Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2014, 17:59   #16
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Velox Plus prop antifoul paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
For that quantification, we should ask the local diver. I'm sure he'll be along shortly.
I'd never even heard of the product before reading this thread. So I can offer no anecdotes about it's effectiveness.
fstbttms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 18:06   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
On the wax thing, I believe it's a re-apply everytime you dive the boat thing.
Not according to the folks who suggested it to me. More of an every three month or so schedule. Of course, in some areas, that's similar to the dive sched, so maybe so...

Jim
Old 28-11-2014, 20:11   #18

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Well you somehow got better results from BB than I did, but I would say the times I've used it it worked enough for its' price.
i didn't have good luck the first year...but the second year I used an entire can on the prop (like 5+ coats) and it seemed to like thicker coating.

Now it is just a matter of cleaning the surface, and applying half a can/season when it is hauled out...so the budget is about 10 bucks a year. I think the effectiveness is based more on the application than the product itself.
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:54   #19

Boat: X-Yachts Xc-50

Hi,
I used Velox Plus last summer season in the Med. I painted the propeller with the recommended primer (of green color) and then 3 coats of Velox Plus antifouling (of white color).
The boat stayed in the water for 4 months, with sporadic use. After 4 months, the paint was still covering must of propeller surface, but a lot of fouling had attached to the paint. My conclusion is that this antifouling paint has very good adhesion to the propeller, but it is not the best for the type of water and vegetation of my home port. The regular antifouling paint I put on the hull (Jotun megayacht) scored much better (it is exceptionally well for my conditions).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5205_sm.jpg
Views:	2895
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	92635   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5206_sm.jpg
Views:	2849
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	92636  

bikesherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 20:26   #20

Boat: Adams 35ft, round bilge steel, SV Saaremaa

I applied 3 coats of the white topcoat of velox plus over the green undercoat in November 2014. So far it is still looking good here in Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia. I hope it holds up for 12-15 months.
Previously I have used propspeed (effective but expensive) and peller clean (ineffective and expensive).
Good luck and a clean prop to others
Michael
Old 22-02-2015, 05:16   #21

When we were in a Greek yard when we saw the Greek fishermen putting this on their props and figured it must be good for them to be using such an expensive product.

First attempt...my wife applied it and after 5 months in the water there were obviously adhesion issues...but where the paint stuck was actually good results.

Second attempt...by chance we hauled the boat 5 months after first atempt, so we tried it again. The 14 months in the Med we had very good results, we've been in the Caribbean a few months now and have had some barnacles, but think this is due to the polluted lagoon we are in. We will be using it again. The difference between our first application and second was my wife's prep, turns out the surface needs to be quite rough for good adherance, second attempt we sanded with 600 sand paper prior to applying the primer.

robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 13:01   #22

Its good to see that Robert Sailor is getting good results and it is all down to the application and then using the boat.
I followed the instructions that I downloaded from the USA website of PYI Inc on Velox Plus application. Here it states that the surface has to be rough, ie use 80 grit sand paper and thoroughly clean, ie wipe down 4 times with acetone using clean rags each time and do not touch with bare fingers. This should ensure no grease is on the shaft and the green primer should stick ready for 2 or 3 coats of the white antifoul.
I hope others get better results than Bikesherpa.
Michael
Old 04-03-2016, 23:59   #23

