Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-06-2011, 21:54   #16
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: What transmission is this

You should have some kind of a shaft lock, home built or factory. Most home build shaft locks perform better than the factory units. I use the tractor hyd. oil from carquest. I also have an oil cooler intergrated into my keel cooler for the engine. Design specs. are it is best not to exceed 190 degrees F. for any period of time.

Old 21-06-2011, 22:33   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Yes it is definitely an old Velvet Drive. Again, the Borg Warner folks say its ok to let it free wheel. I'd monitor the temperature just to make certain it is within tolerances. I'm going with a folding prop on mine but used to let my old one free wheel. It was never a problem.
kind regards,

Old 22-06-2011, 09:19   #18

Location: Currently on the HARD in Guaymas Mexico and staying in Phoenix, AZ
Boat: Columbia 45

I like the simple rig I made because it will actually let the shaft turn without marring the shaft. It probably is a moot point since tee key is on the handle though.
Old 22-06-2011, 18:27   #19

Boat: Allied Mistress
I like the idea of a modified "strap" wrench.

The plan now of to change the hydraulic fluid - how is it best checked, static cold or running (neutral ).

Again thank you all did the great information and ideas.

Ed
Old 22-06-2011, 19:46   #20

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

Ed,
I wouldn't use any kind of a wrench to stop a free-wheeling prop shaft. Sounds like a good way to lose a few fingers or break a wrist. Just let it free-wheel.
RE: checking the ATF level. If you have an oil cooler, some of the ATF in the cooler may drain back into the tranny sump when the engine is in idle, giving a false indication of the ATF level. VD usually recommends that the ATF level be checked immediately after putting the engine in neutral and shutting it down.
In My Uniformed Option (IMUO)), that is not really necessary as long as the oil cooler is oriented such that the ports for the hoses are on the top of the cooler. if so the only ATF that will drain back into the tranny sump is that in the hoses. This should be within the tolerance for measuring the ATF level.

John
Old 23-06-2011, 13:22   #21

Boat: Allied Mistress
I looked at the Shaft Lok system, as an option along with a used auto prop advertise in CF. But until I haul this coming winter, I will continue to run the engine every 4 to 5 hours.
Old 23-06-2011, 16:10   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Procedure for checking the oil level from the service manual. "The oil level should be checked immediately after shutting off the engine and sufficient oil added to again bring the transmission oil level to the fulll mark on the dipstick assembly. The dipstick assembly need not be threaded into the case to determine the oil level. It need only be inserted into the case until the cap or plug rests on the surface surrounding the oil filler hole."
Old 02-07-2011, 02:18   #23

Boat: Usha, 48ft German Frers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn
Procedure for checking the oil level from the service manual. "The oil level should be checked immediately after shutting off the engine and sufficient oil added to again bring the transmission oil level to the fulll mark on the dipstick assembly. The dipstick assembly need not be threaded into the case to determine the oil level. It need only be inserted into the case until the cap or plug rests on the surface surrounding the oil filler hole."
Aye

Aye
Old 02-07-2011, 05:41   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI
Free wheeling BW VD's

I have been rebuilding Velvet Drives and other gears for almost 40 years. I know what the book says. Exactly what is "short term"?
Keep on letting them free wheel and you will be having your VD rebuilt in a "short term". Labor $375 + parts, could be up to $600.
In addition a free wheeling prop creates more drag than one that is locked. Why do you think multi engine airplanes lock a prop on a stopped engine? Less drag. Ask any serious sailboat racers why they have feathering or folding props.

On my Cal Cruising 46, which I have had since 1982, I have a Luke 22 x 22 feathering prop behind a Walters 3-1 redux vee drive and a BW VD 72C, Perkins 4-236. When sailing over 5 knots, the feathered prop will start freewheeling due to the 22" pitch. The original owner of my boat, Jack Jensen (Founder of Cal Boats), sailed her around the world. We have an engine room aft with plenty of room, so Jack had a large leather glove to stop the shaft and used a small pair of vise grips to attach to the output shaft coupling. A short piece of small line with a snap shackle is attached to the vise grips and this is attached to a bracket on the VD.

You must be careful!

I have my wife head up into the wind until we slow and the prop stops spinning, then I grab the shaft, hold it and attach the vise grips. Been doing this for 29 years of which 9 years were full time cruising.

I rebuilt the VD before we left SoCal in 1988. It now has almost 4,000 hours on it and works perfectly. I change the ATF annually or each 500 hours and always keep it topped off. Have someone stand by near the VD, shut off the engine and immediately check the dipstick before it drains back into the VD sump.

Tom Vandiver, Cal Cruising 46, SATORI, Hull # 3, Swallowed the anchor in Bayou Chico, FL

Tags
transmission

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: