Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 13:59   #16
Senior Cruiser
 
SkiprJohn's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kea'au, Big Island, Hawaii
Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Posts: 14,192
Re: Replacement Engine

Your boat probably came with an Atomic 4 gas engine. If I were you, I'd shop around for a used Yanmar 2 cylinder that has some life left in it. But that's just me being cheap again.
kind regards,
__________________

__________________
John
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 14:07   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 929
Re: Replacement Engine

Beta Beta Beta if you do re-power. But it sounds like the outboard, then the rebuild are the most cost-effective paths.

If you call Beta they'll get you a quote and an honest, experienced opinion on power needed for your displacement.
__________________

__________________
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 16:27   #18
Marine Service Provider
 
FLLCatsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 452
Atomic... BOOM... I would avoid an atomic like I avoid syphilis...
__________________
FLLCatsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 16:58   #19
Registered User
 
rubyjean's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
Boat: Haida 26
Posts: 502
Images: 2
Re: Replacement Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLLCatsailor View Post
Atomic... BOOM... I would avoid an atomic like I avoid syphilis...

You must already have it, cause it makes you crazy. When is the last case of A4 boom you've heard of............ Michael...
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 17:32   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ontario canada
Boat: grampian 26
Posts: 1,743
Re: Replacement Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivionboyj View Post
I have decided to go ahead an buy the engine that came out of my boat (the one I mentioned that was torn down for rebuild that will cost $150).

The engine is an Atomic 4...
Universal Atomic 4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The seller also turned me on to a parts and service source (which is is incidentally in my neck of the woods)...
Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Engine Rebuilding and Parts

The only item missing from the engine is a thermostadt, which will be a $37 item.
The seller says I will need to have the cylinder resleeved, but otherwise this engine is repairable.
My research is telling me that resleeving will cost around $150.
If we assume my time is worth nothing (which we will for the purposes of this discussion) I may be able to overhaul this engine for under $1000.
This is clearly going to be my lest expensive option.
If you decide against using the A4 after an overhaul you could sell on in and put the money into an updated diesel.
I don,t know why some here are turning their noses up at the Atomic 4. In their heyday they were one of the most popular engines in smaller sailboats and there are plenty of them still out there.
Surely a testament to their longevity and build quality.
__________________
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 23:23   #21
Marine Service Provider
 
FLLCatsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyjean View Post

You must already have it, cause it makes you crazy. When is the last case of A4 boom you've heard of............ Michael...
I just hate gas engines on a boat, unless it is an outboard... I won't deliver a boat with a gas engine...
__________________
FLLCatsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 23:50   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post

I don,t know why some here are turning their noses up at the Atomic 4. In their heyday they were one of the most popular engines in smaller sailboats and there are plenty of them still out there.
Surely a testament to their longevity and build quality.
In their heyday they were popular because there weren't any competitive diesel options. This changed drastically during the 70s and especially 80s.

Here's my problem with gas engines and I've ha a few in boats:
A) dangerous fuel that is easily combustible
B) a lot of electronic items (distributor, ignition, etc) are needed for it to run. Electronics and a damp environment don't mix.
C) more susceptible to problems relating to moisture content and temperature

I could go on and on but were it me I'd put the $$$ into an older Isuzu or Yanmar.
__________________
SeattleYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 00:44   #23
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: Replacement Engine

One question which has not been asked...What type of sailing are you doing. Maybe an outboard is just fine. A friend of mine left his engine out and converted the area to a double birth.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 21:49   #24
Registered User
 
oblivionboyj's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Coastal Connecticut
Boat: Westsail 32
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
One question which has not been asked...What type of sailing are you doing. Maybe an outboard is just fine. A friend of mine left his engine out and converted the area to a double birth.
Coastal cruising is on the menu. I'm not sure how far we will be able to reach out so long as I have to work, but I'm also trying to think long term.
Not just how I will use this boat this year, but what will I want it to do in 10 years.
__________________
oblivionboyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 22:05   #25
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Replacement Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivionboyj View Post
Coastal cruising is on the menu. I'm not sure how far we will be able to reach out so long as I have to work, but I'm also trying to think long term.
Not just how I will use this boat this year, but what will I want it to do in 10 years.

If you choose to stay with the outboard, you can still upgrade to a diesel later.

Personally I would want to nudge you agaist a used diesel. People don't give them up because of minor problems. They're workhorses that are actually hard to kill.

I have friends who had their engine go sour just about when mine did. They chose first to get a rebuilt used engine.

