Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2018, 18:52   #1

Boat: Easton Aluminum Catamaran
ZF V-drive leaking ATF from main seal

Hi,

I have 2 ZF V-drives (HBW 150v-20) one is from the 90's one was replaced in 2014 (Not sure why).

Both leak ATF from I think the main seal. The newer one leaks more then the old one but both leak. It looks like a lot of fluid when you see a red puddle in the bilge, but in reality it is probably no more then a few tablespoons on a 12 hour steam. I replaced the fluid (sucked out the old) and put in exactly the 1 litre the spec call for. On the dip stick, which is pretty hard to get a good reading on, it was 10mm over the full line, and after a month of leaking what seems like litres of fluid it is still just above the line. The other (older) one was the same and is leaking much less but is still about 10mm above the line.

ATF is cheap and I could just keep an eye on it but of course I would rather have it tiptop!

automatic transmission /power steering sealant an option?

Also note I'm in the middle of no where, can't buy anything but truck parts, and have zero local expertise at my disposal.....
chphotographic is offline   Reply With Quote