Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2017, 18:14   #1

5/8"barb Forespar thru hull

How are some addressing the 5/8" AC water lines using Forespar thru hulls that don't come in 5/8"? I've replaced all my cheap plastic thru hulls with Forespar with same size as I removed, and now am replacing the AC water hose, which is 5/8". The original AC thru hull was 3/4" barb, as is my now new one. I did not catch the differences when I removed the hose as the old hose came off no problem. Winter makeover being done in stages and parts ordered as I go along, so didnt catch the mismatch until today. Didnt have any reducers converting my 5/8" hose to fit the 3/4" thru hull. Any ideas that will allow me to keep my Forespar? All the 5/8" thru hulls Im finding are either cheap plastic or SS, both of which have a smaller body.
Thanks
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 18:52   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: 5/8"barb Forespar thru hull

What's preventing you from buying the correct 3/4" thru=hulls? They're readily available and not expensive.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 19:24   #3

Boat: Able 50

Forespar don't make 5/8" parts so you are going to have to invest in an adapter. Fix a little 3/4" hose to the through hull then connect that to the 5/8" system. These guys make every combination you could ever want.

MarineEast -- Products
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 19:24   #4

Sorry if I was too confusing. I do have a 3/4" thru hull. Original was also 3/4" , but a cheap plastic one. I replaced it with a Forespar 3/4". Issue is that my AC coil is 5/8", as was my original water hose, and now my new hose. All 5/8" thru hulls Im finding have smaller threaded bodies than the 3/4".
I wish to keep my new Forespar, and yet not use adapters to change hose sizes if possible. But its not looking like so.
I guess my question is, is it normal practice to force a 5/8" hose onto a 3/4" barb, as what was done on my boat from factory?

BTW, when I say 5/8 or 3/4, I'm addressing the barb or hose size, not the actual threaded part of the thru hull.

Thanks

Sorry for long reply. Kind of a repeat of my original post.
Old 26-12-2017, 19:43   #5

Boat: Able 50

Not sure about the others but I am not confused at all. Forespar do not make any plumbing fittings of any description in 5/8". If you want to keep your 3/4" Forespar through hull then you have no choice but to use a 3/4" - 5/8" adapter.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 20:09   #6

Boat: Tartan 3800

I understand what you're up against. 5/8" is not as widely used a size, but if the air conditioner uses it, you're stuck with it.

You can use an adapter however the problem is that there are two of them, each one really has to be double clamped on both sides, they have to be supported, they have to be accessible, and there are four more joints that could possibly leak or fail, making this a bigger deal than the $2.95 fitting would suggest.

What are the connections on your A/C coil made of? If copper, you can sweat on a copper 5/8"x3/4" bushing and then use 3/4" line. Hard to find 5/8" bushings but they are out there (Grainger e.g.) and would make a nice clean connection.

Forcing a 5/8" hose over a 3/4" barb is widely done in the automotive world. I don't think I'd do it with a thru hull.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 10:12   #7

Boat: Nordic 44

Replace the full length of 5/8" hose with 3/4" hose. Prepare a short piece of double walled 1/2" vinyl hose as a spacer by removing the inner portion (wall). Place that spacer over the hose barb on the air conditioner. Place the 3/4" hose over the spacer. Double clamp as usual. Be sure not to over tighten the clamps - a common mistake.

Now you have 3/4" hose running all the way to the A/C.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 10:16   #8

Boat: Coast 30

savoir
Forespar don't make 5/8" parts so you are going to have to invest in an adapter. Fix a little 3/4" hose to the through hull then connect that to the 5/8" system. These guys make every combination you could ever want.

================================================
I take great exception to this statement. Forespar do not make Marelon fittings in every combination I want. My most recent issue is that my engine room floor is 2.2 inches thick. and they do not make a 3/4 through hole fitting long enough for my sea water engine coolant. and NO I do not want to use a larger size than necessary as they have suggested.

I bet I am not the only person in the world with wood planking that would appreciate one of those. I think they could do more to extend their product line.

In decades past I worked in the research and development department of Lesney Products in east London England. We regularly made temporary injection molds to produce 100 samples to test the market. A pattern was machined and set up on a split line. low melting point metal was sprayed for a working surface and then backed up with marble flour filled epoxy.
of course the process was then repeated to make the other half. the samples were made on a manually operated injection molding machine
manufactured in Italy.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 12:40   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalexplorer View Post
savoir

================================================
I take great exception to this statement. Forespar do not make Marelon fittings in every combination I want. .......
I read it to say he was saying MarineEast (the link he provided) makes every combination, not Forespar.

Thanks for the ideas guys. Several ways mentioned to adapt the 2 sizes. Such a simple task. If Foerspar would just make a 5/8" thru hull to accomodate all the AC units with 5/8 coils......I will just pick up MarineEast 5/8-3/4" adapter at WM since I already have the 5/8" hose.

Tags
hull, thru hull