Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2014, 12:56   #16

Boat: Beneteau 361
Re: Volvo dripless shaft seal blowby problem

Well, step one is to try to push enough grease into the seal, hopefully behind both the inner and outer seals, to stop the inflow, hopefully this weekend. I'd like to find something more functional than a McD's straw, but I'm not sure what would fit in there without harming the seal or shaft.

I will definitely post a resolution.
Old 25-02-2014, 14:16   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

We have a volvo seal and have just replaced it after 5 years. Engine mountings dropped and the seal wore slightly on one side giving a leak under engine, although water tight under sail. Since it wouldn't ever get better a change was the only answer especially as the seals are only £75.

Don't pump too much grease in, the seal needs water to keep cool. If it is leaking there is a reason and I would suggest it's at the end of its life, normally 7 years or so depending on use and water quality. Silty water will shorten its life.

If you can lift the boat at a sensible price do so because that gives you the time to check the engine mountings and the alignment of the shaft in the stern tube when you remove the old seal.

The additional water feed does nothing for the Volvo seal and I suspect it was fitted in case one of the other types of seal was to be fitted.

The Volvo seal is a brilliant bit of kit for the price, yours is just at the end of its life.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 15:30   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Something to check before following Irish Ramblers advise on removing the coupling from the shaft.
I have a Bene, and removed the coupling two years ago to replace the shaft seal (I have a Vetus seal on mine).
The coupling is secured to the shaft by a bolt which threads into the end of the shaft. You cannot see the bolt, but after disconnecting the coupling from the gear box side, slide the shaft aft a couple of inches, and you can feel the bolt head inside the coupling.
Bit of bother this as you have to somehow lock the shaft to stop it rotating while removing the bolt.
Did mine with the boat on the hard, and used a length of baulk of timber wedged under the prop to keep the shaft from turning.
If you are in the water, put a couple of bolts back in the coupling flange, place a spanner over one bolt with the shank of the spanner jammed under the second bolt to prevent the shaft turning. This is a lot easier with two pairs of hands.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 17:32   #19

Boat: Beneteau First 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
PPS the tip about spraying the coupler with your unstick-em lube of choice can never CAUSE any problems... only good things...
I have read (no direct experience, thank goodness) that if you're sloppy with some unstick-em concoctions, such as PB Blaster, it will eat the transmission rear seal and cause a pretty significant problem.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 12:54   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy stone View Post
I have read (no direct experience, thank goodness) that if you're sloppy with some unstick-em concoctions, such as PB Blaster, it will eat the transmission rear seal and cause a pretty significant problem.
I had no idea that the folks down in Slidell were so consciously awares.... Sofisticated rednek eh????

You make one helluva point SS... I have heard the same thing... My post should read....

PPS the tip about spraying the coupler with your unstick-em lube of choice can never CAUSE any problems... only good things... BUT keep that shizzit away from your non metallic components! You doesn't want anything to prematurely age your rubbers!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shaft seal, volvo