Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2012, 00:06   #1

12V booster pump to watermaker?

I have a katadyn 160E to install. Seems like a booster pump is a nice thing to have in the installation. Katadyn booster pump kit is although pricy. Can you recommend any other pump to use that draws minimal amp (1amp)?
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 00:37   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: 12V booster pump to watermaker?

One amp is going to be a trick but look at the Johnson mag drive pumps. They run about $200+ but are very reliable for smaller watermaker boost pumps.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 01:28   #3

How about this one on ebay:
Old 19-08-2012, 01:41   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
How about this one on ebay:

Not sure as I've never used one of those. My first question about that one is the electrical connections and their sutability for a salt water enviroment. Open connections at the motor are doomed to fail quickly. Also remember that these type of pumps must be mounted below your boats waterline which tends to make them even more susceptible to salt exposure damage.
Old 19-08-2012, 03:24   #5

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

A pump that draws less than 1 amp is not going to give you much boost
The output of a pump is fairly well correlated to current draw...more current, more pressure / flow...why not look at what the Katadyn boost pump actually is..probably Shureflow or Jabsco and buy one at a discount store...
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 03:56   #6

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Do you plan to use the unit in inland waters with the silt reduction kit? I have a 160 but only use it outside of harbors with no silt reduction kit and have had no issues that would require a boost pump. My unit is mounted nearly 3 feet above the water line in my cat and produces at the rated output or better without the boost pump. It usually produces slightly more water than advertised because the advertised rating is at 12 volts and since I usually run it while the engine is running I'm usually well over 13 volts so the pump runs a bit faster.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 06:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Do you plan to use the unit in inland waters with the silt reduction kit? I have a 160 but only use it outside of harbors with no silt reduction kit and have had no issues that would require a boost pump. My unit is mounted nearly 3 feet above the water line in my cat and produces at the rated output or better without the boost pump. It usually produces slightly more water than advertised because the advertised rating is at 12 volts and since I usually run it while the engine is running I'm usually well over 13 volts so the pump runs a bit faster.
How many pre-filters do you have in your installation?
I have one filter 30 micron but had some plans maybe install on 5 micron too to protect the water maker a little bit more. My thought was that if I add an extra filter it increases the ease of water flow and there for I would need an boost pump. Right or wrong? THe water maker do not has to work that hard if using a booster pump and it will last longer. Correct?

If I would install a bigger booster pump, lets say 4 amp. Would it make my watermaker to produce more per hour?
Old 19-08-2012, 07:10   #8

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

If you have a Katadyn or a Pur watermaker, you need Gary Albers' excellent and free watermaker book.

Katadyn and PUR Watermakers: Installation, Maintenance and Troubleshooting

The pump Katadyn sells is a March Model 893-04. Its pricey but maybe not as pricey as through Katadyn.

A fellow I know replaced his boost pump with an inexpensive baitwell pump. His watermaker is a DIY and the baitwell pump worked well this winter in the Bahamas.
Old 19-08-2012, 08:01   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
I have one filter 30 micron but had some plans maybe install on 5 micron too to protect the water maker a little bit more. My thought was that if I add an extra filter it increases the ease of water flow and there for I would need an boost pump. Right or wrong? THe water maker do not has to work that hard if using a booster pump and it will last longer. Correct?

If I would install a bigger booster pump, lets say 4 amp. Would it make my watermaker to produce more per hour?

