Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2015, 19:56   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: wood props

lots of props at Stone Age Antiques in Miami Florida.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 01:33   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Go to Oshkosh sometime. Big time EAA fly-in in the US. Plenty of 3 bladed wood props on homebuilts.. It's not that big of a deal. Everything is glued and laminated together in the middle. That said, I don't think there are any FAA certified 3 bladed wood fixed pitch props. The FAA and the prop makers are not up to the burdens of getting something certified for so few planes. Getting a prop certified is a very big deal and there would be no money in it. So it's pretty much 2 bladed fixed pitch certified wood props these days. Very smooth, almost no vibration.
There are a bunch of variable pitch props with maybe 2,3,4 or even 5 wooden blades. Of course there is a metal hub with these, most are FAA certified.
I should add again, these are all laminated, Ash is popular.
I totally concur
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 21:28   #18
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

The late Darcy Whiting, an eminient NZ sailor lost his prop after a grounding going into Palmyra Atoll in 1974. A keen whittler he carved himself a new one from wood which lasted him the remainder of the season. It was later presented to the Akarana Yacht Club as an award for good seamanship. Recipients include Digby Taylor and Sir Peter Blake.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 22:19   #19

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
The late Darcy Whiting, an eminient NZ sailor lost his prop after a grounding going into Palmyra Atoll in 1974. A keen whittler he carved himself a new one from wood which lasted him the remainder of the season. It was later presented to the Akarana Yacht Club as an award for good seamanship. Recipients include Digby Taylor and Sir Peter Blake.

That is amazing. With all the advances in tech they have not improved the efficiency of a prop all that much from the beginning. In carving one, you would need to see the big picture, It is so 3d, amazing.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 22:37   #20

Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 00:56   #21

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Not only but also... after years of merchant ships clunking around at 10/15 knots with slow speed ( 100 rpm ) engines and 'traditional' 4 blade props we now see modern propellors that look a lot like those from 150 years ago.......
Old 01-08-2015, 01:21   #22

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
So you are another person who does not read the posts. I am not saying anything about putting a boat in gear. What's with you guys?
You have a REAL problem, don't you ? You got to this wooden prop tangent by way of the locked transmission thread, did you not ? And , by the way, 50 years ago I flew Float planes off of salt water, Cessna and Luscombe, so I know something about both marine and aircraft props. And just to contribute to your education, single surface, balanced props were used on surface piercing marine applications more than 50 years ago. I'm out.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:54   #23

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Does anyone fly a plane with the transmission in neutral?

(sarcasm)

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:10   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
You have a REAL problem, don't you ? You got to this wooden prop tangent by way of the locked transmission thread, did you not ? And , by the way, 50 years ago I flew Float planes off of salt water, Cessna and Luscombe, so I know something about both marine and aircraft props. And just to contribute to your education, single surface, balanced props were used on surface piercing marine applications more than 50 years ago. I'm out.
I can see you still have not bothered to read the whole in gear thread, oh well.
You mentioned a single blade boat prop? Tell us more about that.
Old 01-08-2015, 17:59   #25

Boat: Rinker 24

Heck with the crabbing about whether the transmission is locked or not, of your wooden prop pics this is the one I'm interested in and am wondering if you had any idea what it was bolted to:

Do you have any idea? The other 4 bladed prop you have pictured appears to be from an RAF FE8 like this one:

Which would also be interesting to fly but I suspect the first prop is earlier than that.

Is this enough of a thread hijack? No? OK I'll do a bit more then..

Out of curiosity I was doing some searching to see if I could find any single blade marine props. I'd never heard of any but who knows. Anyway, I haven't found any yet but I did happen across a picture of the Titanics sister ship Olympic that had lost a prop blade:

And here's an interesting story to go with it:

On 24 February 1912 Olympic suffered a further mishap. Homeward bound, off the Grand Banks, she struck an unidentified object and one of the bolt-on port propeller blades was broken of the propeller boss. She limped back to Britain, before again returning on 6 March to Belfast, which at that time had the only dry-dock big enough to take the White Star giants. The replacement propeller blade was again taken from Titanic. As a result of Olympic’s problems Titanic’s completion date was delayed. If this had not happened, Titanic would not have struck the iceberg. One side result of Olympic’s propeller problem was the production of the only set of photographs to be taken of the two sisters together.

Now what were we talking about again?
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 18:05   #26

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Does anyone fly a plane with the transmission in neutral?

(sarcasm)
Its all Zen.. totally clutched out...Comand A or B.. No trying just doing..
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 19:38   #27

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I don't know if this belongs here or in the joke thread.

When cruising Mexico 9 months of the year, most of us left boats in dry storage during hurricane season. We returned in October to prepare the boat for the next season.
As we met other cruisers returning, the typical conversation went like this:

"How was your flight?"

"It was horrible, we had to motor the whole way!"

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:25   #28

I like wood props. And wood spars too. Aluminum or seel can bend a number of times til it cracks, but there are 900 year old trees that sway back and forth in the wind for 900 years and are stgronger today than they were last week. Wood is good stuff for building things.

Andy

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:42   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellin View Post
I like wood props. And wood spars too. Aluminum or seel can bend a number of times til it cracks, but there are 900 year old trees that sway back and forth in the wind for 900 years and are stgronger today than they were last week. Wood is good stuff for building things.
Andy
If it didn't rot, it would be just about the best all around composite.