Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2018, 17:12   #1

Yanmar SD 50 clutch gears

Hi all,

I have a question about replacing the gears on my yanmar SD 50. I accidentally damaged the gears in the clutch cone assembly while re-installing the assembly.

I did not tighten the 4 bolts down that connect the pinion gear into the cone properly and the result was a couple damaged teeth on the cone gears.

One Yanmar dealer where I am says I have to buy a complete new set of gears and has a used one to sell me for $1700!

Another Yanmar dealer nearby gave me a couple of gears that had busted bearings, but the gears were in great shape. He recommended I press my bearings (which are still good) onto these gears and using them with my existing pinion gear. He said this will work as long as I shim the new gears and casing correctly.

At this point my head is starting to spin. Do I need to buy a complete new gear set? Or will it be safe to go with the used gears and re-shim everything?

If I can go with the used gears has anyone re-shimmed an SD 50 and what is the process?

Thanks,

Chris
Cbiasutti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, gear, yanmar