Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2006, 05:15   #1

Boat: now floating easy37
accumulator tanks

ii have started to put a bit of thinking into this area and it would seem sensible to me to use an accumulator in the water pressure system, this would do two things a) remove pressure surges from the system and b)supply me with a larger supply of pressurized water without having to run the pump all the time, this in turn would theoretically lead to a longer pump life span as the motor is doing less start stops instead running less but for longer periods. now im just wondering whether anyone has experience with these or any thoughts on the subject, rpc.com.au has a 20l accumulator tank for 159$ this would have started to put a bit of thinking into this area and it would seem sensible to me to use an accumulator in the water pressure system, this would do two things a) remove pressure surges from the system and b)supply me with a larger supply of pressurized water without having to run the pump all the time, this in turn would theoretically lead to a longer pump life span as the motor is doing less start stops instead running less but for longer periods. now im just wondering whether anyone has experience with these or any thoughts on the subject, rpc.com.au has a 20l accumulator tank for 159$ this would supply you with 20l of pressure water before your pump starts to run
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2006, 06:32   #2
Eternal Member

One of the most reliable pumps you can put aboard is the FloJet (NOT ShurFlo). They were recently bought up by ITT, which immediately upped their price -- of course.

However, for the moment these are still very reliable pumps. And, you can find them at discount prices. I've had a FloJet Booster Pump with 1.1 gal accumulator tank (built onto the same fibreglass platform) for the past six years and it's been very reliable.

However, FloJet has now come out with a variable speed pump which doesn't require an accumulator. It maintains a pressure of 30psi and 4.5 GPM flow, varying its speed according to need. It has a cutoff pressure of 40psi, so the initial delivery of water is very fast and, when the pressure drops to 30psi the pump runs just fast enough to maintain that pressure level. Also, it uses a Hall-effect pressure sensor....no switch....which should be quite durable.

This pump, called the FloJet Sensor VSD, has had very good reports according to a marine consultant friend. It comes in 2 sizes: 3.3 GPM and 4.5 GPM. You still may be able to find the larger pump for under $200.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2006, 07:10   #3

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
The floject is a very good pump however be aware that all of the sensor pumps both floject and shureflow have thermal protection circuits on them. If your water system pump is in the engine room like mine they won't work as the ambient temp will trip the sensor.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2006, 07:59   #4

Boat: Bayliner 2556
Accumulator

I found accumulator tanks on Ebay for less. It cut down on the number of times the pump cycles by 1/2.
Craig Harlamoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2006, 08:05   #5

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
Variable speed pumb and accumulator tank

As a liveaboard I used to go through a water pressure pump every 4 months or so. I added an accumulator tank and got 6 months or more yet, the cheapie tank had no bladder and under pressure would absorb the air pocket into the water in about 2 or 3 months so I got a tank with a bladder...got a year out of the pump.

Finally bought an RV Aquajet variable speed waterpump and kept the accumulator with bladder. That was over 6 years ago and the pump is a wonder. The whole system is in the engine compartment and does not "thermal-out" when warm. It is quiet and very efficient delivering sufficient water for both heads and galley.

I also have Flojet and Shurflow pumps doing other duties and (like btrayfors...Bill) I love to avoid ITT Jabsco products as being overpriced, in general and, therefore prefer to use the "other" brands.

Don't know why Aquajet hasn't made much of a presence in the marine market yet it is a good product and priced well.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2006, 15:47   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Is this the pump?

Rick,
Is this your pump?
http://www.johnson-pump.com/JPMarine...et_WPS_Duo.htm
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2006, 21:07   #7

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
The pump looks like mine (different label) yet, wow! That item didn't exist when I bought mine....it really looks like a dynamic duo, doesn't it? Great looking set-up.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote