Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2016, 08:22   #16

Boat: Catalina 30 Tall Rig
Re: A/C Draining to Bilge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
You really should at least map out the condenser line plumbing. Find the pump, trace the suction side to its thruhull (and valve, hopefully), and the discharge side to the condenser.
I've been pondering where to put an A/C unit in my Catalina 30, but it has the water heater in the space where I assume yours is. Port side locker, forward end?
Yes. The unit is in the port locker but is in the aft part of the locker just forward of the bilge vent. The duct runs through the locker and discharges air in galley above and aft of the ice box. The through hull intake is amidship on the port side near the engine raw water intake. Discharge through hull is just aft of the A/C unit. Air intake for the unit (as well as access) is through a vent in the quarter berth that draws cabin air into the locker. Hope this helps!
NOLA_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:27   #17

Boat: Catalina 30 Tall Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by windcat View Post
Hi, I have a 1978 Catalina 30. There is no wood whatsoever under the lazarette like yours has. What' it for?
Not sure if it was installed to structurally support A/C unit or part of original construction. If it was a retrofit, must have been a real PIA to install.
NOLA_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:41   #18

The through hull pictured does not have a seacock. These appear to be exit hoses above the waterline.
CHRISBENJES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:54   #19

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
I've been pondering where to put an A/C unit in my Catalina 30, but it has the water heater in the space where I assume yours is. Port side locker, forward end?
We have a 1985 Catalina 30 SR Mk I. We added a Webasto A/C with reverse cycle heat to our boat last year. We moved the two batteries under the nav station to the aft lazarette and put the A/C in the Nav Station. We used a 24,000 BTU unit which would have fit except for the clearances they don't mention on the website, so I had to rebuilt the Nav Station. A 16,000 would likely fit fine in an unaltered Nav Station but would not have the capacity we needed. (According to a few online capacity calculators a 20,000 would have been the best size for our situation, but Webasto does not make one.)

Moving the batteries would have been costly, except my brother had some 0 gauge cables and terminals he gave me. (Three runs about 15 feet, and West charges about $8/ft)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Nav Station with top.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	363.9 KB
ID:	122248   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Nav Station.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	122249  

OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:27   #20

Boat: ODAY 28

agree thing valve is used to prime water pump, seen this on several sailboats,
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:32   #21
Marine Service Provider

It is probably there to help prime the water pump. Some installations can be such that the pump won't stay primes after the Ac gets shut off and the boat heels.
svJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge