Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2009, 16:57   #1

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
2" Vented Loop Source

Does anybody know of a source for a 2" vented loop. All of the usual suspects Jabsco, Forespar, Buck Algonquin and Groco only go up to 1 1/2".
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 17:09   #2

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Try here: Marine Introduction

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 17:49   #3

Give they guys at Marine Sanitation in Seattle a call. If they dont have one, they can probably find one.

Marine Sanitation, Inc. | Seattle, WA | 1-800-624-9111
westsail42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 17:56   #4

that's aweful big. What's it for?
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 18:02   #5

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Here's a couple for Westsail42... Beautiful boat we saw in Annapolis at the show.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	marine_seatrialbig.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	7033   Click image for larger version

Name:	marine_slip-1.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	7034  

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 18:30   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Here's a couple for Westsail42... Beautiful boat we saw in Annapolis at the show.
Thanks for that. Thats what I wanna be when I grow up!!
westsail42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 22:38   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
that's aweful big. What's it for?
Its for a Rule 4000 bilge pump, it uses 2" discharge. I had thought of reducing to 1 1/2 at the loop but it really cuts down on the output potential.

Thanks for the Links Christian and Westsail42
Old 09-02-2009, 04:15   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens 47 View Post
Its for a Rule 4000 bilge pump, it uses 2" discharge. I had thought of reducing to 1 1/2 at the loop but it really cuts down on the output potential.

Thanks for the Links Christian and Westsail42
I'm still not seeing why you would use a vented loop for that install. Put a one way valve about a foot from the pump.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:40   #9
Marine Service Provider

You can get a 2" anti siphon valve from Scot Pump co. They make excellent vented loops and we have been using them for years with our engines. They are made of stainless with a plastic/stainless poppet valve.

I dont recommend a not return valve in a bilge pump line. The spring loaded ones dramatically reduce the flow and the little flap types bleed back slowely.

Scot Pump are in Florida. Their phone number is 954 524 6776. The part number for the 2" vented loop is VL-20.

Regards,
Stanley
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
I'm still not seeing why you would use a vented loop for that install. Put a one way valve about a foot from the pump.
The pump is below the water line. I am not a fan of one way valves. I could move the discharge higher up the side of the hull above the max heeled water line. Not sure I want to do that. This bilge pump is my large volume pump that is higher in the bilge. Theoretically it should not see much use but thats what it there for.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:35   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCboatrx View Post
You can get a 2" anti siphon valve from Scot Pump co. They make excellent vented loops and we have been using them for years with our engines. They are made of stainless with a plastic/stainless poppet valve.

I dont recommend a not return valve in a bilge pump line. The spring loaded ones dramatically reduce the flow and the little flap types bleed back slowely.

Scot Pump are in Florida. Their phone number is 954 524 6776. The part number for the 2" vented loop is VL-20.

Regards,
Stanley

I have a email into them have not heard back yet. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:08   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens 47 View Post
The pump is below the water line. I am not a fan of one way valves. I could move the discharge higher up the side of the hull above the max heeled water line. Not sure I want to do that. This bilge pump is my large volume pump that is higher in the bilge. Theoretically it should not see much use but thats what it there for.
Bilge pumps as a rule are below the water line.

having a vented loop 10' up a 2" hose will allow for a large amount or return water when the pump stops.
This amount could be significant enough to keep the pump cycling on and off.
I'd prefer to use a duck valve or flaper valve within a foot of the discharge of the pump.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:27   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Pat:
This is his "large volume" pump, likely backed up by a smaller housekeeping pump mounted lower in the bilge. The higher volume back flow (from a 2" discharge) shouldn't be a routine occurance, nor a problem. The small pump will evacuate it.
I don't generally like check valves where any contaminants may be present (like a bilge).
Many bilge pumps have only an unvented anti-siphon loop (reverse trap), which seems to work fine.
Hopefully, Scot Pump can provide the 2" vented loop he desires.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:29   #14

Gord,
I see your point, but disagree.

If this is to be a crash pump. Why have it at all? In the case of a hull breach. Your not going to be under sail for long. You'll switch over to motor to make power for the pump. Why not put an internal pick up for the raw water pump on the engine.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:01   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Pat:
This is his "large volume" pump, likely backed up by a smaller housekeeping pump mounted lower in the bilge. The higher volume back flow (from a 2" discharge) shouldn't be a routine occurance, nor a problem. The small pump will evacuate it.
I don't generally like check valves where any contaminants may be present (like a bilge).
Many bilge pumps have only an unvented anti-siphon loop (reverse trap), which seems to work fine.
Hopefully, Scot Pump can provide the 2" vented loop he desires.
Thats been my thinking. I am now considering locating the discharge as near the hull deck join as possible, that will improve the discharge volume significantly by reducing friction loss. The next choice if I was to do that is do I put a seacock on the discharge through hull. Does anybody see a problem with a discharge so high on the side of the boat...besides the aesthetics.