater pump to discharge,works great.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 07:31   #29

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericoh88 View Post
Steve & Cheechako,

My thoughts seems to go faster than my ability to describe them - being a newbie again. Agreed on not routing all the waste to the bilge sump. I am looking at Whale Gray Water tank .

Thanks for pointing me out.
Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

On our boat, we don't have a gray water tank, and our galley sink and aft head sink are both routed to a common seacock/through hull below the waterline. There is no way to get our galley sink (mounted near the centerline of the boat) to drain above the waterline.

The forward head sink drain is tee'd into the hose that drains the shower. Thus, after brushing teeth or washing hands, there may be a small amount of water in the shower. The Gulper pump (cannot say enough good things about that pump) empties the shower without clogging.

One big advantage of the gray water tank that has not been mentioned - it can help you keep bilges dry if you ever add air conditioning to your boat. You can route your condensate line to the tank rather than the bilge. I personally like dry bilges, and would like to have one someday.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower