Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 12:59   #16

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Replacement Engine

Your boat probably came with an Atomic 4 gas engine. If I were you, I'd shop around for a used Yanmar 2 cylinder that has some life left in it. But that's just me being cheap again.
kind regards,
Old 03-07-2013, 13:07   #17

Beta Beta Beta if you do re-power. But it sounds like the outboard, then the rebuild are the most cost-effective paths.

If you call Beta they'll get you a quote and an honest, experienced opinion on power needed for your displacement.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 15:27   #18
Marine Service Provider

Atomic... BOOM... I would avoid an atomic like I avoid syphilis...
Old 03-07-2013, 15:58   #19

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLLCatsailor View Post
Atomic... BOOM... I would avoid an atomic like I avoid syphilis...

You must already have it, cause it makes you crazy. When is the last case of A4 boom you've heard of............ Michael...
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 16:32   #20

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivionboyj View Post
I have decided to go ahead an buy the engine that came out of my boat (the one I mentioned that was torn down for rebuild that will cost $150).

The engine is an Atomic 4...
Universal Atomic 4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The seller also turned me on to a parts and service source (which is is incidentally in my neck of the woods)...
Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Engine Rebuilding and Parts

The only item missing from the engine is a thermostadt, which will be a $37 item.
The seller says I will need to have the cylinder resleeved, but otherwise this engine is repairable.
My research is telling me that resleeving will cost around $150.
If we assume my time is worth nothing (which we will for the purposes of this discussion) I may be able to overhaul this engine for under $1000.
This is clearly going to be my lest expensive option.
If you decide against using the A4 after an overhaul you could sell on in and put the money into an updated diesel.
I don,t know why some here are turning their noses up at the Atomic 4. In their heyday they were one of the most popular engines in smaller sailboats and there are plenty of them still out there.
Surely a testament to their longevity and build quality.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 22:23   #21
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyjean View Post

You must already have it, cause it makes you crazy. When is the last case of A4 boom you've heard of............ Michael...
I just hate gas engines on a boat, unless it is an outboard... I won't deliver a boat with a gas engine...
Old 03-07-2013, 22:50   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post

I don,t know why some here are turning their noses up at the Atomic 4. In their heyday they were one of the most popular engines in smaller sailboats and there are plenty of them still out there.
Surely a testament to their longevity and build quality.
In their heyday they were popular because there weren't any competitive diesel options. This changed drastically during the 70s and especially 80s.

Here's my problem with gas engines and I've ha a few in boats:
A) dangerous fuel that is easily combustible
B) a lot of electronic items (distributor, ignition, etc) are needed for it to run. Electronics and a damp environment don't mix.
C) more susceptible to problems relating to moisture content and temperature

I could go on and on but were it me I'd put the $$$ into an older Isuzu or Yanmar.
SeattleYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 23:44   #23

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

One question which has not been asked...What type of sailing are you doing. Maybe an outboard is just fine. A friend of mine left his engine out and converted the area to a double birth.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 20:49   #24

Boat: Westsail 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
One question which has not been asked...What type of sailing are you doing. Maybe an outboard is just fine. A friend of mine left his engine out and converted the area to a double birth.
Coastal cruising is on the menu. I'm not sure how far we will be able to reach out so long as I have to work, but I'm also trying to think long term.
Not just how I will use this boat this year, but what will I want it to do in 10 years.
oblivionboyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 21:05   #25
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Coastal cruising is on the menu. I'm not sure how far we will be able to reach out so long as I have to work, but I'm also trying to think long term.
Not just how I will use this boat this year, but what will I want it to do in 10 years.

If you choose to stay with the outboard, you can still upgrade to a diesel later.

Personally I would want to nudge you agaist a used diesel. People don't give them up because of minor problems. They're workhorses that are actually hard to kill.

I have friends who had their engine go sour just about when mine did. They chose first to get a rebuilt used engine.

It lasted less than a year. They bit the bullet and put in a new diesel.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 21:32   #26

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Long term is a loaded statement. I would live in the now and run what you brung, so to speak. Enjoy the boat...work...save money and who knows...You and yours may want a different boat to spread your wings on.
If you dump a ton of money in your 8.7, it is doubtful any of it would be recouped.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:37   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

If you choose to stay with the outboard, you can still upgrade to a diesel later.

Personally I would want to nudge you agaist a used diesel. People don't give them up because of minor problems. They're workhorses that are actually hard to kill.

I have friends who had their engine go sour just about when mine did. They chose first to get a rebuilt used engine.

It lasted less than a year. They bit the bullet and put in a new diesel.
I actually was aware of that about used/rebuilt diesels.
Still, I appreciate the words of advice.
If I ever converted to diesel I would surely avoid trying to do it on the cheaps, which is actually exactly why I will probably never do it.
There is a hard ceiling on what I will spend on upgrades for this boat.
I'm fully aware that at some point I'm throwing good money after bad.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:45   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Long term is a loaded statement. I would live in the now and run what you brung, so to speak. Enjoy the boat...work...save money and who knows...You and yours may want a different boat to spread your wings on.
If you dump a ton of money in your 8.7, it is doubtful any of it would be recouped.
You and I are on the same page here, which is why I'm going the DIY route whenever possible.
I'm not looking at the boat as an investment.
I expect it to be a fun expense.
So I plan to do the maintenance needed without going so far as trying to improve resale by any significant margin.

If I can rebuild the Atomic 4 for less than $1000 it will be worth my time and money.
Too far beyond that and I'm probably going to stay with the outboard.

I'm just asking for advice on options here.
Until I asked here I had no idea that rebuilds and engines cost what they do.

Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate it
Old 06-07-2013, 04:52   #29
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
I actually was aware of that about used/rebuilt diesels.
Still, I appreciate the words of advice.
If I ever converted to diesel I would surely avoid trying to do it on the cheaps, which is actually exactly why I will probably never do it.
There is a hard ceiling on what I will spend on upgrades for this boat.
I'm fully aware that at some point I'm throwing good money after bad.

Well, you're the one who put out the idea of buying a used one -- and it doesn't make sense. You can go out and buy a slightly used car and get a really good deal on it. You can buy a used boat and enjoy the rest of your life on it.

But a used diesel is a whole different kettle of fish, and I know someone who got burned big time by doing it.

Interestingly, there were three boats that were going to go on that trip. Mine was one, and theirs was one. We didn't make it to Sarasota Bay area before it was clear the engine wasn't going to make it. My friends' engine gave up the ghost in 20 mph head winds between the Tortugas and Key West. Only one boat made the trip as planned.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:04   #30

Oh, I never mentioned buying a used or rebuilt diesel.
I know better.
A couple people have mentioned their problems with gas engines, but I don't really share those concerns.
From the beginning I have only considered 3 options here; just sticking with the outboard and converting the engine bay to another use, rebuilding the original inboard engine, or buying new.
The only option I'm still considering is the first 2, but rebuilding the original engine (at my leisure) is currently in the lead.

Tags
engine