Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2017, 07:54   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA
Posts: 326
Stuffing box leak.

Repacked, was looked fine.
But when engine running, dripping starts.(in neutral).
So repack did not work? And what is the next?
__________________

__________________
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 09:32   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,634
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Stuffing box leak.

how fast it dripping? if flowing like mississippi river thru nola, you may need new cutlass bearing and stuffing box. replaceable via haulout. if only a little drip while engine running, monitor it
__________________

zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 09:51   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA
Posts: 326
Re: Stuffing box leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
how fast it dripping? if flowing like mississippi river thru nola, you may need new cutlass bearing and stuffing box. replaceable via haulout. if only a little drip while engine running, monitor it


Thank you,
It is about every 5 second while engine running.
Replaced cutlass bearing last year while bottom painting.
Maybe replace to drip less seal.
__________________
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 09:53   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
JohnEasley's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2016
Location: Palmetto, FL
Boat: "Yacht-a Yacht-a" -- 1986 Chris Craft 42' Catalina 426 Aft Cabin
Posts: 342
Images: 2
Re: Stuffing box leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_757 View Post
Repacked, was looked fine.
But when engine running, dripping starts.(in neutral).
So repack did not work? And what is the next?
It's possible they just need to be adjusted a little more. Seems uncommon for someone to repack a stuffing box and get it set exactly right the first time. Loosen the lock ring and tighten it a quarter turn. Retighten the lock ring and test it again. Or get a mechanic to help you with it. I'd try this before hauling it out.
__________________
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 09:59   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,152
Re: Stuffing box leak.

Drip every 5 seconds isn't to bad. Were you able to inspect the shaft at any time? Many boats that sit unused corrode inside the stuffing box if a SS shaft. Repacking wont help, new shaft needed.
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 10:05   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Fiji Airways/ Lake Ontario
Boat: Want a B430!
Posts: 766
Images: 2
Re: Stuffing box leak.

What material did you use?

How do you know it fully encircled the shaft? Was there overlap?

How tight is it? Have you done this yourself before?
__________________
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 10:07   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA
Posts: 326
Re: Stuffing box leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Drip every 5 seconds isn't to bad. Were you able to inspect the shaft at any time? Many boats that sit unused corrode inside the stuffing box if a SS shaft. Repacking wont help, new shaft needed.


The mechanic did not say anything when he did the job, said everything fine other than one of my bilge hose.
I will ask him again thanks.
I hope shaft is ok.
__________________
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 10:08   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA
Posts: 326
Re: Stuffing box leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEasley View Post
It's possible they just need to be adjusted a little more. Seems uncommon for someone to repack a stuffing box and get it set exactly right the first time. Loosen the lock ring and tighten it a quarter turn. Retighten the lock ring and test it again. Or get a mechanic to help you with it. I'd try this before hauling it out.


Thanks, I will ask my mechanic to check with it.
__________________
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 10:09   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA
Posts: 326
Re: Stuffing box leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Drip every 5 seconds isn't to bad. Were you able to inspect the shaft at any time? Many boats that sit unused corrode inside the stuffing box if a SS shaft. Repacking wont help, new shaft needed.


Every 5 second is not bad with engine running neutral?
__________________
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 10:19   #10
Senior Cruiser
 
Scot McPherson's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Shoreline, CT and Portmouth Harbor
Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner
Posts: 631
Re: Stuffing box leak.

once per 5 seconds while engine running (vibration) isn't so bad. There are two times when rate of drip is important.
1) When the engine is not running, you should be dripping once or twice per minute
2) when the shaft is turning. you want to ensure that water isn't fanning out with the spinning of the shaft. If it's still just dripping, then its fine...If the water is getting thrown, then you need to reduce the amount of water coming through.


The stuff box should be stuffed with 3 or 4 layers of flax (if you used flax), and the flax needs to be perfectly seated. You don't want any gaps end to end for each ring, nor do you want overlap. And you should stagger the ends so that they are 120 degrees apart from one another from one ring to the next so the water doesn't have a straight shot through the stuffing.


Tighten down on the stuffing a little. Sometimes as the flax moistens, it can be tightened down a little more.


