Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2013, 12:21   #1

Boat: Taswell 49
12 volt water maker suggestions

Presently shopping for a 12v watermaker for clients boat. Engine would be likely run during operation and boat is well equipped with wind a solar charging options. As engine is likely to be run during watermaking would prefer high output (well for a 12v unit anyway).
Old 26-08-2013, 15:05   #2

Re: 12 volt water maker suggestions

I think you should know how much water you need per day, with 4 people on board. That's important for the size of the watermaker. 1.5 or 4.5 gallons of fresh water per hour makes a difference....
tom1263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 16:00   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Hard to beat the energy effieciency and excellent support from Spectra, but they are pricey.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 16:28   #4

I'm in the BVI so anything is going to be pricey. As for the output question I hear ya. What is the top end to expect from a 12v system? PUR 80 is what 3.5 GPH? Spectra Catalina is bout the same? Maybe would be better off with an AC unit and a Honda EU 2k to run it?
Old 26-08-2013, 16:40   #5

Spectra Catalina 300 is about 12 GPH. Spectra makes a few models larger than the Catalina too. DC driven is not a limiting factor for cruising size systems.
Old 26-08-2013, 16:44   #6

Ok maybe need to look that way. Have heard mores than a few spectra complaints here in the BVI though.
Old 26-08-2013, 17:09   #7

Boat: Shopping...

I have a Katadyn 80. I have to run it 1 to 1.5 hour every day to meet our water demand. I'm doing that with solar power. No need to crank an engine. What I like is the simplicity of the Katadyn: 3-5 minutes after start-up, water is at 280-300 ppm range. When we have made enough, just turn it off. No backwashing ever.

When we enter an anchorage where water is not clean enough (or taking a slip), it takes me less than 10 minutes and half gallon of fresh water to pickle it.

Whenever I'm not going to use it for more than 2 days, I pickle it. Doing so, I avoid bacterial growth in the system.

We are two persons on board.
Marc
MARC D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 17:25   #8

We just recently installed the 40e and have been pretty happy with it. One thing that I'd comment on about the engine driven stuff is that there are times when you might not want to run your engine for power. We just had a tropical storm roll through and the water has been disgusting and foul for days. I wouldn't run the watermaker either, but I'm glad I've got 270w of solar.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 17:29   #9

The nice thing about engine drive is output for the initial cost, as well as... at 25 GPH, you can put 100 gallons in the tank while you are motoring to the next harbor! Then you dont have to make water out of that mucky, turd infested harbor water!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 17:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
The nice thing about engine drive is output for the initial cost, as well as... at 25 GPH, you can put 100 gallons in the tank while you are motoring to the next harbor! Then you dont have to make water out of that mucky, turd infested harbor water!
You couldn't pay me enough to spark the engine in this place, and it's been like that for two days, even just to leave the place.

I literally saw an entire intact palm tree float by, not to mention the cacti, tree stumps, and normally ~50' visibility reduced to ~1'. I barely want to flush the head.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 17:43   #11

Boat: Shopping...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Everyone's needs different. We tend to stay at anchor for weeks at the same spot, while exploring that new island. Running the 12 volts watermaker a bit every day out of the solar panels allow us to (almost) forget we have an engine!

Marc
Old 26-08-2013, 18:07   #12
ub1

Boat: 45' leopard cat
Engine drive has worked well, echotech 20 gph and run sea frost refrigeration while making water an hour a day, also charges batteries. Usually motor at some point if travelling.
ub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 18:11   #13

Not likely to go engine driven on this boat. Perhaps on my own though. I'm thinking 12v system and wondering whose gives you the best gallon per watt ratio.
Old 26-08-2013, 18:45   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Demeter View Post
Not likely to go engine driven on this boat. Perhaps on my own though. I'm thinking 12v system and wondering whose gives you the best gallon per watt ratio.
Spectra by far. I did the math on all the major brands when I intalled mine...a bit dated now so some others may have improved. Their Clarkson pump ( actually a non-powered pressure intensifier) really drops the power usage because w it there is no power driven high pressure pump...just a feed pump.
Old 26-08-2013, 18:49   #15

Boat: a sailing boat

Many owners say buy biggest you can and I can see their point.

I like Spectra wm much as I do not like their control panels (the highly automated ones). I would buy a Spectra for our boat too.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, water