Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2014, 01:12   #31

Boat: Jeanneau 349
Re: Yanmar SD50 Saildrives - Have the Cone Clutch Problems Been Solved ?

I had a SD-50 cone clutch just fail just around 250 hrs on a 2013 41 Beneteau. Not only this presents a serious safety issue when it happens on a cruise but mechanics unfamiliar with the flaw can spend a bit of time trouble shooting and often look into wrong areas like prop and prop hub.... The SD-50 clearly has some issues, of course Yanmar won't admit it because it could be an expensive recall for them. Althouhg Yanmar's SD-50 manual recommends clutch maintenance every 500hrs, techs say it should be done every 250hrs. It's not a very complicated service since it can be done with the boat in the water but in the US, this is a $700 to $1,000 service call. Their solution to the problem is the new SD-60 version which has a more robust clutch system.
telecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 04:23   #32

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Yanmar SD50 Saildrives - Have the Cone Clutch Problems Been Solved ?

The Yanmar SD40 & SD50 Saildrives are clearly a poorly designed and now a defective product. The poor unsuspecting owners of these Yanmar SD40 & SD50 Saildrives are spending big money every year and enduring potential damage to their boats when cone clutch just decides not to work for them as they are docking.

Legal action should be taken, so these drives are swapped out for a new Yanmar SD60 Saildrive at Yanmars expense, so cruisers can get back to sailing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf YMTQTB13-022-Notice-of-replacement-SD60.pdf (334.6 KB, 546 views)
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 07:59   #33

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Totally agree. There was some talk from existing users about starting a class action law suit but this is such a small market that the numbers alone will likely fail to attract lawyers. I would think that the relentless posting of SD-50 issues and Yanmar's muted attitude to resolve the issue could do some damage to the brand. Hopefully, they'll react. They really should, this cannot be good for them.
telecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 11:14   #34

Refer to my link to effect the repair. If done correctly, your problems are at an end!!

Sent from my GT-I9082L using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Panache5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 11:18   #35

Do the repair according to my link, if done correctly it is the end of the problem.
The origin of the problem on the SD50&40 is too much vertical play on the centre shaft as discussed in my link.

Old 03-08-2014, 15:37   #36

Hello Panache,

You mentioned a link to the instructions on how to adjust the verticle play in the shaft of the SD50 using thrust bearings or washers... Could you please provide that link again? I am about to tackle the Lapping job and would like to get the verticle play issue resolved while I have the thing apart.

Thanks,

Mac
TheOrigCaptMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:43   #37

Look at my post #20 & #26. Purchase a thrust washer kit, collar and nut from Yanmar. (Part nos are listed in Yanmar parts list). Follow the Yanmar overhaul/service manual : Lap the cone, fit/adjust the vert play (0.2mm) with the the thrust washers, make sure the selector is also adj correctly, and your problems should be at an end.
NOTE; The vertical free play on the centre shaft, as well as correct selector adjustment is most important.

Old 05-08-2014, 20:17   #38

Hello Panache,

I have reviewed all of your posts and even printed them out and taken them directly to two separate Yanmar Dealers here in Houston and no one has been able to find the parts you describe. On the Yanmar parts list there is only item number 65 on the exploded parts list which is the thrust washer. There is no mention or part number for a washer kit... Do you happen to have your old documentation where you could perhaps list out the exact parts you are referring to so we might be able to locate them? I also have not found a tech in my area that even knows how to lap the clutch cone which greatly concerns me being this is supposed to be "easy" and "routine maintenance" My dealer actually told me after reading your post that if I can find the parts and actually figure out how to complete this project that he would refer any and all requests for this repair to me because he doesn't want to mess with it...

If you could please let us know the exact part numbers you used, I would be very appreciative. Also, I have searched the web and could not find a manual describing the adjustment or the lapping process. If you have the part number for this as well or can direct me to a site where I can download it that would be quite helpful as well.

Fair Winds,

Capt Mac
Old 09-08-2014, 14:47   #39

Refer to my answer to Matauri on 19/06 for part nos. Yanmar agent in SA Supplied the lapping procedure. It is a std and well known procedure. Sure you can google it. I am concerned that if you are not even able to source the parts and procedure, that you will be able to perform the repair. Like I said before; it has to be done correctly!!.

Old 09-08-2014, 18:53   #40

Lapping procedure was actually quite easy and I can see the vertical play in the assembly what I CAN'T do is find a thicker thrust washer.

I am considering fabricating my on in the machine shop but since this unit only has 224 hours and is still very much in warranty I would rather Yanmar own up and fix it.

I have been in contact with three separate Yanmar retailers/service centers as well As Laborde Products who are the regional Yanmar distributor and no one knows anything about a Thrust washer kit.

Is there a reason you are hesitant to list a part number on this forum?

I filmed the lapping procedure and will upload a link to the footage on YouTube to anyone interested.

Fair Winds,

Mac
Old 10-08-2014, 03:45   #41

Like I said before; I listed the part nos on this forum on 19/06/2014. Under Matauri500 posting #2 Look it up!

Old 10-08-2014, 04:42   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panache5000 View Post
Like I said before; I listed the part nos on this forum on 19/06/2014. Under Matauri500 posting #2 Look it up!

To save others having to stuff around searching the forums for this obscure reference, the post in question is here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1568069

Note: Contrary to expectations, it does not refer to a "thrust washer kit". It says "the thrust washers come in 0.5mm thickness increments" but only gives one part number for a thrust washer.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:30   #43

Perhaps you should have done your own investigation, and not rely on someone else to do it for you, then you would not have to "stuff around" to find the info.

You obviously do not know the subject. The part no is for Qty1 Thrust Washer (Yanmar Description), which when supplied is qty3 washers of varying thickness!!!

Do your own homework in future.
Old 10-08-2014, 15:03   #44

Boat: Lagoon 400

I also know a few boats with this same problem, and it is a real concern the manufacture is not doing something about it. I asked at the Yanmar stand a recent boat show what is been done about this problem, I was told they have a new leg out now quote (new technology as though it is a piece of electronic equipment) or and I must be shifting my gears wrong (too slowly) so it must be my fault.
I think it is a real safety issue because when it happens you loose thrust, someone could end up doing a lot of damage to their boat and other boats around them, and worst case someone could get injured because of this fault.
Panache 5000 claims problem is gone when you do as he suggests, I am interested for how long before the problem arises again. For good or in 250 to 500 hours?
I am sure I read somewhere about Volvo having the same problem and it was eliminated by changing the oil to motor oil, has anyone else heard or tried this?
I always spend a bit of time reading manuals on the gear boxes of the boats I work on, and most, not all are able to use SAE40 for the gear oil.
Anyway I hope this problem is something Yanmar will come up with a better solution than to upgrade to a SD60.
Old 10-08-2014, 16:00   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Comments in line:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panache5000 View Post
Perhaps you should have done your own investigation, and not rely on someone else to do it for you, then you would not have to "stuff around" to find the info.

You obviously do not know the subject.

That's why I am following the thread. (I don't currently have any experience with SD50s, but am looking at a boat which has them)

The part no is for Qty1 Thrust Washer (Yanmar Description), which when supplied is qty3 washers of varying thickness!!!

I see, Thank you for that missing piece of information. You have now clarified what appears to have been confusing several forum members in your previous postings.

Do your own homework in future.

If that is your attitude, why did you bother to post the solution in the first place?

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, Cone, sd50, SD50 Cone Clutch, yanmar, Yanmar SD40, Yanmar SD50