Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2014, 06:36   #31
Moderator
 
Pete7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solent, England
Boat: Moody 31
Posts: 11,240
Images: 14
Re: Service Volvo Dripless Shaft Seal - Stuffing Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusDreaming View Post
I use a "Lubriplate" grease, with a west system hypodermic like syringe. Just stick it under the lip and give it a squeeze
https://www.lubriplate.com/Online-St...0-oz-tube.aspx
I use a straw from MacDonalds.

Pete
__________________

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:39   #32
Moderator
 
Pete7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solent, England
Boat: Moody 31
Posts: 11,240
Images: 14
Re: Service Volvo Dripless Shaft Seal - Stuffing Box

The picture ErikFinn posted in June showing a vent tube isn't part of the volvo seal. Probably left over from a previous but different type of seal.

Pete
__________________

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:16   #33
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,828
Images: 25
Re: Service Volvo Dripless Shaft Seal - Stuffing Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I use a straw from MacDonalds.

Pete

Thats more fattening. Especially if it's Supersized.




__________________
Notes on a Circumnavigation.
OurLifeAtSea.com

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 18:56   #34
Registered User
 
ErikFinn's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Malaysia, Thailand
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430
Posts: 861
Re: Service Volvo Dripless Shaft Seal - Stuffing Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
The picture ErikFinn posted in June showing a vent tube isn't part of the volvo seal. Probably left over from a previous but different type of seal.

Pete
Hehe thank you Sir!
After nearly 16 months I finally get my answer
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 08:39   #35
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5
Re: Service Volvo Dripless Shaft Seal - Stuffing Box

Hi all. Has anyone changed these seals while the boat is in the water or underway - under sail? Would love to carry a spare and do this if necessary. My Volvo seal is on a 38s5 Ben. First and has a hose leading to above waterline drain from the rear of the seal housing.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
calbergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 06:15   #36
Registered User
 
ErikFinn's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Malaysia, Thailand
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430
Posts: 861
Re: Service Volvo Dripless Shaft Seal - Stuffing Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbergen View Post
Hi all. Has anyone changed these seals while the boat is in the water or underway - under sail? Would love to carry a spare and do this if necessary. My Volvo seal is on a 38s5 Ben. First and has a hose leading to above waterline drain from the rear of the seal housing.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I think I have seen a video here about that. You should try the search. Can you post a pic about your described "hose leading to above waterline drain from the rear of the seal housing" I'd be very interested to see if its similar to mine; some posts back.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 07:22   #37
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 57
Re: Service Volvo Dripless Shaft Seal - Stuffing Box

Hello All!

I stumbled upon this thread trying to figure out what maintenance is needed on my Volvo dripless shaft seals. (See my setup in the picture attached)

I will admit that I did not know about burping them... have put several hundred hours on... is there a way to check to see if they are damaged and in need of replacement? If they do need to be replaced, must the boat be out of the water? Does the shaft have to be disconnected from the transmission and then everything realigned after?

Also, can someone please explain more clearly how to inject grease with a straw? I am assuming this must be done while the boat is out of the water? A youtube video would be great if anyone has found one please do share!

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	volvo shaft seal.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	413.7 KB
ID:	183925  
mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 07:45   #38
Moderator
 
Pete7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solent, England
Boat: Moody 31
Posts: 11,240
Images: 14
Re: Service Volvo Dripless Shaft Seal - Stuffing Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post
I will admit that I did not know about burping them... have put several hundred hours on... is there a way to check to see if they are damaged and in need of replacement? If they do need to be replaced, must the boat be out of the water? Does the shaft have to be disconnected from the transmission and then everything realigned after?

Also, can someone please explain more clearly how to inject grease with a straw? I am assuming this must be done while the boat is out of the water? A youtube video would be great if anyone has found one please do share!

Thank you!
Well they start to leak if they are worn out, so if yours doesn't then burp it and add some grease. I have gone back to using Volvo grease rather than a tin I had on board. Its thicker and seems to last better. I had a drip with the thinner stuff on board. I cut the corner off the grease capsule and push the straw in so there is about two sugar cubes size of grease in the straw. Then stuff the straw in the seal (gearbox end) and squash the grease along the straw to inject it into the seal. The two lip seals you are trying to grease are about 3/4" inside the seal. You won't get all the grease in hence needing two cubes of grease and hope one will lube the seals.

To replace the seal, the shaft has to be freed from the gearbox to enable the old seal to be slid along the shaft and removed, then the new seal fitted. So whilst this could be done in the water, I prefer to dry out and do it. Alignment of the shaft shouldn't be a problem afterwards, but if you have a rope cutter fitted that could be a problem if you are in the water depending on type.

The Volvo steel clip needs a bit of a fight to fit.

There is a red lip protector clip in the box, to fit whilst sliding the new seal along the shaft, don't loose it.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 07:49   #39
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 57
Re: Service Volvo Dripless Shaft Seal - Stuffing Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Well they start to leak if they are worn out, so if yours doesn't then burp it and add some grease. I have gone back to using Volvo grease rather than a tin I had on board. Its thicker and seems to last better. I had a drip with the thinner stuff on board. I cut the corner off the grease capsule and push the straw in so there is about two sugar cubes size of grease in the straw. Then stuff the straw in the seal (gearbox end) and squash the grease along the straw to inject it into the seal. The two lip seals you are trying to grease are about 3/4" inside the seal. You won't get all the grease in hence needing two cubes of grease and hope one will lube the seals.

To replace the seal, the shaft has to be freed from the gearbox to enable the old seal to be slid along the shaft and removed, then the new seal fitted. So whilst this could be done in the water, I prefer to dry out and do it. Alignment of the shaft shouldn't be a problem afterwards, but if you have a rope cutter fitted that could be a problem if you are in the water depending on type.

The Volvo steel clip needs a bit of a fight to fit.

There is a red lip protector clip in the box, to fit whilst sliding the new seal along the shaft, don't loose it.

Pete
Thank you. I think I understand the straw method now. Someone mentioned not inserting too far as you only want to penetrate the first not second seal... is there a way to visually confirm, or go by feel, or a certain amount of straw to stick in? I don't want to break anything.

Also, do you have a part # on the volvo grease? Thank you!!!
mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 08:21   #40
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 57
Re: Service Volvo Dripless Shaft Seal - Stuffing Box

I found part # 828250 for the grease... is that correct? Thanks!
mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:10   #41
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Uk Rye
Boat: Moody 44’ ketch
Posts: 35
Re: Service Volvo Dripless Shaft Seal - Stuffing Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbendaly View Post
Hi mark

I have the same seal in my ALOA 27
great piece of equipment virtually maintenance free
I have attached a document that may help
cheers


I know it was a long time ago. But you just saved me a lot of time/effort. It was the 36mm dimension i had been searching for. Thanks from the future
__________________

Malabarista is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
shaft seal, volvo

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shaft Seal/Stuffing Box Adjustment WindEnsemble Construction, Maintenance & Refit 3 06-04-2010 15:16
PSS Dripless Stuffing Box Leaks! AaronJ Propellers & Drive Systems 22 12-03-2010 13:51
Dripless Shaft Seal Portobello Construction, Maintenance & Refit 3 25-05-2009 15:24
Dripless shaft seal. irwinsailor Construction, Maintenance & Refit 30 28-01-2008 06:53
Stuffing box or re-stuffing the box / dripless Dave in Eugene General Sailing Forum 10 28-12-2007 15:45



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:03.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.