Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2016, 19:00   #16

Boat: Corbin 39
Re: Weird Transmission Noises While Motorsailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Yes, it does help .

I must confess that until these last few days, marine cone clutch transmissions have not been an area of great understanding on my part. In the past, I have never had any transmission issues in the past and as the engine has less than 300 hours on it, I wasn't expecting any issues right now.

I'm hoping the problem is as suggested by yourself and others and not anything more serious but my cautious nature prevents me becoming too blasé until I get back to shore facilities - in a day or so!

I would of expected though the transmission could operate 24/7 without oil issues. I get the potential loading / unloading due to sea / wind conditions could cause cone clutch issues.

Assuming you replaced engine, was wondering if the torque of new engine is near that of old engine?
dmalcol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 22:43   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Weird Transmission Noises While Motorsailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmalcol1 View Post
Assuming you replaced engine, was wondering if the torque of new engine is near that of old engine?
Yes and no

Replaced engine, transmission, prop shaft, shaft bearings, PSS and prop all at the same time. All were sized around the 2GM20 and so are matched accordingly.
All have about 3000+ miles and 300 hours by now without issue so this is why I was alarmed when the weird noises occured right when I was in a remote area well away from shore support and safe anchorages.

Anyway, almost home now without further problems so I am quietly hoping it was only the loading of "opposite" torque cause by the lumpy seas / motorsailing as described by others earlier in the thread.

If so, this is my first exposure to this kind of cone slippage and perhaps I was too cautious in returning instead of pushing on but hindsight coupled with increased knowledge of how this Kanzaki transmission works is always 20/20.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing, transmission, sail, motor, noise