Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2014, 11:30   #1

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Volvo Saildrive won't go in Gear

Hi all, I had an odd occurrence this morning with our saildrive. Coming in a channel I put us in neutral to coast around a corner and toward where we were going to tie up for coming storms. When I went to engage the transmission nothing happened either direction. Right now I'm pondering the cone situations this era of drive has a reputation for.

What I can say is the cable functions as expected, oil is clean and at appropriate level and matches the engine per VP. To my knowledge we didn't hit anything, no weird noises or fast shifts or shifts above idle. It doesn't engage when shifted by hand at the drive either. We always sailed in neutral. You don't even hear it trying to engage. I'm not able to check the prop at this point to see if it free wheels. I'm not keen sending someone into the water where we are (fresh water).

Can anyone advise any other tests to do? Can the cones be replaced in the water if that is the issue? I do have a service manual for this drive (110s) so I'd prefer to do this myself if possible.

Thanks!
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 15:20   #2

Re: Volvo Saildrive won't go in Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
Hi all, I had an odd occurrence this morning with our saildrive. Coming in a channel I put us in neutral to coast around a corner and toward where we were going to tie up for coming storms. When I went to engage the transmission nothing happened either direction. Right now I'm pondering the cone situations this era of drive has a reputation for.

What I can say is the cable functions as expected, oil is clean and at appropriate level and matches the engine per VP. To my knowledge we didn't hit anything, no weird noises or fast shifts or shifts above idle. It doesn't engage when shifted by hand at the drive either. We always sailed in neutral. You don't even hear it trying to engage. I'm not able to check the prop at this point to see if it free wheels. I'm not keen sending someone into the water where we are (fresh water).

Can anyone advise any other tests to do? Can the cones be replaced in the water if that is the issue? I do have a service manual for this drive (110s) so I'd prefer to do this myself if possible.

Thanks!
SC

And it's not the cone clutch. We had to have hit something and lost the prop. Lots of debris in the area from heavy storms.
SC
Old 08-07-2014, 15:28   #3

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

Even though you've posted the normal information for such a problem, there has to be more to this puzzle.

What type of oil are you putting into this pre-synthetic oil transmission?
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 15:40   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
And it's not the cone clutch. We had to have hit something and lost the prop. Lots of debris in the area from heavy storms.
SC
I'm confused - you know for sure now it is not the cone clutch? How?

Since the cone clutch usually gives lots of warning before going completely, and typically fails in only one direction, let's say it is OK.

That leaves you with a couple of other things to look at. The first is the prop hub. You didn't say which prop you have, but if it is the Volvo folding prop, they are hubbed. If you hit something or wrapped it, you may have torn the hub and it is spinning free.

Of course, I am assuming you still have a prop on it - you seem to suggest that it may have fallen off. I guess that would be the first thing to look at!

Another thing that would give similar symptoms is the damper plate. Volvo uses a rubber hub there also, and if that is torn, it would not turn the drive shaft when in gear.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 17:39   #5

Hi Mark yes she sheered off the prop and hub assembly. I'm still trying to puzzle through the details. We are in very very muddy water and have had a set of storms roll through. I didn't want to risk a diver in that environment so I started working through a list in my head. Checking one end to the other. It honestly seemed a remote possibility of losing the prop but somehow it happened. My best guess is we found some debris that was submerged. No one heard anything but who knows. I have no idea what kind of force it takes to to lose the hub assembly.

As far as I know the clutch is fine and hasn't shown any sign of failure. I assume it is pretty obvious. This is my first saildrive so I'm still learning the quirks.

I'm going to schedule a lift out go inspect the damage. You can't see your hand in front of your mask right now so going all by feel.

SC

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 08-07-2014, 17:46   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

When you say "Prop & Hub" you aren't talking about the output shaft are you?

You mean the entire prop assembly, right?

What kind of prop was it?

I have seen people install folding and feathering props incorrectly so that the "locking" feature of the prop nut was compromised.

We had a guy here lose his prop in the channel. He was motoring at the time, hit the GPS waypoint button as he realized immediately what it might be. They sent a diver out and he found it!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 17:55   #7

Yes prop assembly. The prop was fixed and very straight forward. Now to see what sort of replacements I can find so I'm not stuck tied up too long. The shaft feels intact but hard to say. I honestly can't see my own fingers in front of my mask. It's a wall of dark stirred up water.

Old 08-07-2014, 18:06   #8

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

If you lost a fixed prop, then they are inexpensive to buy and very easy to replace in the water. For $200 and 10 minutes in the water you will be good to go.

Of course, you will want to understand why it fell off - those are usually pretty fool-proof and rugged compared to the folding ones.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 18:20   #9

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

If this is a Volvo sail drive and the prop came off it's a fairly common problem. The prop is held on by a cone and a bolt into the shaft. I have routinely seen them come loose, put the boat in reverse and they spin off and drop off. The bolts are single use with a special lock tight on them. If the bolt backs out then you will loose the cone and prop first time you back up. Put a diver in that knows the system, I could tell by feel what you have going on.
Jay
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 19:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjay View Post
If this is a Volvo sail drive and the prop came off it's a fairly common problem. The prop is held on by a cone and a bolt into the shaft. I have routinely seen them come loose, put the boat in reverse and they spin off and drop off. The bolts are single use with a special lock tight on them. If the bolt backs out then you will loose the cone and prop first time you back up. Put a diver in that knows the system, I could tell by feel what you have going on.
Jay

Plausible theory Jay thanks. It wasn't our first reverse since the anode was changed and I believe it was actually forward where we lost it but who knows if it was working loose in the interim. I haven't found any local parts so will have to order and wait for delivery. Not a good common problem to have but manageable. Not sure what was on the locking bolt but it was a blue substance perhaps Loctite type substance but not certain. I did look it over before we launched and it seemed solid. Lesson learned.
SC

Old 09-07-2014, 10:46   #11

Any suggestions out there for a good replacement prop? VP's selection is slim and I'm debating a change.
SC

Old 04-09-2014, 13:38   #12

Volvo part 821381265. $254.15. General propeller. Just got one,,,,also need cone kit. $75 or so

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum Rick
cntrycuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 05:51   #13

Boat: S2 11.0a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntrycuz View Post
Volvo part 821381265. $254.15. General propeller. Just got one,,,,also need cone kit. $75 or so

Correction - the prop part number is 21381265 (no "8" at the start) and is a 15 x 13, 3 blade fixed

The cone kit part number is 850396

I know because my propeller just fell off in the ICW! Ugh. This the size recommended by General Propeller for my 1981 S2 11.0a, with a MD17C 35 HP engine and saildrive 110S.

When you loose the prop, there is no indication that the shifter is doing anything at all - like the engine is no longer connected to the transmission.

I checked my shifter linkage, etc, and all looked good. Then I attached a GoPro to my boat hook and had a look at the prop ... nothing but shaft! Damn.
RobinScurr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear, sail, saildrive, volvo