It lasted less than a year. They bit the bullet and put in a new diesel.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 22:32   #26
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: Replacement Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivionboyj View Post
Coastal cruising is on the menu. I'm not sure how far we will be able to reach out so long as I have to work, but I'm also trying to think long term.
Not just how I will use this boat this year, but what will I want it to do in 10 years.
Long term is a loaded statement. I would live in the now and run what you brung, so to speak. Enjoy the boat...work...save money and who knows...You and yours may want a different boat to spread your wings on.
If you dump a ton of money in your 8.7, it is doubtful any of it would be recouped.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:37   #27
Registered User
 
oblivionboyj's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Coastal Connecticut
Boat: Westsail 32
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

If you choose to stay with the outboard, you can still upgrade to a diesel later.

Personally I would want to nudge you agaist a used diesel. People don't give them up because of minor problems. They're workhorses that are actually hard to kill.

I have friends who had their engine go sour just about when mine did. They chose first to get a rebuilt used engine.

It lasted less than a year. They bit the bullet and put in a new diesel.
I actually was aware of that about used/rebuilt diesels.
Still, I appreciate the words of advice.
If I ever converted to diesel I would surely avoid trying to do it on the cheaps, which is actually exactly why I will probably never do it.
There is a hard ceiling on what I will spend on upgrades for this boat.
I'm fully aware that at some point I'm throwing good money after bad.
__________________
oblivionboyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:45   #28
Registered User
 
oblivionboyj's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Coastal Connecticut
Boat: Westsail 32
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Long term is a loaded statement. I would live in the now and run what you brung, so to speak. Enjoy the boat...work...save money and who knows...You and yours may want a different boat to spread your wings on.
If you dump a ton of money in your 8.7, it is doubtful any of it would be recouped.
You and I are on the same page here, which is why I'm going the DIY route whenever possible.
I'm not looking at the boat as an investment.
I expect it to be a fun expense.
So I plan to do the maintenance needed without going so far as trying to improve resale by any significant margin.

If I can rebuild the Atomic 4 for less than $1000 it will be worth my time and money.
Too far beyond that and I'm probably going to stay with the outboard.

I'm just asking for advice on options here.
Until I asked here I had no idea that rebuilds and engines cost what they do.

Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate it
__________________
oblivionboyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:52   #29
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Replacement Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivionboyj View Post
I actually was aware of that about used/rebuilt diesels.
Still, I appreciate the words of advice.
If I ever converted to diesel I would surely avoid trying to do it on the cheaps, which is actually exactly why I will probably never do it.
There is a hard ceiling on what I will spend on upgrades for this boat.
I'm fully aware that at some point I'm throwing good money after bad.

Well, you're the one who put out the idea of buying a used one -- and it doesn't make sense. You can go out and buy a slightly used car and get a really good deal on it. You can buy a used boat and enjoy the rest of your life on it.

But a used diesel is a whole different kettle of fish, and I know someone who got burned big time by doing it.

Interestingly, there were three boats that were going to go on that trip. Mine was one, and theirs was one. We didn't make it to Sarasota Bay area before it was clear the engine wasn't going to make it. My friends' engine gave up the ghost in 20 mph head winds between the Tortugas and Key West. Only one boat made the trip as planned.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:04   #30
Registered User
 
oblivionboyj's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Coastal Connecticut
Boat: Westsail 32
Posts: 115
Oh, I never mentioned buying a used or rebuilt diesel.
I know better.
A couple people have mentioned their problems with gas engines, but I don't really share those concerns.
From the beginning I have only considered 3 options here; just sticking with the outboard and converting the engine bay to another use, rebuilding the original inboard engine, or buying new.
The only option I'm still considering is the first 2, but rebuilding the original engine (at my leisure) is currently in the lead.
__________________

__________________
oblivionboyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
engine

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ranger 28 - Help Needed - Engine Alignment and Packing Gland replacement FlyingCloud73 Construction, Maintenance & Refit 4 28-06-2013 02:15
in-line 6 Cylinder Engines, 'straight-six' beiland Engines and Propulsion Systems 5 27-06-2012 22:27
Yanmar 3jh2 - Rebuild or Not ? Tom Hildebrandt Engines and Propulsion Systems 14 12-02-2012 13:34
Replacement Engine for Columbia 8.7 Sailboats Rock Engines and Propulsion Systems 4 09-02-2012 22:21
Xantrex Link Pro Sailagain Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 52 19-11-2011 18:54



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:33.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.