Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2011, 15:01   #16

Boat: Catalina 42
Re: stuffing box packing

Paul,
Thanks for the advice re: shaft alignment. I looked at the shaft while it was turning in the slip, and to "eyeball", it seems to be pretty well aligned, but your point is a good one. Since I just repacked it, I'll watch it closely and see.
Pete
PetenSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 15:04   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Quote:
I looked at the shaft while it was turning in the slip, and to "eyeball", it seems to be pretty well aligned, but your point is a good one. Since I just repacked it, I'll watch it closely and see.
Eyeballs are not really the same. If you could see it out of alignment it would really be very very bad.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 15:11   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have teflon in my ericson and is good, so far--and i am still packing my formosa--flanged unit was never packed on installation--so far has flax--i will have gore added.....and see what happens. cannot get any worse than what i already have...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 15:36   #19

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetenSuz View Post
Chuck,
It's good to hear that you have liked the Gore packing, but I think it is also "Teflon", which is PTFE or Polytetrafluoroethylene, which has also been patented by Gore as Gore-Tex.
Pete
This is quite different than your traditional Teflon packing. Some additional info here.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 19:26   #20

Boat: Moody 42
I may be wrong but I didn't think Gore Tex was PTFE. May have some in it though. Teflon is DuPont trademark for PTFE. They invented the compound.
Sailorman375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 00:20   #21

Boat: Moody 42
I was incorrect. Gore Tex is indeed PTFE
Sailorman375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:00   #22

Boat: PETERSON 44
Thanks everyone. Ask a simple question get lots of different but good answers. I am pretty sure my current packing is old fashion flax. It's worked well so I will stick with it. I think that getting the installation right is the key to all of these products. Factors beyond the product quality probably have a bit of play. I like a little drip from the box. Yes the bilge pump will run every once and a bit. I actually worry if I don't hear the bilge pump come on once and a bit. I check the box while underway cruising if I'm motoring a bit. Then when I put the boat away check again.. I have easy access to it. If I didn't I would probably go dripless. I found this article which I thought was a good explanation of some issues that have been mentioned here. And a good guide to packing the box.http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box&page=2. Yes the shaft is 1 1/4" thanks for catching that error. I almost ordered 1"zinc too you saved me from aggravating myself.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:23   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
This is quite different than your traditional Teflon packing. Some additional info here.
Thanks very much for the link. Cleared up my understanding a bit!
Pete
Old 01-07-2011, 09:45   #24

If you are 1 1/4 shaft then likely 5/16 packing. Still better to buy one of each! Has your boat sat alot while for sale etc? More often than not I have found corrosion on the shaft inside the stuffing box where you cant see it. If possible it would be good to unlink the coupling and pull the shaft far enough out to see the situation. When boats sit without being used, the shaft is in an anerobic environment inside the packing and corrodes quite readily if it's stainless steel. One of mine actually looked like little worms ate tracks in there! I fixed this once by removing the shaft and having an inch and a half cut off the end and rekeyed..... but you have to have enough spare length outside the hull to make this work!

My traditional flax packing had lasted only about 50 hours or so on the shaft, and then water was flowing as a continuous stream from the stuffing box. My guess is it was packed improperly, the wrong size packing or the corrosion mentioned above...? (did you retighten after running a few hours?)
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:01   #25

My traditional flax packing had lasted only about 50 hours or so on the shaft, and then water was flowing as a continuous stream from the stuffing box. My guess is it was packed improperly, the wrong size packing or the corrosion mentioned above...? (did you retighten after running a few hours?)[/QUOTE]

Probably packed improperly. Also, the boat was on the hard for a while, and then trucked about 1000 miles overland. The shaft, however, looked pretty clean and smooth when I got the stuffing box apart. Not corroded. My guess is that a corroded shaft would greatly increase the friction factor. I'm going to keep a closer eye on it, and adjust to drip counts when the shaft is turning.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:44   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
We used the Gore packing material for years and put thousands of miles on it. I would never go back to the old packing materials. Teflon is not one of my favorites. Chuck
Gore “GFO” packing is a PTFE (Teflon), Graphite, & Silicone product.
GORE® GFO® Packing

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote