Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2008, 10:34   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Yanmar 30, SD20 and Props

On my 46ft. cold molded, Simpson designed cat I have 2 blade fixed props. I cannot find my spare props. The river is black as night, so I can't jump in, and read the prop size. I started with 17 inch, and have gone to 16 inch, but I can't find my receipt telling me the pitch. How do I figure out the pitch, or does someone know what they might be?
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 13:27   #2

Boat: Fountaine pajot, Belize 43
Hi there,

On my Belize 43 I have the same engine and saildrive. The size is 16" diameter and 12" pitch. Most probably what you have as well even if your cat is longer than mine.

Out of curiosity how did you loose the prop? I lost one in November last year and replaced it temporarily with a 16"x10" from a friends Mahe 36. Works OK but doesn't give me tha speed the correct prop does.

Hapy lead free sailin!
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 15:46   #3

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
I have SD31 drive's. I think our props are 17" x 14" and it is a 3 blade.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 05:06   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Thanks,

My first prop loss I believe came from running aground. The chart said 15ft, but as I creeped forward it kept getting more shallow. I was hoping it would open up, but instead it had silted in. It took me 15 - 20 minutes to squirm my way out. I think the prop must have spun itself loose.

Second time we hit a huge net, and caught the same prop while motoring into Nassau. 2 days later the prop fell off while sailing along. I was sitting on the strbrd stern watching the wakes, and I noticed no prop again.

We are getting ready to leave Jacksonville this Sunday, and I am searching for my extra 2 props, and I can't find them. We have moved from the boat to a house, and back to the boat, and this includes a storage room.

I statred with the 17 in props, but couldn't find them in the U.S., so I went with 16 in. Also in propullsions I started a thread about Boyen props. I found these laying in the bilge. I wonder why the P.O. didn't have them on? THANKS AGAIN........John
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:55   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman
My apologies to the forum in general for reviving this dormant thread but it is directly relevant to my questions below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Hi there,

On my Belize 43 I have the same engine and saildrive. The size is 16" diameter and 12" pitch. Most probably what you have as well even if your cat is longer than mine.

Out of curiosity how did you loose the prop? I lost one in November last year and replaced it temporarily with a 16"x10" from a friends Mahe 36. Works OK but doesn't give me tha speed the correct prop does.

Hapy lead free sailin!
Lucky,

My Belize 43 (hull 110) came from the factory with 16x11 props. Two years ago after one propellor fell off, I installed a replacement 16x10 since that was all the Yanmar dealer in Panama could get on short notice. Last haulout, I replaced both props with 16x12's from Lamb's Yacht Center in Jacksonville, FL. The service rep there said that was the correct size. Since then, as expected my engines work harder and move the boat faster for the same engine RPM. My owner's manual states that cruising speed is 2600 RPM but I have not pushed the engines to that speed with the new props, prefering instead to motor at about 2400 RPM.

My questions for you:
Are your 16x12 props original equipment?
If so, what does your owner's manual specify for cruising speed?

I am not overly concerned about ruining my engines since I plan to continue using 2400 RPM for my "new" cruising speed (Applying the rule of thumb of 200 RPM per inch of pitch mentioned elsewhere on this forum). I just would like to know what the correct propellor pitch is for my boat when I need to replace the propellors next time.
+++++++++++++

If anyone else can tell me the correct size props for a Belize 43 cat with Yanmar 3GMFC engines and SD20 saildrives, please chime in.
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:45   #6

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming Yachtsman View Post
If anyone else can tell me the correct size props for a Belize 43 cat with Yanmar 3GMFC engines and SD20 saildrives, please chime in.
Belize hull 91, 3GM30FC, SD20: 16x12 from the factory and still using that size. Flat water, 2700rpm, ~7kts (depending on load). I found that 2700rpm is the best bang for the fuel dollar, check the Yanmar performance charts.

I buy props from:
Admiral C&B Prop in Tampa, FL
Boat propellers, propeller repair, prop, props, propellers, prop shop, discount props, Tampa, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Tarpon Springs, Orlando, Gainesville, Ocala, shafts, underwater gear
Volvo part number 850342 (16x11) re-pitched to 12
Last one was ~$220

Tired of the Yanmar prop nut failing to hold? I haven't lost a prop since I went to this system. The the prop nut is castled and a hole in the center screw for either safety wire or drill it out larger for a cotter pin. You do have to be careful to use the correct size wrench (20mm). You can bend the castling fairly easy if the wrench doesn't fit correctly or using too much force.

Prop Nut:
Seahawk locking nut for Yanmar SD20 Saildrive
Frank & Jimmie's Propeller Shop in Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Welcome to Frank and Jimmie's Propeller Shop - Sales and Servicing all Underwater Gear - Complete Machine Shop. Since 1947 - FlashVersion 1.1
F&J part number MP14
$61/ea.

I hope this helps....
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar