Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2007, 04:46   #1

Boat: Beneteau 393 PedrasI
Saildrive rusted

I'm afraid with the anod consumption on my Volvo saildrive. i whose forced to change anodes every 2months. i have instalded a Galvanic isolator but the anodes cunsuption still very Hight. If same sailor could giver-me same advise we apreciate.
Regards

SAADAII ( Cascais/ Portugal Mrina)
Bleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 04:58   #2
cruiser

How is the saildrive bonded to the rest of your system? Are you in a marina that might have a lot of current?

As a temporary fix, until you are able to figure things out, try getting one of these and attaching it to the saildrive while it's sitting at the marina:

West Marine: Zinc Grouper Anode Product Display

Then, you must figure out where the current is coming from, which might involve the use of a meter and reporting some of the finding here.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 05:04   #3

TKS. last wekend i connected one to my Saildrive. meanetime Could be because my new Bronze Max-prop propeller?
Old 29-01-2007, 06:44   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
The Volvo saildrive is designed to be electrically isolated from the engine by a dielectric gasket. Check to make sure this is still the case by testing with an ohm meter connected between the engine block and the saildrive. Also make sure that nothing is electrically bonded to the saildrive or nothing is bonding the engine with the saildrive. I also think there is supposed to be electrical isolation supplied by bushings and gaskets between the propeller and saildrive case. I'm not positive about this though.

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 11:35   #5

Boat: Lotus 10.6
I have a new Volvo saildrive and 30hp motor with a volvo 3 bladed folding prop. The main anode next to the saildrive has lasted 6 months and still looks ok. the three allen key on anodes that screw into the prop only last about 4 months. they were paper thin after 5 months.
Will have to do some checks but reckon it is the alloy boat that has sat next to me without any maintenance for years.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 12:27   #6

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Bleck,
You may be able to help out the harder-to-fit bolted on anodes by dangling a wire connected anode off the side(s) of your yacht and wire each back to the saildrive. You obviously remove these when you get underway........
We used these first when we owned an alloy yacht which parked alongside steel mooring piles created a huge current that chomped through the fixed anodes at an alarming rate. As the costs are minimal, we've continued since on GRP boats.
They certainly do degrade themselves over a period, but IMHO appear to extend the life of the anodes on the saildrive and prop at the same time.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 30-01-2007, 03:06   #7

Hi John
TKS for your help. When you go WEST and if decided to stop-over in any Marina in Portugal please advise. It is fany to find same body that born in the same month and year.
Regards
Carlos
Old 05-02-2007, 03:21   #8

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Carlos,
We've already visited most Portuguese Marinas down Atlantic coast more than once - including Cascais. Loved the hospitality shown each time.
We are likely to visit Lagos again around end August 07 but suspect it will only be a short stoppover prior to heading for Canary Islands.
But keep in touch - who knows it may be possible to share a beer.
JOHN
Old 05-02-2007, 04:06   #9

I will be by end of August07 on Albufeira Marina between VilaMoura and Portimão, but only on weekend's. I found onather fanny coincidence that our Wife's ara also from April.
regards
Carlos
Old 05-02-2007, 14:05   #10

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I hesitate to correct your English, when, considering it is your second language, you speak it well. Nevertheless, I feel obliged to point out that you really should use "funny", not "fanny" in the context above. For what it is worth, to an American, "fanny" refers to the backside, butt, rear-end or posterior. To an englishman, "fanny" refers to a ladie's genitals...
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 18:47   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
True Scotsman...

Now a true scotsman would never confuse a laddie with a lady...
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 18:52   #12

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Hey Weyalan
wots "ladie's" in english????
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
saildrive