Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2019, 08:46   #1

To "Lock" or not to "Lock" SD50 Props

The YANMAR bulletin YEU-MB107 states that Folding/Feathering props can be locked in Reverse.
This is a broad statement, and does not apply to all folding/feathering propeller design/configurations.
My BRUNTON AUTO PROPS rotate (slowly) while sailing in both Neutral and Reverse, and has to be in FWD to stop the rotation.

What YANMAR does not mention is the position of the Gear Selector to ensure a positive "lock" of the prop.

The Gear Selector should be just off the Neutral position (in the approx 15deg) plane, BEFORE the Selector starts moving horizontally outward/away into the retracted "rest" position.
With the Selector in the "rest" position, the Shifter has retracted from the V Groove in the Drive Cone, allowing the Drive Cone to rotate, causing wear/glazing to the Cone Surfaces.

I have over 1500Hrs on my 2010 SD50 Drives following this procedure, and with the Thrust Bearing and Taperlock UPGRADE KIT installed. There are currently over 160 boats/Upgrade Kits in operation.

Contact me on; saildrives@yahoo.com

if you need more info on the UPGRADE KIT for the SD40 and SD50 Saildrive.
Panache5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 09:21   #2

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch
Re: To "Lock" or not to "Lock" SD50 Props

You mean to lock the propeller, the shift lever should only be moved about 15 degrees from neutral?
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 09:52   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panache5000 View Post
The YANMAR bulletin YEU-MB107 states that Folding/Feathering props can be locked in Reverse.
This is a broad statement, and does not apply to all folding/feathering propeller design/configurations.
My BRUNTON AUTO PROPS rotate (slowly) while sailing in both Neutral and Reverse, and has to be in FWD to stop the rotation.

What YANMAR does not mention is the position of the Gear Selector to ensure a positive "lock" of the prop.

The Gear Selector should be just off the Neutral position (in the approx 15deg) plane, BEFORE the Selector starts moving horizontally outward/away into the retracted "rest" position.
With the Selector in the "rest" position, the Shifter has retracted from the V Groove in the Drive Cone, allowing the Drive Cone to rotate, causing wear/glazing to the Cone Surfaces.

I have over 1500Hrs on my 2010 SD50 Drives following this procedure, and with the Thrust Bearing and Taperlock UPGRADE KIT installed. There are currently over 160 boats/Upgrade Kits in operation.

Contact me on; saildrives@yahoo.com

if you need more info on the UPGRADE KIT for the SD40 and SD50 Saildrive.
These posts seem like they are getting rather close to soliciting commercial business under the guise of advice...
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 06:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
You mean to lock the propeller, the shift lever should only be moved about 15 degrees from neutral?

The approx 15Deg refers to the position of the SELECTOR (on the side of the Saildrive), and NOT to the Throttle/Gear lever at the helm.

I observed the correct (15Deg) position at the Saildrive. and marked the corresponding position of the lever at the helm.

Trust this helps.

Gideon
Old 19-05-2019, 06:22   #5

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Yes, helps. Thank you for the info.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 09:33   #6

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Is 15 degrees the normal position for fully engaged? I move the (combined) throttle/shifter to reverse to stop the Autoprop then to full throttle forward to get the handle out of the way. No descernable rotation doing this. If I go straight to forward the prop will spin so have to do reverse first to stop it. Seems once it stops then stays feathered in forward.

Bill
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:09   #7

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409

What YANMAR does not mention is the position of the Gear Selector to ensure a positive "lock" of the prop. "
I don't really understand the "advice". Is the prop not locked if the selector is fully in reverse?
Srah 1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:31   #8

Wen moving the Throttle lever to Full Forward, the Shifter inside the Gear Selector on the saildrive retracts away from the Drive Cone, and may allow the Drive Cone to start rotating. This causes damage/glazing to the Drive Cone and Cone Cups.
By only moving the Throttle lever (15Deg), it ensures that the Shifter is still in full contact with the Drive Cone. Hope this makes sense.
PS. I marked the Throttle Lever position at the Helm station to correspond with the (15Deg) Shifter contact position.
Old 10-06-2019, 16:40   #9

I think y'all may be overthinking this a tad. I've sailed on boats without folding props. Its very apparent from the transmission noise when they're spinning as you're sailing. If you hear that noise with your folding props, they're not folding and you move your throttle until noise stops, at which point you know they folded. They are made to fold with a minimum of pressure, they physically can't remain unfolded if the prop isn't spinning and you're going faster than about 2 knots unless you've got some other issues going on. I recently hauled my boat and the props had both folded from the guys pulling the boat about 20' down the dock by the mooring lines after I shut down and left the throttles in neutral, they don't want to stay out and no extreme or precise measures should be needed to get them to fold!
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 14:45   #10

Hi Rob.

What you say is true for folding props. However, the issue is with fixed props, or props (like my Brunton Auto Prop) that do not fold, and still rotate, even in Neutral. The problem is that unless these props are positively locked, with the Selector in the approx 15deg position, the prop will force the Drive Cone to slowly rotate inside the Cone Cup, causing Wear and Glazing to the Cone components.

Tags
sd50