Test the tightness while underway. If you are running full turns and the stuffing box feels hot enough that it's uncomfortable to touch, then your stuffing may be too tight and may harm your shaft. If the stuffing box is cool to the touch after running full turns for several minutes, then you probably have a lot more tightness you can add to to it.
__________________
Captain Scot, 100 Ton Master, w/Sailing and Towing
Daring Kids to be Exceptional
http://americanseafarers.us
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 10:38   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA
Posts: 326
Re: Stuffing box leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot McPherson View Post
once per 5 seconds while engine running (vibration) isn't so bad. There are two times when rate of drip is important.
1) When the engine is not running, you should be dripping once or twice per minute
2) when the shaft is turning. you want to ensure that water isn't fanning out with the spinning of the shaft. If it's still just dripping, then its fine...If the water is getting thrown, then you need to reduce the amount of water coming through.


The stuff box should be stuffed with 3 or 4 layers of flax (if you used flax), and the flax needs to be perfectly seated. You don't want any gaps end to end for each ring, nor do you want overlap. And you should stagger the ends so that they are 120 degrees apart from one another from one ring to the next so the water doesn't have a straight shot through the stuffing.


Tighten down on the stuffing a little. Sometimes as the flax moistens, it can be tightened down a little more.


Test the tightness while underway. If you are running full turns and the stuffing box feels hot enough that it's uncomfortable to touch, then your stuffing may be too tight and may harm your shaft. If the stuffing box is cool to the touch after running full turns for several minutes, then you probably have a lot more tightness you can add to to it.


Thank you,
Basically, almost no dripping (means 1-2 drips per minutes)when engine is not running, neither during shaft turning, no sprinkled neither.
I will talk to my mechanics tomorrow morning.
Thanks again,
__________________
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 12:01   #12
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.
 
CSY Man's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Boat: Between boats, taking a break.
Posts: 3,380
Images: 114
Re: Stuffing box leak.

I used virtuallly drip-less packing, then coated it with Teflon on the inside.
Tightened until it stopped leaking, then checked while running during cruise
Power.
If the metal got warm to the touch, I backed off. It it leaked a drop 6 months later I tightened and checked temperature and so on.
Used the same packing for 10 years with adjustments once or twice a year and no leaks, no drops and no drips. Best thing since sliced bread.
I always had good cutlass bearings, changed every other haulout, no slack allowed and no vibration: Had new shaft installed and prop computer balanced and adjusted.
Very smooth running and no drips or leaks.

Here is the link to the above packing:
http://gfopacking.com/
__________________
Life is sexually transmitted
www.odincharters.com
www.susanhanssen.com
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 12:09   #13
Registered User
 
Stu Jackson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cowichan Bay, BC (Maple Bay Marina)
Posts: 6,268
Re: Stuffing box leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_757 View Post
Thank you,
Basically, almost no dripping (means 1-2 drips per minutes)when engine is not running, neither during shaft turning, no sprinkled neither.
I will talk to my mechanics tomorrow morning.
Thanks again,
No need to talk to the mechanic, you're done. Just check it monthly.

All of the "dripless" are NOT really NO drip. You NEED a few to keep it lubricated. Even the instructions with the flax say that.
__________________
Stu Jackson
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 12:29   #14
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 16,472
Re: Stuffing box leak.

Yes, it's drip less, not dripless.
__________________
a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 12:48   #15
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hampton Roads
Boat: 1974 Bristol 27
Posts: 3,334
Re: Stuffing box leak.

If it's an old style stuffing box, it's suppose to leak when the drive shaft is turning

Servicing Your Stuffing Box by Don Casey - BoatTECH - BoatUS

From the article above:

Adjusting
Water is required to lubricate conventional packing, so a properly adjusted stuffing box can be watertight when the shaft is stopped, but it must drip when the shaft is turning. Two or three drops per minute are adequate.
It is not uncommon to see stuffing boxes leak at a much higher rate.
__________________

__________________
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing stuffing box stuffing in water palm trees Propellers & Drive Systems 28 30-04-2015 09:50
Stuffing Box Leak gypsyvagabond Propellers & Drive Systems 2 16-12-2014 03:20
Stuffing box shaft leak? Dstejps37 General Sailing Forum 1 26-01-2013 22:27
Is my stuffing box stuffing stuffed? resilientg Propellers & Drive Systems 8 01-08-2012 06:03
Stuffing box or re-stuffing the box / dripless Dave in Eugene General Sailing Forum 10 28-12-2007 15:45



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:01.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.