Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2013, 06:19   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARINE ENGINNER View Post

...so higher viscosity thicker the oil better film between the discs , they changed it because they had slippage problems bettwen the discs ,temperature of the atf oil was rising and the oil film between the discs was not thick enough.you cannot put thicker and thicker and more thicker oil you have to test it because you have built of presure in the saildrive and they tried to find the best oil for stopping the slippage and not bursting the seals

M.E
Yes, I've seen 90W gear box oil routinely put into sail drives (both Yanmars and Volvos)..which I've always assumed was a bad idea due to the viscosity for most models. Right?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 06:46   #17

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Volvo Saildrives - Type of Oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yes, I've seen 90W gear box oil routinely put into sail drives (both Yanmars and Volvos)..which I've always assumed was a bad idea due to the viscosity for most models. Right?
Our Volvo 120SE specifically calls for synthetic 90W gear oil and the manual specifically says not to use motor oil.

The 120SD calls for 15W40 motor oil. Go figure.

I finally found the reference material (attached). Note that this was published before Volvo changed the 130S recommendation from ATF to motor oil.

Mark
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Saildrive oil recommendation.pdf (259.2 KB, 265 views)

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 19:22   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Dufour 35 Classic

I have just spoken with Volvo ( Brisbane Australia) As I'm about to service
my sail Volvo drive 120SE. I have been told to not change to 15/40W and continue with the synthetic gear oil which has always been used. They did say if it was a 120 S then it would take 15/40W engine oil. Hope this helps
Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2023, 19:41   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell View Post
I have just spoken with Volvo ( Brisbane Australia) As I'm about to service
my sail Volvo drive 120SE. I have been told to not change to 15/40W and continue with the synthetic gear oil which has always been used. They did say if it was a 120 S then it would take 15/40W engine oil. Hope this helps
Are you still using 90W gear oil in your 120SE? I’m about to change it and you seem to be the only boy one with a straight answer! It sure LOOKS & FEELS like my 15w/40 motor oil. Not ATF for sure.
Thanks,
Drew
ALERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2023, 20:13   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisin Cat View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on the type of oil for Volvo saildrives.

I hauled out about 2 months ago and, amongst other jobs, replaced the oil in my 130S-B Volvo saildrives. Refilled with ATF as per the manual. Now the local volvo dealer has told me that volvo has changed the oil spec and I should be using 15W-40 engine oil in my sail drives....so looks like another haul out!

I just wanted to ask what oil others are using in their Volvo saildrives....has everyone changed over to 15W-40?

Barrie
It was quite a few years ago I was working as the service manager for a large charter company. We had a new FP 36 delivered to us on the US west coast--on her own bottom--from France. The engines arrived with well over 1000 hours on them.

Within a few weeks one of the saildrives catastrophically faied. The local Volvo dealer inspected the units and denied the warrantee claim because they were full of oil, not ATF as specified in the manual.

A circular firing squad resulted of my service staff (who had not yet touched the units), the delivery crew, the boat owner, and the FP factory all blaming each other. We finally agreed to split the cost of new saildrives four ways, and call it good. ANYTHING to keep lawyers from getting involved.

Fast forward 4 months. A service bulletin from Volvo. Do NOT use ATF in these saildrives only use motor oil. We appealed the warrantee denial, and were denied again.

It still leaves a bad taste in my mouth every time somebody says "Volvo"
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
volvo