Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2007, 06:58   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Gator, if ya pitch it that way, ya might scare the rubes away! Ergh, Valued Customers, yeah, Valued Customers is what I meant to say.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2007, 07:43   #17

But wait! That's not all! Order in the next 10 minutes and we'll include this set of fabulous chrome-plated ginsu steak knives! They never need sharpening! Hell, you couldn't sharpen them if you tried! All for just 10 payments of $1.99 each! Call now, and we'll throw in a set of bar coasters from the Green Flash Bar in the Florida Keys, for FREE! This collectible set has beer stains verified to have been from various near-celebrities, guaranteed to appreciate! Call now!

must... unplug... tv...
please... no more snow...
Gator81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2007, 08:33   #18

Boat: 1993 Amel Super Maramu 53'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator81
But wait! That's not all! Order in the next 10 minutes and we'll include this set of fabulous chrome-plated ginsu steak knives! They never need sharpening! Hell, you couldn't sharpen them if you tried! All for just 10 payments of $1.99 each! Call now, and we'll throw in a set of bar coasters from the Green Flash Bar in the Florida Keys, for FREE! This collectible set has beer stains verified to have been from various near-celebrities, guaranteed to appreciate! Call now!
Where's the PayPal button?

Mark
Old 12-06-2008, 03:25   #19

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
Hey!

I'm looking at the pet shop market for this. Reversed osmosis is used to purify tap water for aquariums. A reversed osmosis filter that pruduces approx. 35 gallons / 24 hours costs less than $300 US and operates at a pressure of 4 bar. To use this on board, one would only need a pump and some chemicals. Since it's designed to work on tap water I don't know what the capacity would be on sea water, but probably a lot less. I'm trying to get in touch with the manufacturer.

/Hampus
Old 12-06-2008, 04:59   #20

keep us posted.......
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 05:48   #21

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
I got a reply from the manufacturer, they just said "The system is not designed to work on sea water". Sounds like an easy way of avoiding the question. I still think it will work, but with reduced capacity and a more frequent change of filter (on tap water the filter lasts for more than a year). I can get a used system for aquariums for around $80 US. I just might try it.

/Hampus
Old 12-06-2008, 06:18   #22

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
An RO membrane needs in the region of 800 PSI to function with sea water. The domestic type won't output anything. It takes a lot of pressure to strip the salt from the h2o and the membrane is too fine to allow water past it when it is still bonded with the salt.

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:12   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
1 Bar is about 14.5 PSI, so 4 Bar is only about 58 PSI, whereas (as Mike indicates) Desalination of Seawater requires pressures between 600 - 1000 PSI (41 - 70 Bar).
800 PSI = > 55 Bar

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:36   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
I own 2 of these RO systems, 'cause one of my OTHER obsessions is a large reef tank. BTW, all of the corals and most of the fish have been aquacultured.

Anyway, there's NO WAY these systems will work for converting seawater to fresh - similar name, but the technology is WAY different.

bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:25   #25

Boat: c&c landfall 43
so i guess there isn't anyone here that has the waterlog to tell us if it works well or not? I like the idea of it being portable in case of emergency. sorta kills 2 or 3 birds
limmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:37   #26

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
The high presure pump is the success of the Spectra system.. along with the low power comsumed.. My 150 pull about 6.5 amps in dence salt water, and delivers 6 to 7 gallons per hour...
Read the info on the water-log and there's a lota holes in his thinking and what he's claiming... Not all watermakers have to be pickled.. Mine is equepted with a electronic unit that flushes the membrane every 100 hours to keep it clean while not in use...
He points out that it take "MINIMUM" of 4 knots to produce water, and even with our boat, when cruising, we're putting along at around 5 knots in a fair breeze..
And the conversion for while your at anchor, I couldnt find listed anywhere, and it could be me, but I'm refering to the power used at anchor...
Water makers are an extreme in many cruising kittys, as the cheepest Spectra unit is around $5K without the electronic goodies. An I'm sure many could get along with a five gallon jug of water and a bucket of granola. For myself, I injoy not having to worry about that part of cruising, and If I need water, I simply push a button and look, fresh water,
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watermaker