Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-06-2015, 15:37   #46

Re: Yanmar saildrive - water leak management

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
for the record:

i have pumped out saildrive oil in both legs to see any traces of water. Helps against slipping as well.

After 3 weeks, I found around 3 cm3 of water on bottom of bottle from port saildrive. Oil was changed after 20 min motoring.

This leads to strategy how to live with water in saidrives till next slip.

Motor for at least 20 min every week.

this way water will remain trapped by oil and no corrosion.

Anyone similar experience ?

Yes! As I've already mentioned; Mercury Quicksilver stern drive oil is supposed to be the most water tolerant of suitable oils. There are two qualities and the more expensive is meant to be the better, of course. I forget its designation. It should not be mixed with ordinary oils, though if you drain the old and let it drip for a while there is no problem in my experience.

The Yanmar shaft wears where it contacts the seals. There is a standard fix to build up that area with a harder metal and grind it back to the right diameter. I think they use hard chrome. I had that done several years ago and have never had a problem since. Of course replace the seals at the same time.

You should be fine for a while using Quicksilver oil and changing it when possible. But the oil is expensive and the repair not very expensive and was done within 2 days for me. I think the Mercury oil must necessarily be good as it is very very common to see Mercury Stern Drives having seals replaced on hard stands. They don't like fishing lines. The Yanmar seal is fairly well protected from fishing lines.

Old 25-06-2015, 02:17   #47

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
20 cm above the waterline??? Where's the engine, in the cockpit?
well, I have cat with large engine room. And not heavily loaded. I am pretty large and can do things around motor.

Seacock does not have to be closed ever as it is above water line. Have proven it by removing hose and not closing seacock! Oil level is another 15 cm higher.

I also learned that I do not have to close seacock when changing impeller. So it is really easy operation. Also changing saidrive oil is really easy in water.

Old 25-06-2015, 02:26   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHO View Post
Yes! As I've already mentioned; Mercury Quicksilver stern drive oil is supposed to be the most water tolerant of suitable oils. There are two qualities and the more expensive is meant to be the better, of course. I forget its designation. It should not be mixed with ordinary oils, though if you drain the old and let it drip for a while there is no problem in my experience.

The Yanmar shaft wears where it contacts the seals. There is a standard fix to build up that area with a harder metal and grind it back to the right diameter. I think they use hard chrome. I had that done several years ago and have never had a problem since. Of course replace the seals at the same time.

You should be fine for a while using Quicksilver oil and changing it when possible. But the oil is expensive and the repair not very expensive and was done within 2 days for me. I think the Mercury oil must necessarily be good as it is very very common to see Mercury Stern Drives having seals replaced on hard stands. They don't like fishing lines. The Yanmar seal is fairly well protected from fishing lines.

thanks for hints & will have a look when get a chance. I just wanted to prove it to distinguish good info from suburbia legends. Oil change costs $30 & 1/2 hour, not such a big deal. I can get it 1.8L out.
Old 25-06-2015, 04:33   #49

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Quote:
well, I have cat with large engine room. And not heavily loaded. I am pretty large and can do things around motor.

Seacock does not have to be closed ever as it is above water line. Have proven it by removing hose and not closing seacock! Oil level is another 15 cm higher.

I also learned that I do not have to close seacock when changing impeller. So it is really easy operation. Also changing saidrive oil is really easy in water.
I'm trying to get my head around this. The seacock which, from memory is around 5 cm above the rubber boot is above the waterline? Do you have any cavitation issues when punching to windward?
Anyway, install a reservoir as high as possible to keep positive pressure within the sterndrive.

Positively, socially deviant.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 04:38   #50

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
I'm trying to get my head around this. The seacock which, from memory is around 5 cm above the rubber boot is above the waterline? Do you have any cavitation issues when punching to windward?
Anyway, install a reservoir as high as possible to keep positive pressure within the sterndrive.
He must be talking about a different seacock as part of or at the strainer. Opening the strainer would allow for not having to close the seacock when changing the impeller.
Old 25-06-2015, 05:20   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
He must be talking about a different seacock as part of or at the strainer. Opening the strainer would allow for not having to close the seacock when changing the impeller.
I am talking about my frozen seacock in SD 50. See pic. I only undo impeller and change. Pipes are cleverly positioned so that no other action required. I got motor spitting water in 2 seconds after change. You have to keep pipe from strainer to impeller in correct position though else water escapes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	104191  
Old 25-06-2015, 05:36   #52

Quote:
Above waterline - removed pipe from it and no water comes out and it as open frozen. Has no useful function so will not bother changing it. I am physicist by profession and always look for better way to do things.

Hull at max point is around 70 cm under water. another 50 are mini keels. Propeller is around 60 cm below water line, maybe less. There is bit of cavitation in when beating but nothing out of ordinary. Even at large chop stern of boat is surprisingly little movement as it has large buoyancy.
Old 25-06-2015, 08:11   #53

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
I am talking about my frozen seacock in SD 50. See pic. I only undo impeller and change. Pipes are cleverly positioned so that no other action required. I got motor spitting water in 2 seconds after change. You have to keep pipe from strainer to impeller in correct position though else water escapes.
Is your raw water pump above the waterline?

If not, you have a potential to syphon water thru the strainer when opening the pump without closing a seacock.
Old 25-06-2015, 14:14   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Is your raw water pump above the waterline?

If not, you have a potential to syphon water thru the strainer when opening the pump without closing a seacock.
it is above water line. Pipe from strainer to impeller is long and reaches at middle below water line level. This allows seacock to be ignored when changing impeller.

Only when cleaning strainer is required to close. But that is not expected to be too often so will not bother fixing frozen seacock.
Old 25-06-2015, 14:50   #55
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This link might be helpful
http://hackingfamily.com/Cruise_Info...SailDrives.htm
Old 26-06-2015, 04:27   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
This link might be helpful
Sail Drives

i get that completely. but so far I am yet to detect any pressure immediately after turning off engines. When opening saildrive dipstick, oil goes out slowly like when milk boiling. No pressure. If pressure, there should be pop or oil bursting out.

All evidence I have so far, is that this setup is already built in SD 50 installation so nothing to do.

I verified that actually there is no water. Something was on the bottom of old oil saildrive bottle and I assumed is water. I have turned bottle around, left couple of days, and opened so whatever was at bottom came out. Seem only darker oil and no traces of water.

As taking out boat is 3k in sydney and new SD 60 is 5-6k, I will not take boat out to change seals except when due for service. Oil changes seem quite good temporary measure, when needed.

Tags
men, sail, saildrive, water, yanmar

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: