Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2014, 23:35   #16

Re: Volvo Penta MSB

my email, janmozina@yahoo.com

barnakiel: i am not MSB expert, but from experience i would say that a high pitched whining/hissing sound is from bearing wear, specially if the sound gets higher when going faster.
jan_mozina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 23:43   #17

Boat: Martzcraft, 35ft sloop

That's a bummer, Grant...I sympathise.

I also have been stung trying to keep these old relics going. I paid around $8000 over a 6 month period to a dodgy diesel mechanic to get my MD17D/MS2 working, only to eventually chuck it out (or rather keep it for spares). I then bought a secondhand MD17D and had it freighted 1000 km from Brisbane to Sydney, only to find it was not an MD17D...it was an MD17C with an MSB tranny! This transmission does not fit my boat so I had to swap tranny's over, that's why I have a spare MSB.

The reason the MSB does not fit my boat is that the drive is not angled down 7 degrees, like the MS2 is.
Belovula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:04   #18

Belovula, No need to feel sorry for me. I have come up with a good combination of basic engine and tranny, and a whole lot of spare parts. I was really lamenting the fact that I got wrong (I think) advice from a shop that is supposed to be the experts on Volvos. It is hard enough keeping the old Green Demons working without the problem of not being sure of the professional advice you get. I just keep trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 19:04   #19

I need a Volvo MSB , Is the gearbox still available ?
Thanks
dsbalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 13:34   #20

Boat: a sailing boat

You can buy two online cannibalize one to get one.

You can buy some parts online deck slosh new too. But I think the housing is out of stock.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 18:48   #21

Boat: Cascade 36

I have an MSB that was attached to a MD2B. Pulled it out of the boat in April.

Jeff
479-616-2511
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:11   #22

Hi all:

I need a Volvo MSB gear box for my MD11C. If somebody has a used one, please tell me.

Thanks.
Mdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:31   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan_mozina View Post
my email, janmozina@yahoo.com

barnakiel: i am not MSB expert, but from experience i would say that a high pitched whining/hissing sound is from bearing wear, specially if the sound gets higher when going faster.
Doh.

Ok. Then why is the sound only in reverse?

b.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:00   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdie View Post
Hi all:

I need a Volvo MSB gear box for my MD11C. If somebody has a used one, please tell me.

Thanks.
If you can't find it locally, look up Danish website udkik. There in the 'for sale' section I have seen Md7, MSB and other goodies for sale. They come and go. One can place a "wanted" post there too.

Adlist - www.udkik.dk

b.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:33   #25

Thanks Barnakiel, but by now this site shows internal error when I click on every item of the submenus. Anyway I will set an eye on it looking for MSB gearbox.

S!
Mdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:03   #26

Whew, lots of info in this thread....Here's a bit more about the MS and MSB transmissions:

The transmission started life as the MS, with a bronze shift cone and steel gear cups patterned on the very successful shift mechanism found in the VP sterndrive of the era. Later changes resulted in the MSB transmission with a steel shift cone and friction marterial lined gear cups.

The engines that they were used on:
MD2B, MD3B, MD5(all versions), MB10(gasoline engine), MD6, MD7(except last version which had the MS2 gear), MD11&17(except the last versions which had MS2 gears)

They were available in 1:1 and 1.91:1 ratio. Walters Machine even had an adapter which connected to the RV10 v drive to make a close coupled v drive.

Care is necessary if swapping units between the MD6/7 and MD 11/17 engines because the front casting is different between the two families. The MD6/7 casting had the input shaft in the center of the housing, and the MD11/17 casting had the input shaft offset in the housing, as seen in the foto attached to this thread.

The power flow within the transmission is basically co-axiel, with the input and output shafts almost in a straight line. (Slight drop center on the 1.91:1) In forward gear the power flows straight thru the box, but in reverse gear the power flows from the input shaft, across two idler shafts, and back to the output shaft. These idler gears are the cause of gear whine in reverse gear. The idler gear shafts ride in needle bearings, and a bad bearing could cause even more noise.

The design requires a LH propeller rotation.

Hope this is helpful.
DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:07   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post

(...)

but in reverse gear the power flows from the input shaft, across two idler shafts, and back to the output shaft. These idler gears are the cause of gear whine in reverse gear. The idler gear shafts ride in needle bearings, and a bad bearing could cause even more noise.
Doug,

This is exactly the info I am after! (Yes, we have an MSB here).

Does this imply the noise in reverse is there all time or is it there only when/if there is any bad bearing on the idlers?

We have the noise. Not getting any worse over last 10 years or so ...

I actually like the noise to be there as our gears handle is working athwartships and so I get immediate audio confirmation of having moved the handle the desired (or not) way.

Thank for sharing your knowledge. Priceless!

barnakiel
Old 06-05-2015, 07:26   #28

The idler gears are straight cut (as opposed to helical) and this makes them particularly noisy. They are spinning all the time that the engine is running, but they are only carrying any load when you shift into reverse. That's why you don't hear them in neutral or forward gear.

The gear noise in reverse is there all the time, regardless of whether there is a bearing problem or not. If it has been the same for 10 years, I rather doubt you have anything wrong.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:14   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
The idler gears are straight cut (as opposed to helical) and this makes them particularly noisy. They are spinning all the time that the engine is running, but they are only carrying any load when you shift into reverse. That's why you don't hear them in neutral or forward gear.

The gear noise in reverse is there all the time, regardless of whether there is a bearing problem or not. If it has been the same for 10 years, I rather doubt you have anything wrong.

DougR
!!!

Man, I owe you.

I have been looking for this piece of information for years!

Thank you!

Here a link possibly posted before, of use to whoever can afford new parts to fix an older transmission:

Volvo Penta Exploded view / schematic Reverse Gear: 834360 - MarinePartsEurope.com

PLS note that there are other executions - just click the website one level up for them.

Big hug to all MSB slaves and lovers,
barnakiel
Old 06-05-2015, 13:28   #30
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 36

Hey,

Transmission on my md7 is completely dry. Any ideas?
Someone mentioned a drain plug? Can't see any!

Thanks,
Michael

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
michaeltayar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penta, volvo