Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2019, 06:47   #1

A Tip For Spectra Watermaker Installers

Check the tightness of all the factory high pressure fittings BEFORE installing!!!

Ours leaked on first startup. Unfortunately, we are needing to get a tool made to tighten the fittings because there isn't enough room for normal width spanners. We're in the Caribbean and don't have much in the way of tool selection.

This is a dealer doing the install.
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 07:08   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: A Tip For Spectra Watermaker Installers

Amen. I have a Spectra, I installed it, but it leaks whenever I turn it on.

Have you got space for tools? I'm of the mind of don't leave home without them, even if just to save the cost of having yard personnel fix that leak. So far, my experience is that I do repairs of my own, but also am asked to help by other cruisers at marinas because they can't, for example, tighten an alternator belt that is squealing.
Old 20-11-2019, 07:13   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Amen. I have a Spectra, I installed it, but it leaks whenever I turn it on.

Have you got space for tools? I'm of the mind of don't leave home without them, even if just to save the cost of having yard personnel fix that leak. So far, my experience is that I do repairs of my own, but also am asked to help by other cruisers at marinas because they can't, for example, tighten an alternator belt that is squealing.
I was unaware that specialty tools where necessary. Unfortunately, the installer has found several more leaks. All factory fittings. High pressure, low pressure, and filter housing.

Unbelievable.
Old 20-11-2019, 08:39   #4

It was found that many gaskets we're not installed from the factory. There were widespread leaks in most fittings. Most have been fixed after a couple trips to the chandlery. The couple are I'm the quick disconnect fittings and are proving a bit difficult.
Old 20-11-2019, 08:50   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayiii View Post
Check the tightness of all the factory high pressure fittings BEFORE installing!!!

Ours leaked on first startup. Unfortunately, we are needing to get a tool made to tighten the fittings because there isn't enough room for normal width spanners. We're in the Caribbean and don't have much in the way of tool selection.

This is a dealer doing the install.

You may want to look into what is called “Crows feet” there are some of course made specifically for lines, which is what I would get, not the open end ones.

An example
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Crescent-10...0aAh37EALw_wcB
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 08:58   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You may want to look into what is called “Crows feet” there are some of course made specifically for lines, which is what I would get, not the open end ones.

An example
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Crescent-10...0aAh37EALw_wcB
We took an open end wrench to a machine shop and the ground it down to make it thinner.
Old 20-11-2019, 15:30   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

We sell a thinner 13/16" open end wrench for just that job. You are correct it is a very tight fit for a normal wrench.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 16:35   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
We took an open end wrench to a machine shop and the ground it down to make it thinner.

I’ve ground down a few myself, but if you want to they of course are made and aren’t expensive when you get to where you can get a set of course
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Capri-To...waApcOEALw_wcB
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2019, 09:00   #9

Boat: Fountaine-Pajot Bahia 46

Interesting, for the price of units the only leaks should be connections that I make during install not on the unit itself. Dumb question coming....Has Spectra been notified of the deficiencies?
srbigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2019, 09:17   #10

Boat: Baba 40

Is there any information on serial numbers affected (a particular run, perhaps, of problem units)?
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2019, 09:25   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbigham View Post
Interesting, for the price of units the only leaks should be connections that I make during install not on the unit itself. Dumb question coming....Has Spectra been notified of the deficiencies?
It may have just been a unit assembled on a Friday...

The leaking fittings is something that can be fixed after making the right tool. It's the missing gasket for the prefilter that is proving to be the biggest issue. Can't seem to find that size o-ring where we're at.
Old 21-11-2019, 11:07   #12

We just spent an entire day looking at all the stores in Martinique that could carry the o-ring and struck out. Unfortunately, Spectra was helpful only in letting me know the part number. Looks like a $1 o-ring is shutting down a new 11,000 euro watermaker.
Old 21-11-2019, 11:12   #13

Quote:
It may have just been a unit assembled on a Friday...

The leaking fittings is something that can be fixed after making the right tool. It's the missing gasket for the prefilter that is proving to be the biggest issue. Can't seem to find that size o-ring where we're at.
This is why every boat should carry both an imperial and metric size o-ring kit so you can make you your own o-rings to any size whenever and whereever needed.

Like these: https://amzn.to/33aHglQ
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2019, 11:24   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
This is why every boat should carry both an imperial and metric size o-ring kit so you can make you your own o-rings to any size whenever and whereever needed.

Like these: https://amzn.to/33aHglQ

Totally agree. We took possession of the boat in the Caribbean and are doing our best to get it all sorted but there is such limited availability if tools and parts it makes it difficult.

A lot of people like to say how easy it is to shop things to certain islands but that hasn't proven to be the case.

That said, we're sailors so we'll figure it out.
Old 21-11-2019, 11:32   #15

Boat: Outremer 50S

What's the part #/size? Might be able to get one into overnight post for you.

Option B, even though the unit is new, is to buy a filter housing and cartridge, I know I saw complete kits in Le Marin last year. Won't be identical, and Spectra might have something to say about warranty, but there is nothing really special about a 5-micron filter set of the same general capacity.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker