Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2012, 09:53   #1

pirate VOLVO DIESEL D55 HOUR LOG

Hi my hour log on my Volvo motor only works occasionally. It is a digital readout on the Tach. 90% of the time I cannot read it and occasionally it shows up. Any ideas?
ralfreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 11:18   #2

Boat: Amel Santorin 46ft
Re: VOLVO DIESEL D55 HOUR LOG

Had a similar problem with a Perkins Hour Clock dying, so I just bought a cheap sealed analog clock from China for a few euros and wired it up to the ignition. It situated in the Saloon and works a treat. It was the easiest and cheapest option.
Regards Joe
joemac4sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 11:36   #3

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Re: VOLVO DIESEL D55 HOUR LOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfreds View Post
Hi my hour log on my Volvo motor only works occasionally. It is a digital readout on the Tach. 90% of the time I cannot read it and occasionally it shows up. Any ideas?
Hi Ralfreds,

Welcome aboard CF!

Is this a D2-55 with a 150S sail-drive you're talking about?

If the display is clean (i.e. no broken LCD sectors etc) when it does display the engine hours in LCD display on the tachometer, then it could be worth checking to fuse-box at the other end.

If I remember rightly, it'll be located on the upper right-hand limb of the block (looking aft) below the Volvo sign - most of the electrical/instrument connections to the engine terminate in that box - you may have a corroded, cracked or detacted terminal there.. worth having a look!

In addition, the tachometer cable connection is on the back of the alternator (looking aft) that may well have the detacted/corroded/cracked problem too!

This will be obvious if, when the display returns, the engine hours have increased since it went off (but you've still run the engine for some hours): then you have a display problem and not an instrumentation problem.

The only other obvious option, other than a cracked cable, is a dry/racked solder in the techometer unit itself (on the LCD display legs) - if you have a soldering iron and a magnifying glass this is easy to check for and repair.

As the engine is the bit which is vibrating when on, it's more likely to be something at the fuse-box end of the instrument cables!

Good luck,

Phil
Cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, volvo