Velox Plus Results.
Well here we are 15 months down the track since I applied Velox Plus to my prop and shaft and I am sorry to report that the news is not good. The paint adhered well to the prop and shaft but the barnacles adhered well to the Velox Plus. Not what I was hoping for. I may just as well have applied a hard antifoul paint and got the same result at lower cost.
I cannot recommend Velox Plus to anyone. I have still got 2 500ml cans of the topcoat and the 500 ml primer there would be only 50 ml gone from the primer and 100 ml from one of the topcoat cans if anyone is interested in giving it a go for themselves. I wasted A$350 on this kit (fools and there money are soon parted) I think this sounds like me!!?? Oh well an expensive lesson.
Michael
Old 05-03-2016, 08:02   #24
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Velox is NOT an antifouling. The issue is that copper based antifoulings cause corrosion when applied to running gear. This leaves you with only the less effective options to consider, if you care about corrosion of your running gear. Propspeed works best, but costs by far the most. Velox is a good mid range solution, if used properly. It is not designed to antifoul, so much as to make the divers job easier. If you just let it sit neglected and let barnacles grow to full size, yes you will get fouling. You need a regular dive schedule for your running gear, regardless. Other options include barrier coating your running gear and then applying a traditional copper based antifoul, so the copper coating is not in contact with SS. Very expensive but effective. For those who wish to spend less and know what to expect, Velox can be an excellent alternative. I would certainly not recommend anyone consider painting a copper based antifoul directly onto their running gear.

I often apply Interspeed 5640 myself. It is a copper free antifouling which is actually effective. Unfortunately for the average user, it is an industrial grade material and can only be bought in five gallon buckets, if you can source it. Works great on running gear with no corrosion issues, excellent adhesion, sprays nice. Also an excellent product for alloy boats, for the same reasons.

http://www.international-marine.com/...eed5640PIC.pdf

Read the Velox lit, and you will see their primary selling point is galvanic isolation to prevent corrosion damage to your running gear. I see a great deal of this on boats with hot, high copper content bottom paints. But not on boats with Velox. It's antifouling capability is strictly zinc-based. It won't do much unless you use the running gear often, and/or have a regular dive schedule. But anyone who has ever had to replace expensive running gear like a Max Prop due to corrosion loves it.

http://www.antifoulingpaint.net/

Also all the divers I talk to love it. A bright white hard teflon coating on your running gear is nice for them. And, it actually works fairly well keeping running gear clean on power boats which are frequently used. If the boat sits at the dock long enough unused, barnacles will grow large enough to get a good grip. As long as it is used weekly, particularly at the high RPM's of a powerboat, it stays pretty clean.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:46   #25

Quote:
Velox is NOT an antifouling. The issue is that copper based antifoulings cause corrosion when applied to running gear. This leaves you with only the less effective options to consider, if you care about corrosion of your running gear. Propspeed works best, but costs by far the most. Velox is a good mid range solution, if used properly. It is not designed to antifoul, so much as to make the divers job easier. If you just let it sit neglected and let barnacles grow to full size, yes you will get fouling. You need a regular dive schedule for your running gear, regardless. Other options include barrier coating your running gear and then applying a traditional copper based antifoul, so the copper coating is not in contact with SS. Very expensive but effective. For those who wish to spend less and know what to expect, Velox can be an excellent alternative. I would certainly not recommend anyone consider painting a copper based antifoul directly onto their running gear.

I often apply Interspeed 5640 myself. It is a copper free antifouling which is actually effective. Unfortunately for the average user, it is an industrial grade material and can only be bought in five gallon buckets, if you can source it. Works great on running gear with no corrosion issues, excellent adhesion, sprays nice. Also an excellent product for alloy boats, for the same reasons.

http://www.international-marine.com/...eed5640PIC.pdf

Read the Velox lit, and you will see their primary selling point is galvanic isolation to prevent corrosion damage to your running gear. I see a great deal of this on boats with hot, high copper content bottom paints. But not on boats with Velox. It's antifouling capability is strictly zinc-based. It won't do much unless you use the running gear often, and/or have a regular dive schedule. But anyone who has ever had to replace expensive running gear like a Max Prop due to corrosion loves it.

Velox | Velox Plus Antifouling Paint From PYI Inc.

Also all the divers I talk to love it. A bright white hard teflon coating on your running gear is nice for them. And, it actually works fairly well keeping running gear clean on power boats which are frequently used. If the boat sits at the dock long enough unused, barnacles will grow large enough to get a good grip. As long as it is used weekly, particularly at the high RPM's of a powerboat, it stays pretty clean.
Oh dear silly me! I thought a product advertised as "Velox Plus Antifouling for propellors" would keep the 'greeblies' off my prop and shaft without requiring a regular rub down by a diver. Nowhere in the 'lit' does it say that regular scrubbing/wiping is required. If this is needed to keep the prop clean then Velox Plus would be more expensive than Propspeed.
Perhaps Velox Plus manufacturers/suppliers are in 'cahoots' with professional divers to gain a bit more lucre!?? Just joking.
In the Pacific Northwest, USA where water temperatures are cooler Velox Plus may work well but in the warmer waters of the NSW, Australian coast it does not.
Hence Velox Plus is 'crap/rubbish for the job it purports to do in my waters.
It looks like it is back to the Propspeed for this little bunny.
I have had no previous issues with corrosion of the stainless shaft or bronze prop since these are protected by a shaft anode. As stated in an earlier post I found Pellerclean ineffective and a hard Al based antifoul also ineffective at preventing barnacles. Propspeed worked but costs A$160 for a coating after I have prepared the prop myself. I was hoping that the Velox PLus would be cheaper over the longer term but no!
Rant over.
If anyone in the Newcastle, NSW, Australia area would like to give Velox Plus a go PM me. The boat is up on the hard for another week at Marmong Cove Marina, Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia.
Cheers
Michael
Old 15-03-2019, 06:41   #26

Boat: X-Yachts, Xc45,45 feet
Send a message via Skype™ to ErikLP

Quote:
We use the hell out of Velox in the yard, have finished dozens of props with it. Not as good as propspeed, but better than most. Extra bonus- a white prop is easier for the diver to clean well.
Thank you for your recommendation. We are sailing in the Med, and have been using Velox for a couple of years. I find it very effective n the areas on the prop where it stays on. I use the type with the green base layer, and a second layer on top applied to a Flex-o-fold propeller. However, I am having difficulty in making it last for a season. It seems to wear off quite quickly.
At first I thought it was because the propeller was not degreased carefully enough for the base layer to stay on. However, last year I was very careful with both the prep with a sander, and subsequent degreasing. Yet, again I was not impressed with the products ability to stay on the prop. Any advice you would care to share?
ErikLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 06:58   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Having bought a spare secondhand prop from e bay, I was astonished to find the previous owner had polished it to a mirror finish before I collected it. Didn't have the heart to tell him I was going to hand sand it with 80 grit for the Velox.

Two props makes life easier as I can paint one in my shed taking time between coats and control the temperature, then just swop them over.

Sticks pretty well this way. A little fouling of weed at the end of the year which comes off if you give it a burst of revs whilst alongside a pontoon.

Erik, I wonder if you sanded it rough enough? I found by hand really did the trick, power tools tended to leave a smoother surface.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 11:12   #28

Thanks. I will try doing it by hand this year with a pretty course sandpaper.
Old 15-03-2019, 13:32   #29

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Orana 44

I've just coated my 3-Blade folding VP props on our cat with Velox system - used 80 grit on a palm sander to get a roughened surface profile, then one coat of Velox primer, then four coats of white Velox AF. We go back into the water on 01 April and will be cruising the east coast and possibly into Canada this spring and summer, so will have Atlantic Ocean, Chesapeake Bay, Long Island Sound and North Atlantic waters having a crack at them.
In the past, I have use PropSpeed (very expensive and tricky to apply) - that lasted about one year with almost zero growth, then started to depart the props. In the next haul out, just for the heck of it, I used regular Micron Extra AF (that I had just applied to the hulls) - that lasted about four hours worth of motoring before I had bare metal. I hadn't really expected to hold up and it met my expectations...
The last haul out I tried Turtle wax - yup, car wax - six coats, hand applied and buffed. That actually lasted about 18 months, granted that I always dive the props when stopped and give them a 3M abrasive pad wipe.
I'll let you know my experience with Velox - at about one fifth the price of PropSpeed, I thought it worth the try.
pstadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 05:34   #30

Thanks. I will give it another shot, and (even though it hurts) I will use even more corse grinding of the prop prior to applying. Let's see how this goes. Erk

Tags
paint