I prefer filtering down to the five micron level, just better protection of the watermaker. The restriction of flow with these sized filters 5-50 on smaller scale watermakers is more from the quality of the pre-filter than the micron size. The better pleated filters simply have more surface area than the cheaper ones, up to 35%, gaining better flow. You will not really see any better performace product wise from a properly installed watermaker with a boost pump and I cannot stress enough the importance of properly installing any watermaker. But I have found that a boost pump installed will in most cases make the watermakers high pressure system last longer as it works less attempting to draw as opposed to a postive head pressure. It would be a precious waste of battery power to add a 4amp pump. If you're not going to go with a Katadyn boost pump, again I have found the Johnson is your best all around performance bet.
Old 19-08-2012, 08:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I prefer filtering down to the five micron level, just better protection of the watermaker. The restriction of flow with these sized filters 5-50 on smaller scale watermakers is more from the quality of the pre-filter than the micron size. The better pleated filters simply have more surface area than the cheaper ones, up to 35%, gaining better flow. You will not really see any better performace product wise from a properly installed watermaker with a boost pump and I cannot stress enough the importance of properly installing any watermaker. But I have found that a boost pump installed will in most cases make the watermakers high pressure system last longer as it works less attempting to draw as opposed to a postive head pressure. It would be a precious waste of battery power to add a 4amp pump. If you're not going to go with a Katadyn boost pump, again I have found the Johnson is your best all around performance bet.
Can you give me some advice before installing this 160E?
Where is good location? Bow, middle, stern? High or low?
Do you put the water directly into your water tank or do you have a separate just to make sure a bad watermaker doesn't make all water un-drinkable?
Old 19-08-2012, 08:32   #11

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcapo View Post
If you have a Katadyn or a Pur watermaker, you need Gary Albers' excellent and free watermaker book.

Katadyn and PUR Watermakers: Installation, Maintenance and Troubleshooting
What more can I say.
Old 19-08-2012, 08:48   #12
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Can you give me some advice before installing this 160E?
Where is good location? Bow, middle, stern? High or low?
Do you put the water directly into your water tank or do you have a separate just to make sure a bad watermaker doesn't make all water un-drinkable?

As watermakers go the 160Es are simple units. If you take 10 of the same exact boats and the same system you'll have ten different installations. The first thing I'd recommend is to take your time deciding where you want to install it. You don't want for example to bury it under bunks ladden down with gear that makes it a pain to service. All watermakers need to be properly and regularly serviced if you want them to behave. If they're hard to get to then the that service is less likely to get done. Keep it as close to the waterline as possible, I don't recommend that it is installed in the bilge area. Each year I re-build several watermakers that were installed in the bilge and were flooded. Keep it as close to the intake thru hull as possible keeping these runs as short as possible. Make sure you properly size and protect the electrical feed to the unit. On a manual unit like the 160E a simple three way valve should be installed on the product out put line so you can test the water first before directing it to your tanks. Add some extra product tube to the test side as this is a perfect way to fill water bottles, jugs, pots for cooking, or have a way to get fresh water when your fresh water tanks on board go sour. Many times routing the test line to the galley sink and adding a small "J" faucet is really, really, handy.
Old 19-08-2012, 17:56   #13

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:

I tried to post an answer earlier today but all my posts were failing. Since I just got a huge backlog of notices I assume CF was having a problem. In answer to your question I only have one filter at 30 microns, but I generally use the unit in the tropics in very clean water. I'm in Maine at the moment and even the off shore water here has a lot more stuff in it. The filter was pretty dirty after only one water generating run. If I was going to stay up here I would probably add the second filter. Katadyn says that the second filter requires the boost pump, but it does not really increase system output, it just assures that you get sufficient water to the high pressure pump. I don't think a bigger pump will increase the output at all.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 06:17   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 42'westsail Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to bluesphere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill

I tried to post an answer earlier today but all my posts were failing. Since I just got a huge backlog of notices I assume CF was having a problem. In answer to your question I only have one filter at 30 microns, but I generally use the unit in the tropics in very clean water. I'm in Maine at the moment and even the off shore water here has a lot more stuff in it. The filter was pretty dirty after only one water generating run. If I was going to stay up here I would probably add the second filter. Katadyn says that the second filter requires the boost pump, but it does not really increase system output, it just assures that you get sufficient water to the high pressure pump. I don't think a bigger pump will increase the output at all.
I'm looking for a feed pump for an engine driven 18gpg watermaker, any suggestions?
bluesphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 19:38   #15

I know this is an old thread, but I'm looking for a boost pump for my water maker and found this one:

http://www.pumpvendor.com/Jabsco_59520-0000.html

A little pricey at $300 but looks to be good quality.
Bambolera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watermaker