Meh, no big deal. Webster's defines "play" as movement within prescribed limits.
Drilled holes about an inch apart around the top of the strut sized for the taper of the syringe and injected maple syrup consistency epoxy
under as much pressure as I could apply. Had epoxy
come out of a couple of adjacent holes.
No more clearance, no more play. Problem solved
. You can shake the strut and feel the whole boat wiggle in the jack stands.
Will go back again for a second round today to make sure I didn't miss any voids as well as throw a fillet at the bottom of the strut for extra credit but would feel confident about the fix without the second pass or the fillet.
For what it's worth I believe that a "strut log" was installed during lay-up similar to a rudder
log or shaft log and that the strut was then through bolted to the strut log before being glassed over. I think this strut log is what is visible on the outside. Didn't see any epoxy run out on the bottom fwit.
Yeah, coulda gone full nuclear as some suggested and incurred lost
time and effort but glad I didn't. Thanks for all the input from those with experience dealing with this specific situation.