Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-07-2013, 20:55   #16

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34
Re: Adding ice to the holding tank...

Twice in the nine years I have owned my 34' Crealock I have opened up the inspection port on the holding tank and scraped down the walls of the tank with a plastic putty knife. Both times there was about an inch of brown soft stuff containing a sand-like solid stuck to the walls. Both times it took a bit of work to get it off the walls. The first time I dipped it out into a bucket and dumped it in the portable toilet emptying station at the marina. The second time we were not in the US, and it went out the thru hull. I heartily recommend cattle gyno gloves from Tractor Supply for the task. Removing it made the surface mounted SCAD level gauge much happier. I washed the brown stuff from some of the 'sand' and found the 'sand' fizzed in weak HCl, so I think it was a carbonate salt.

Old 12-07-2013, 21:00   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Thanks Peggie! I was hoping you'd chime in
My husband was quite dubious of my ice idea, but he is kinda used to my antics so was game to try.
We have a shoot thru tank level gauge that is giving false readings, I'm hoping to fix that by cleaning the tank walls a bit. It was completely scrubbed out 3 years ago. In the fall it will get another scrub out when we replace the PVC lid with fiberglass.
Thanks everyone for the advice
Erika

Old 12-07-2013, 21:24   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Hmmm, Yes I've had a term of loss with my Scad Solo tank monitor's ability to read my holding tank level, but that was a problem with my wiring and not the tank. I've had my current tank for the last ten years without any significant build up of sludge,- certainly not on the vertical walls. I replaced my tank ten years ago because I overtightened and cracked a vent barb,- not for the cause of any sludge build up. Maybe this is something that happens among those with boats that are only used seasonally. I don't know, but it's just not an issue for me. I'm not too concerned about keeping my holding tank clean. Afterall, I plan to continue pumping vile contents into it!
Old 12-07-2013, 21:26   #19

Boat: Moccasins and pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
Twice in the nine years I have owned my 34' Crealock I have opened up the inspection port on the holding tank and scraped down the walls of the tank with a plastic putty knife. Both times there was about an inch of brown soft stuff containing a sand-like solid stuck to the walls. Both times it took a bit of work to get it off the walls. The first time I dipped it out into a bucket and dumped it in the portable toilet emptying station at the marina. The second time we were not in the US, and it went out the thru hull. I heartily recommend cattle gyno gloves from Tractor Supply for the task. Removing it made the surface mounted SCAD level gauge much happier. I washed the brown stuff from some of the 'sand' and found the 'sand' fizzed in weak HCl, so I think it was a carbonate salt.
Will make note to grab some gloves out of my AI kit. Would not have thought of it...

Great info, and I need to do some work on my Crealock holding too. Original wood cover, doesn't really leak, but doesn't really not leak either. Need to replace..... I don't have an inspection port on the holding tank, nor a gauge.

Vowed to work on it this winter after cruising with her ladyship last week. Not a problem, but that's when to handle it, and should be cheap.
Old 12-07-2013, 21:28   #20

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

We use these in brewing- no reason they would not also work in a holding tank.

Tank Washing Nozzles, Clean In Place Nozzles, CIP Nozzles, Stationary Tank Washing Nozzles, Bottle Washing
Old 12-07-2013, 21:33   #21

Boat: Moccasins and pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
We use these in brewing- no reason they would not also work in a holding tank.

Tank Washing Nozzles, Clean In Place Nozzles, CIP Nozzles, Stationary Tank Washing Nozzles, Bottle Washing
great idea....
Old 13-07-2013, 02:42   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ice. Floats, gets rounded edges as it starts melting. Doesn't sound effective.

I do know that coarse salt (rock salt, koshering salt, de-icing salt) can be used effecitvely to clean tanks if you agitate it, because the salt acts like gravel and abrades whatever is in there, until it dissolves. Don't think it would work in the holding tank because you'd need to agitate the boat move than just "tack again".

There are septic tank additives, enzyme packets that you flush to encourage breakups in septic tanks, and those should work while the boat isn't even being used. In the supermarket or hardware store, anyplace folks don't have municipal sewer lines.
Old 13-07-2013, 20:32   #23
Marine Service Provider

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you'd clean it out as I described a couple of times a year instead only a couple times a decade, you wouldn't need any gloves or a scraper.
https://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-B...dp/1892399784/
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 21:43   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

FYI, we did as suggested, detergent in the tank. i put 5-8 gal of water ( 16 gallon tank, shaped like a D). Soapy goodness sloshed around for 24 hours ish.. Planning on pumping out tomorrow but i realized tonight, as i was working out a faulty sump pump issue that our thru tank sensor for the holding tank is working now :-)
Coincidence? I think not. :-)
Thanks all
Old 13-07-2013, 22:15   #25
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Ice. Floats, gets rounded edges as it starts melting. Doesn't sound effective.

I do know that coarse salt (rock salt, koshering salt, de-icing salt) can be used effecitvely to clean tanks if you agitate it, because the salt acts like gravel and abrades whatever is in there, until it dissolves. Don't think it would work in the holding tank because you'd need to agitate the boat move than just "tack again".

There are septic tank additives, enzyme packets that you flush to encourage breakups in septic tanks, and those should work while the boat isn't even being used. In the supermarket or hardware store, anyplace folks don't have municipal sewer lines.

I often use a combination of rock salt and alcohol (rock salt doesn't dissolve in alcohol) to scour clean the insides of difficult to clean objects. It works amazingly well with lots of agitation. Hesitated to recommend it here, as I wouldn't put a solvent in the septic system. It's the bees knees in certain situations though. In a few cases I've filled something with it and then chucked it into our paint shaker. Comes out like new!

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 20:38   #26

Boat: Owens
Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post

I often use a combination of rock salt and alcohol (rock salt doesn't dissolve in alcohol) to scour clean the insides of difficult to clean objects. It works amazingly well with lots of agitation. Hesitated to recommend it here, as I wouldn't put a solvent in the septic system. It's the bees knees in certain situations though. In a few cases I've filled something with it and then chucked it into our paint shaker. Comes out like new!
Thanks minaret, just found a use for an old paint shaker I inherited from a neighbors paint shop.

Craig
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 23:26   #27
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Thanks minaret, just found a use for an old paint shaker I inherited from a neighbors paint shop.

Nice! Just remember, rock salt is abrasive, and needs to be flushed out well when all is done. Just stating the obvious...

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 15:34   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Help me with a related question that came up on the Liveaboard forum thread. "Stupid Sneaks up on me when Least Expected". I had accidently reversed the terminals on my Jabsco macerator pump model 18590 and pumped seawater into my holding tank. The idea was presented that this could be done purposefuly to rinse the tank, by having a reversing switch. Any opinions about wether reverse running of this pump might be detrimental to the impeller or any other thoughts?
Old 15-07-2013, 15:53   #29
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Force, is youtr macerator hooked up between the holding tank and the hull?

Normally it would be hooked up in between the head and the holding tank, so it grinds things up before stuffing them in the tank. And not used or able to be used for emptying the tank out.

No?
Old 15-07-2013, 15:57   #30
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Help me with a related question that came up on the Liveaboard forum thread. "Stupid Sneaks up on me when Least Expected". I had accidently reversed the terminals on my Jabsco macerator pump model 18590 and pumped seawater into my holding tank. The idea was presented that this could be done purposefuly to rinse the tank, by having a reversing switch. Any opinions about wether reverse running of this pump might be detrimental to the impeller or any other thoughts?
Only an Idiot and Liar would say such a thing

PS - My macerator is connected between the tank and hull, that is its' job to empty the tank!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: