Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2011, 08:11   #1

Transmission - Hurth HBW10 - Case Sealing Question

I have my transmission apart. Upon disassembly there was no seal or sealant between the two halves of the case. it goes against my best judgement to reassemble with out any sealant, but it had none to start, I am leaning toward assembling it the way I found it.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Regards
Greg
gregdettmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 09:43   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Transmission - Hurth HBW10 - Case Sealing Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdettmer View Post
I have my transmission apart. Upon disassembly there was no seal or sealant between the two halves of the case. it goes against my best judgement to reassemble with out any sealant, but it had none to start, I am leaning toward assembling it the way I found it.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Regards
Greg
I am 99% sure that it was assembled with an Anaerobic Gasket Maker like this one: http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...ket_makers.htm

This stuff only cures in the absence of oxygen, so you squeeze almost everything from the flanges during assembly. When you take it apart years later, it looks like nothing is there. I discovered this when servicing the gearbox of my Maxwell windlass.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 00:16   #3

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I use that to seal Porsche engine case halves. It stays nice & wet for a couple of hours to allow for assembly and becomes a hard plastic when deprived of air as described by the Jedi. The stuff that goops out of the sides wipes up easily. Loctite 574 is another, and Wurth makes one that is the same also but now I use the Volvo stuff because I get 4 times as much for the same money. That way it's inexpensive enough that I can use it on some of the more leak prone paper gaskets on these engines and transmissions and deliver leak-free rather than not very leaky parts.
It's tough to clean off after assembly but it's way easier than fixing oil leaks for free.
Don't use a lot, just enough for a thin coat on one side. It's made for precisely finished flanges so they must be very clean and smooth.
Volvo's number is 1161059. It's called Chemical Gasket, High Temperature in translated Swedish.
It even smells good.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 00:21   #4

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I wouldn't hesitate to use it in your situation, When it's properly applied it isn't thick enough to change the tolerences between the parts much at all. We machine the case bores with the case halves torqued together without any sealant and then we assemble the engine with the sealant and the bores stay round and perfect, not anything that we need to account for.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:09   #5

I assemled my HBW10 without sealant as this is the way it is assembled. No leaks yet one year later. Be sure to hand tighten all bolts first then 1/4 turn with wrench, check ease of shaft rotation, shift from rev to fwd a few times, then tighten to torge specs, remember this is aluminum don't over tighten. Make sure you fill it with ATF oil and to check oil level rest the dip stick on the opening, do not thread it on then off to check. Oil qty. is .44 Qts. Good luck.
captjim6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurth, transmission