Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2015, 08:40   #46
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: What Is This Called? Traditional Wheel Position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_nzl View Post
I'm in the process of buying a Mariner 32 that also has this worm steering gear setup.
what I would like to know is if there is any way of having an electric autopilot setup for this kind of wheel arrangement??
intergra drive,sprocket and chain drive to the end of the worm drive

see pg 36 in the link

http://www.lucky-wave.com/a_nautical...r/Steering.pdf
__________________

__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 08:40   #47
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,210
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: What Is This Called? Traditional Wheel Position?

Will let you know.. want a hydraulic AP for mine.. the biggest independent WP can't deal with 12 tonnes..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Enjoleuse_3.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	98890  
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 08:44   #48
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 5,780
Re: What Is This Called? Traditional Wheel Position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_nzl View Post
I'm in the process of buying a Mariner 32 that also has this worm steering gear setup.
what I would like to know is if there is any way of having an electric autopilot setup for this kind of wheel arrangement??

Yes, raymarine rotary drive, type I or II. It drives the wheel shaft through a chain and sprockets.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 11:11   #49
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,365
Re: What Is This Called? Traditional Wheel Position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_nzl View Post
I'm in the process of buying a Mariner 32 that also has this worm steering gear setup.
what I would like to know is if there is any way of having an electric autopilot setup for this kind of wheel arrangement??
I would imagine a belt drive would work fine on that.. maybe better than a cable drive rudder.
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 11:53   #50
Registered User
 
Boatyarddog's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Olympia, wa.
Boat: Mariner Ketch 32- 1979- hull 202
Posts: 632
Re: What Is This Called? Traditional Wheel Position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
I found a photo showing a Traditional Sailor and how he looks after spending a long time behind the Worm Gear Traditional Position wheel of his boat.

Funny, but you steer, mainly from the side.
And with Mariners, they are balanced well so you hardly have to steer at all.


Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
__________________
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 12:05   #51
Registered User
 
Boatyarddog's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Olympia, wa.
Boat: Mariner Ketch 32- 1979- hull 202
Posts: 632
Re: What Is This Called? Traditional Wheel Position?

Not sure what year, M32 you have.
Mine has a rack and beveled pinion gear, very simple.
Also accessed thru the cockpit locker, there a lot of room underneath for a hydraulic ram, or mechanical ram.
You may research this as it will be protected better and adds nothing to the cockpit area, as in chains, sprockets, belts or adaptation to align these components.
If your going on a long cruise Oceanside, use a self steering wind vane.
These boats track well.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1426442615.558928.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	98897
This is a 1979 M 32 ketch, #202


Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
__________________
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 14:04   #52
Registered User
 
Peter_nzl's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Totara North, New Zealand
Boat: Mariner 32 [1972 hull#49]
Posts: 7
Re: What Is This Called? Traditional Wheel Position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Not sure what year, M32 you have.
Mine has a rack and beveled pinion gear, very simple.
Also accessed thru the cockpit locker, there a lot of room underneath for a hydraulic ram, or mechanical ram.
You may research this as it will be protected better and adds nothing to the cockpit area, as in chains, sprockets, belts or adaptation to align these components.
If your going on a long cruise Oceanside, use a self steering wind vane.
These boats track well.Attachment 98897
This is a 1979 M 32 ketch, #202


Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Thanks guys :-)

Boatyarddog: she was built in 1972 hull #49. she has an old wind vane">Aries wind vane that is about 40 years old! not sure if it still works. good to know what options are out there :big grin:
__________________
"You get on a motor boat and go from A to B .. you get on a yacht and you're already there."
Peter_nzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 21:48   #53
Registered User
 
Boatyarddog's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Olympia, wa.
Boat: Mariner Ketch 32- 1979- hull 202
Posts: 632
Re: What Is This Called? Traditional Wheel Position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_nzl View Post
Thanks guys :-)

Boatyarddog: she was built in 1972 hull #49. she has an old Aries wind vane that is about 40 years old! not sure if it still works. good to know what options are out there :big grin:

That one was probably built by Far East Yachts, I assume your on The Owners Website.
Will look for pictures,
Mine was built in California, when C.Oberly took the business to America.
She's a Mariner, I've been diving in and doing the things that needed doing😕
She's is a Happier Vessel for he effort.
You have Wood Spars?
Mine came with, LaFiel, aluminum masts, I'm a little skittish about a lot of Wood.
I'm more of a Fabricator/Mechanic so those wood skills are still fledgling.
New Zealand is on my places to go list, top 5. 😊


Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
__________________
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 00:55   #54
Registered User
 
Peter_nzl's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Totara North, New Zealand
Boat: Mariner 32 [1972 hull#49]
Posts: 7
Re: What Is This Called? Traditional Wheel Position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
That one was probably built by Far East Yachts, I assume your on The Owners Website.
Will look for pictures,
Mine was built in California, when C.Oberly took the business to America.
She's a Mariner, I've been diving in and doing the things that needed doing😕
She's is a Happier Vessel for he effort.
You have Wood Spars?
Mine came with, LaFiel, aluminum masts, I'm a little skittish about a lot of Wood.
I'm more of a Fabricator/Mechanic so those wood skills are still fledgling.
New Zealand is on my places to go list, top 5. 😊


Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Yeah built by Far East in Japan. Yes she is on the Mariners assosation website, on the home page as "featured Mariner"! :-D .. I havnt updated the owners page, she is needing a full repaint, and other not to Major reapairs, she's already had the cabin replaced and decks repaired, which seams to be the biggest concern with the M32 ... No, she has aluminium masts :-) ... You should definitely find your way to nz... some of the best cruising in the world ;-)
__________________

__________________
Peter_nzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
wheel, cal

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: CPT Wheel Pilot w/wheel adaptor Jonathan Reiter Classifieds Archive 10 12-05-2013 16:49
For Sale: CPT Wheel Pilot w/wheel adaptor Jonathan Reiter Classifieds Archive 5 30-11-2012 09:47
Stacked V Berth vs Traditional Greenman Monohull Sailboats 6 09-03-2009 15:05
Traditional Navigation GordMay Pacific & South China Sea 0 11-08-2005 12:49



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:36.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.